Anyone else feel like it is never ending?

Options
BigT555
BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
dont get me wrong, i know ive come a long way and by no means will i let this stop my progress, but i just feel like i would be alot better off at this weight. my original goal weight was 200, then i lowered that to 190 lbs but now that im approaching it i doubt very much that i will be happy and will probably end up lowering it again. i thought for a guy with a large frame like mine would be ideally 190 lbs but i still have a large amount of fat on my face, belly and especially chest at my current weight of 205.

i guess this is more of a rant than a question, but itd be nice to know im not the only one experiencing this

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I started at 215. My original goal was 190. I hit it and was disappointed. I lowered to 180. I hit it and was disappointed. Now its lowered to 170 and I am 178 and that probably won't be enough. However when I hit 170 I will not go any lower. I will just lift even heavier than I am now. I am 5'10 25 year old male with a medium/large frame. Its a long process but we will get there!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer, but it is never ending...your nutrition, fitness, health, etc are lifetime endeavors...you are never done. When you get to that "magic" number goal weight, guess what...you've just arrived at the starting line of a much longer and more difficult race. This is why it is important to put your energies into the process rather than letting a singular number dictate anything...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it happens...perhaps tho the answer is not more weight loss it's about fat loss....and yes there is a difference.

Have you been lifting weights during this weight loss? eating lots of protien? If not...you may want to start now.

I personally hit 165 (goal weight) and didn't like it either so I moved it down 10lbs to 155...I am at 156 and am fine now...

Knowing tho most of the weight I lost was fat not muscle and that over the next 6 months I will be eating at maintenance and lifting and probably losing inches still which means more fat loss (doing a recomp) and when I am at my 1 year lifting anniversary I will decide at that point if I want more weight gone or if I am still happy.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It is never ending. It's a lot of work to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but it's worth it!!!
    It definitely gets stressful at times, but keep at it. If you think you'll still be unhappy at 190 , then reevaluate your goals. Maybe do some strength training, if your not already. It really helps change the way you look.
  • BigT555
    Options
    it happens...perhaps tho the answer is not more weight loss it's about fat loss....and yes there is a difference.

Have you been lifting weights during this weight loss? eating lots of protien? If not...you may want to start now.

I personally hit 165 (goal weight) and didn't like it either so I moved it down 10lbs to 155...I am at 156 and am fine now...

Knowing tho most of the weight I lost was fat not muscle and that over the next 6 months I will be eating at maintenance and lifting and probably losing inches still which means more fat loss (doing a recomp) and when I am at my 1 year lifting anniversary I will decide at that point if I want more weight gone or if I am still happy.
    yea ive been lifting 3x/week since i started and protein is the only thing i track other than calorie counts so im up to par with regards to those
    Not to be a downer, but it is never ending...your nutrition, fitness, health, etc are lifetime endeavors...you are never done. When you get to that "magic" number goal weight, guess what...you've just arrived at the starting line of a much longer and more difficult race. This is why it is important to put your energies into the process rather than letting a singular number dictate anything...
    i suppose i need to re-evaluate my goals based more on my overall view of my body rather than just my weight, but i definitely understand that it never really ends, i was just referring to my actual fat loss goals. its just really frustrating setting goals like that and after approaching them realizing that they werent set low enough
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have specific goals, but like everyone else is saying even when you reach that goal you still need to maintain it and live the rest of your life healthier etc.. I have lost a lot of weight in the past and when i reached my goal i would just go back to eating badly.. there is no point in putting in all that hard work only for it to go to waste
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yeah....never ending. That's unfortunately probably the best way to put it. So many people want to put a positive spin on it calling it a "Lifestyle" or "lifestyle change", while others consider it the never ending tunnel of doom.

I have to look at it as: that's just the way it is - some things will never change. (feeling a bit like Bruce Hornsby today, apparently).

I always had to study harder for tests than the rest of my family and friends. I never picked up Tennis as well as my sister, but she never I will always have to be cognizant of my eating habits.

I would LOVE IT to not have it be that way. It just is.
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I originally had my goal as 150 and I was there and maintained for a while before the problems I had last year. But even at 150 I was not really 100% happy. Still had some problem areas I wasn't thrilled about. So I've been thinking this time that I am probably going to go down to about 140 and see how that goes. I'm doing a strength training program so trying to do that now and will continue after "goal" to see what happens. If I go to 140, I'm hoping to recomp some continuing the strength training to change my body shape some.

So I totally get it, as I'm not sure at this point what my goal even is anymore. Guess I'll know it when I see it. :ohwell: It does seem never ending, and hopefully at some point I can end this part of the journey and move on to the maintaining.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I've been feeling this way myself lately. It looks to me like we're in a similar place.

I'm happy with the weight I've lost. I'm much more energetic, I'm healthy, and I'm doing things that I can't imagine I could have done three years ago. I think I look fairly good, too -- not underwear model good, to be sure, but passable for a 47 year old.

But I can never quite reach my weight goal. I'd like to be at 155 and never quite get there. I sometimes kiss it briefly, but can't maintain there. It's just below the "normal" BMI cutoff (I know, I know, LOL BMI.) A part of me thinks that it's just not the right weight for me.

As soon as I reduce my vigilance, or go to a family gathering, or whatever, "Fat Jruzer" rears his head and all the old eating habits come back. I know how to regain control now, but it usually takes a day or two.

So yes, it does feel like it is never ending. I'd rather struggle than be fat, though. Happy Monday!
  • BigT555
    Options
    thanks for the replies guys, i think im just having one of those days. i plan too much, gotta go back to taking it one day at a time
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It won't end, ever. Even at goal weight... you'll probably end up eating close to what you are eating now, maybe just 200 calories more. It's a lifelong change.
  • BigT555
    Options
    It won't end, ever. Even at goal weight... you'll probably end up eating close to what you are eating now, maybe just 200 calories more. It's a lifelong change.
    yea i get that for sure, its not the fact that ill have to watch what i eat and keep exercising, in fact i love going to the gym and i have no difficulties staying under my calorie goal, its more me realizing that i have that much more time before i am content with my physique
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had your body fat measured? By either calipers or dex? It may give you a more realistic expectation of what your weight needs to be based on your current body composition.
  • BigT555
    Options
    Have you ever had your body fat measured? By either calipers or dex? It may give you a more realistic expectation of what your weight needs to be based on your current body composition.
    ive looked for calipers around the city with no luck, and ive heard dex's can be expensive and i dont have much cash to spare. definitely something ill be looking into again though, before i was just interested for curiosity's sake
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I had mine done at my local university by their dept of sports medicine. I wanted to calibrate it w/ my body fat scale, which was like $30 @ Costco. The two were virtually identical, so now I just go by the scale.

For the best accuracy, you need to check it on the scale first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, and before eating/drinking anything.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I changed my goal to BMI of over %18.5 and under %20. Definitely higher expectations than just in the healthy weight range for my height. But it gives me a definite ending range to shoot for that has more to do with personal health and appearance preferences than a number on a scale.