healthy options

Options
dejareedubose
dejareedubose Posts: 39 Member
so im wondering if frozen dinners for lunch at work is really a healthy option i know that its better than fast food but is it really good for you.??

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Not for me because I'm always still hungry after eating it. I usually have a lean protein, veggies, and a serving of fruit, which fills me up and is less calories than some frozen meals. I batch cook on the weekends and then freeze into individual portions. Essentially I make my own frozen meals.
  • k8325
    k8325 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat frozen dinners, but I usually add a salad or I'll mix in steamed veggies to round it out and stay full. Depending on the size of teh meal and my calorie allowances, I may have 2. The sodium is probably the biggest issue.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad starting point. Add some more protein and veggies to it, and it'll be fine.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    As a "healthy" option no. When it comes to healthy eating, I just do not believe that processed foods with tons of sodium is healthy. However they are a great option to stick to your calorie goal :)
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's easer for me on some days to do the frozen thing. I usually go over on sodium though...
  • amydadeyrhodes
    amydadeyrhodes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I eat frozen dinners a lot for lunch. I need to get away from that. I think I would do better if I just made my own frozen dinners. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I actually wouldn't mind eating grilled chicken, brown rice, and a veggie. It is easier, but I need to stop doing it almost every day.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I used to do a lot of frozen meals, but found that they weren't helping me meet my macros and I would be hungry an hour or so later. Plus, after a while, they all pretty much taste the same...I'm a foodie, so that wasn't going over well for me!

Now, I try to either take leftovers from dinner the night before (I pre-pack my lunch when I'm packing up the rest of the food), or I have a sandwich. I try to keep sandwich supplies at work just in case I forget to bring something or I don't have any leftovers.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends.

Its probably not the BEST option but I do use them 1-2 times a week. Sometimes more. Depends on how well I do at planning ahead!
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I too freeze leftovers in containers, as I get bored of salad everyday and like a hot meal. Also quite cost saving. This week I have home made chicken chow mein (with loads of bean sprouts and other veggies) and chicken egg fried rice (cooked sw style). I also freeze hm soup.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine has some good ones, so do Weight Watchers, and Atkins.

If I had to pick one all time favorite though - out of the bunch - it would have to be Lean Cuisine Fajita Style Chicken Spring Rolls (only 200 calories - but very tasty!)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Maybe for those who want better options during the week instead of processed frozen dinners, could possibly meal prep on Sunday and make yourself some healthy frozen dinners. You can make fast and easy meals using the crock pot, one dish pasta, stir fry, baked chicken, and fish. There are so many options and just think for the $10 to $12 you could spend on getting 5 frozen meals (if they are on sale), you can use that $10 to $12 for a lb of chicken breast, a couple sweet potatoes or brown rice and some veggies to make a week long of healthy lunch options.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I cook extra food on the weekends and/or weeknights and take leftovers for lunches. Tastes way better than those frozen meals and actually fills me up!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Maybe for those who want better options during the week instead of processed frozen dinners, could possibly meal prep on Sunday and make yourself some healthy frozen dinners. You can make fast and easy meals using the crock pot, one dish pasta, stir fry, baked chicken, and fish. There are so many options and just think for the $10 to $12 you could spend on getting 5 frozen meals (if they are on sale), you can use that $10 to $12 for a lb of chicken breast, a couple sweet potatoes or brown rice and some veggies to make a week long of healthy lunch options.

Totally this, when you cook your regular meals portion up the leftovers into containers and stick them in the freezer. I find the frozen pre packaged meals that you buy are not filling enough and are often high in sodium.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    If you must.... try to pick one that has at least 3 grams of fibre to help fill you up, has less than 600 milligams of sodium, and is low in fat . Add veggies to it to stretch it
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals have too much sodium and don't fill me up like they should. They do if I'm in a pinch for food or am tired of what I've cooked. I will always cook a large meal and divided it up so I have lunch through out the week. It's cheaper that way too.