Options
Hi Guys,

Over the last month, I have noticed that my weight loss is begining to stall:
Dec - 2.8lb
Jan - 6.6lb
Feb - 4.6lb
Mar - 8.2lb
Apr - 2.4lb

So I thought about re-evaluating my goals but not sure how to do it as I have only ever used MFPs own calculations.
MFP started me off on 1200 calories but after a couple of weeks I noticed I was still hungry at the end of the day and I was getting grumpy so I upped it to 1350 and that is where it has stayed since.

There admit that are a few days in my diary where I have gone over my calorie allowance but no where near 2000 calories.
I log everything using scales so my logging is accurate (except for when I go out for a meal but I always estimate by using similar foods or online menus).

I have used a BMR and TDEE calculator and this is what it has said (I was not sure what to put my activity level at so I put both no exercise and light exercise hence the 2 TDEE values).
I am a 29 year old female, I am 5 foot 5 inches and currently weigh 190.2lb

BMR - 1646
TDEE - 1975-2263

How do I use this to calculate what my calorie goal should be?
Would you leave it another month before changing or would you change now?

Any advise you have would be appreciated.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Looks like you still have about 50 or so pounds to lose. If that's right, then aiming for 1-1.5 pounds per week is reasonable. So a deficit of 500-750. I would go off of the 2263 TDEE - and aim for ~1500-1750 calories per day.

Based on the stats you gave I'm thinking the 2263 is a more realistic TDEE than the lower #. For comparison, I'm similar in height, but 39 & 151. So my TDEE would be lower due to age & weight. On a basic day, when I walk ~10k-12k steps (I use an activity tracker to make sure I move at least this much) then my TDEE is 1950-2150 depending on the day. Which is why I figured yours would be higher.

I would also suggest to set goals for yourself to increase activity. Whether its setting an amount of time per week, or # of steps per day, or whatever. Burns more calories, and has other health benefits as well. Personally looking at # of steps per day has made it simpler for me.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply :-)
    I have about 53lb to lose and I am for 1.5lb a week. (However, I have not been that slim in that long, I may stop before when I am happy).
    I have upped my calories and I plan to get more active :-)
  • GilesGuthrie
    Options
    I have found it very hard to stick to MFP's advised calorie intakes. I feel consistently hungry. So I have been exercising more, and trying to eat smaller amounts more often. Mid-afternoon is the killer time for me.

I divide my lunch into a number of sub-portions, then take 2hrs to snack my way through it at my desk, rather than just smashing it all into my face at the stroke of 12.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I think part of the issue you may have had between the bigger loss in March and the smaller loss in April is the fact that you were, on average eating about 125 calories more per day in April than you were in March....granted that really only adds up to an extra 3780 for the month, but it would be about a pound worth and if you had also backed off on general activity, then there are more calories lost.

I don't know if you need to re-evaluate, but I think being more consistent and aware of how many calories you are consuming is important. There is a report function (how I calculated your average cals/day for March and April) that you can use to determine averages and the like.

Also of note was the sodium levels. I'm guessing that you are actually consuming a lot more sodium than is being logged (packaged foods are usually very high) and that could reek havoc on water retention.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I think part of the issue you may have had between the bigger loss in March and the smaller loss in April is the fact that you were, on average eating about 125 calories more per day in April than you were in March....granted that really only adds up to an extra 3780 for the month, but it would be about a pound worth and if you had also backed off on general activity, then there are more calories lost.

I don't know if you need to re-evaluate, but I think being more consistent and aware of how many calories you are consuming is important. There is a report function (how I calculated your average cals/day for March and April) that you can use to determine averages and the like.

Also of note was the sodium levels. I'm guessing that you are actually consuming a lot more sodium than is being logged (packaged foods are usually very high) and that could reek havoc on water retention.

On top of this, I see that you log your restaurant meals in a generic manner. This could easily add up to another 3500 or more calories over the course of the month. I know you say you weigh/measure your foods, but make sure you are using the entry that matches the food you are eating and try to be a little more accurate in logging your restaurant meals. If you had a curry and are eating it at home, try weighing your portion of curry,=, rice, etc. and logging those separately. Instead of reevaluating or reducing your calorie goal, I'd suggest checking the accuracy of your log and go from there. Just 250 calories a day unaccounted for is 2 pounds per month.

ETA: I looked through 2 weeks in March and showed only 1 quick entry mine - restaurant takeaway, whereas the last week that I looked through I think it saw the equivalent of 3 or 4 restaurant takeaways quick logged?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're still losing weight... That's not a stall.
  • Chezzie84
    Options

On top of this, I see that you log your restaurant meals in a generic manner. This could easily add up to another 3500 or more calories over the course of the month. I know you say you weigh/measure your foods, but make sure you are using the entry that matches the food you are eating and try to be a little more accurate in logging your restaurant meals. If you had a curry and are eating it at home, try weighing your portion of curry,=, rice, etc. and logging those separately. Instead of reevaluating or reducing your calorie goal, I'd suggest checking the accuracy of your log and go from there. Just 250 calories a day unaccounted for is 2 pounds per month.

ETA: I looked through 2 weeks in March and showed only 1 quick entry mine - restaurant takeaway, whereas the last week that I looked through I think it saw the equivalent of 3 or 4 restaurant takeaways quick logged?

I only use the restaurant if I eat out so in March I ate out once. I do it in a generic manner but I work out the calories using similar. Then round up.
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    Thank you for all your relies. I will take everything said into consideration =)