What's your go-to low cal snack?

Options

Replies

• tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I really love apple chips. You can get organic baked apple chips from Costco, or make them yourself. Since I often crave both crunchy and sweet snacks, they're perfect for both. 1/2 cup is about 90 calories.

Popcorn
    Frozen greek yogurt dots (just dollop it on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet and freeze)
    Roasted Chickpeas
    Caprese Salad

When I'm lacking ideas, pinterest is my best friend. Just search "healthy snacks." Use your discretion, though, because some of the recipes that pop up aren't healthy at all.
  • pbbagel
    pbbagel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I guess it's not healthy because it's just 100% sugar and fat, but I like boiled sweets. I found some chocolate and vanilla flavoured ones recently, and they're really good. Especially after dinner if I have a craving for something sweet. Only 20 calories per sweet!
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    5 ready to eat stoned dates - about 120 calories and helps with my sweet tooth
    5 ready to eat semi-drmied apricots - about 90 calories
    individual portions of cheese/cheese strings - 70 - 90 calories
    celery sticks and greek yoghurt to dip
    carrot sticks/celery sticks and low fat hummus
    small pitta bread split and toasted then left to go cold and crunchy - 150 calories

muller light greek style coconut yoghurt plus a small handful of frozen sweet black cherries - whiz in a food processor or with hand blender - instant frozen black cherry yoghurt for 140-150 calories
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    okay, this will sound really strange, but it works for me. In the baby food aisle, I found flavored puffs... the finger food that is generally one of baby's first intros to solids... looks like cereal puffs. There are 25 calories per 1/2 c serving.... and about 5 servings per container... that means if I really wanted to, I could eat the whole container for only 125 calories. The puffs come in both fruit and vegie flavors... haven't ventured into the vegie flavor yet, but really like the banana flavored. Plus this "snack" has vitamin packed....

on a side note... also saw toddler servings of mac/cheese in small portions for like around 125 cal or so a serving... am tempted to try it to quench my random pasta craving...

I love fruit baby food in the little pouches. Stick it in the freezer and you have yummy fruit sorbet. You can also make your own by blending fruit and freezing it in small containers. (I always wonder why we can buy baby food without all the preservatives but not adult food...)
  • dazkeirle
    dazkeirle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Small apple with the seeds scooped out and replaced with peanut butter (usually about a 50-70 cal apple and 1T of PB is 95 cal)

That sounds AWESOME!
  • DMadelineP
    DMadelineP Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Just take popcorn seeds, put about a tablespoon in a bowl, put it in the microwave, and cap it with a plate.
    Boom... 30 calories in A CUP OF POPCORN,
    Feel free to stuff your mouth guiltlessly.
    Make more!
    (and use your non dominant hand while eating so you're more aware of what you've eaten)

And... ANOTHER UH-mazing snack is peeling and cutting 2 bananas, putting them in the freezer for 2 hrs, putting them in the blender (they'll stick to the sides, just keep pushing them back into the blades) and VIOLA:
    ICE CREAM.
    vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free ice cream... made from ONE fruit ingredient.....
    you're welcome...
    have fun!
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    carrot cut into sticks 26 cals - medium carrot
    medium apple 70 cals
    30g Cheddar cheese (Cathedral city) - cut into slices and in half like thin sticks 125 cals
    Store bought falafel (great foods) 58 cals

These are branded so not sure if only available in the uk:
    Weight Watchers dessert recipe yoghurts ~60 cals
    Jordan's frusili bar 117 cals
    3 Tesco garlic crackers 90 cals
    2 Mcvities fruit shortcake biscuits 76 cals
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    okay, this will sound really strange, but it works for me. In the baby food aisle, I found flavored puffs... the finger food that is generally one of baby's first intros to solids... looks like cereal puffs. There are 25 calories per 1/2 c serving.... and about 5 servings per container... that means if I really wanted to, I could eat the whole container for only 125 calories. The puffs come in both fruit and vegie flavors... haven't ventured into the vegie flavor yet, but really like the banana flavored. Plus this "snack" has vitamin packed....

on a side note... also saw toddler servings of mac/cheese in small portions for like around 125 cal or so a serving... am tempted to try it to quench my random pasta craving...
    Why did I not think of this.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Jelly beans for me
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Pickles for me! 5 cal per.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I posted earlier about the Gerber puffs ...great to see that others have tried these as well...was really surprised to see that it is listed in the foods.

I want to add that I tried the Gerber toddler cheese ravioli... 70 cal, I believe....actually not bad! I was planning on having a little snack to tide me over until dinner, but found the cheese ravioli very satisfying and fulfilling... A little on the expensive side, but at this point I'd rather pay a little more money than pay with a few extra pounds! ... love the idea that someone posted about the fruit in the squeezable pouches... pretty cool!

If I were in the foods industry, I'd consider packaging and marketing the "baby food" choices for adults!!! Wonder how long it will take before we see this idea presented on Shark Tank??? :wink:
  • Kamirose9047
    Options
    Veggies dipped in salsa. Also satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    baby carrots :) 35 calories in 3 ounces.
  • Shylisa77
    Shylisa77 Posts: 2
    Options
    Fage o% high protein
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just go to the baby food isle you'll see them, /gerber graduate puffs, they come in fruit and veggie flavors.:smile:
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Small apple with the seeds scooped out and replaced with peanut butter (usually about a 50-70 cal apple and 1T of PB is 95 cal)

Top this with raisins and you have my favorite childhood snack! The raisins really make it!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    fruit in any form
    cheese strings
    yogurt
    raw veg
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    Options
    Fruit!!! Cantelope, grapes, watermelon, grapefruit, all low in calories, filling and satisfying. You get the crunch and the sweet taste. I no longer eat sweets, I eliminated them from my diet. The cravings have went way down. I love popcorn too.
    :wink:
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    Options
    Just take popcorn seeds, put about a tablespoon in a bowl, put it in the microwave, and cap it with a plate.
    Boom... 30 calories in A CUP OF POPCORN,
    Feel free to stuff your mouth guiltlessly.
    Make more!
    (and use your non dominant hand while eating so you're more aware of what you've eaten)

And... ANOTHER UH-mazing snack is peeling and cutting 2 bananas, putting them in the freezer for 2 hrs, putting them in the blender (they'll stick to the sides, just keep pushing them back into the blades) and VIOLA:
    ICE CREAM.
    vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free ice cream... made from ONE fruit ingredient.....
    you're welcome...
    have fun!
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    Options
    I love this!