Why exercise?

Options
I originally included this in the thread:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1277139-here-is-why-i-measure-and-weigh-my-food
but was encouraged to start it in a new one, as I had gone a little off topic...

I had an epiphany about something "obvious" this morning - relating to the importance of "working out" in weight loss. This was considered as I walked back from my cardio class after a 4-week absence (due to holidays, illness and business travel). I have put on 5lbs in that time and have been eating badly...

I felt this realisation was too, absurdly obvious to share, but now I will: I think we all know that for the majority of us "lighthearted" exercisers, where burning more than 400 cals an hour is a real achievement - food is the main issue, calorie-wise. However, apart from burning calories, I notice how much an exercise regime influences my whole relationship with food, including (and I realise this won't be the same for everyone):
1. I don't skip breakfast - having got faint in one of my morning classes once, I got told off by the teacher for not having eaten anything before going
2. A cliché perhaps - but I feel energised after exercise. I simply feel less hungry afterwards
3. As I get stronger, my focus shifts towards beating times, repetitions etc - I am less obsessed by the number on the scale, which boosts my motivation and confidence, which in turn lessens my emotional eating
4. And finally, having put in a great workout where I have sweated and battled every second of it - reaching for a thoughtless doughnut later in the day, which will un-do all that hard work, just loses its appeal - the pleasure payoff is no longer there (or at least, it is less and therefore easier to conquer)

So, that's it. I know it won't be very illuminating for many - but I know that I NEED fitness in my regime, because of its positive knock-on effects as much for its simple calorie burn....

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I find the same things. (Though, I do skip breakfast a couple times a week - but I do eat a little something before working out if I am working out in the morning, which doesn't happen too often). I will add:

5. Exercise levels out my moods making it easier to avoid emoitional eating, which is were a lot of my "over" eating used to come from.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree...if I skip breakfast I feel awful...

And exercise for me now is about beating me...the old me...the me from 2 workouts ago...the me who used to sit on the couch all day...

And to top it all off exercise increases energy which means I get more other stuff done...housework, gardening etc...and my husband is very tired now....:bigsmile: and he is the younger one....:bigsmile: