College Dorm Foods....

Options
wolfsbayne
wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
So, I have a graduating senior who'll be off to college in the fall. I want to pack him some non perishable foods to have on hand. He'll have a microwave and a Mini fridge in his dorm room. He's allergic to peanuts, so peanut butter is a no no. Suggestions?

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    Options
    anyone-anyone-o.gif

Anyone?
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    apples keep awhile in a fridge. also granola bars (if you avoid the peanuts or make him some homemade), beef jerky, popcorn, dried fruit, pretzels
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Cereal, cans of soup, oatmeal, if his fridge has a freezer you can get some frozen meals, any type of granola or protein bar, jerky...pretty much anything works. I really like oatmeal and cereal for breakfast.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! He'll be on a meal plan, but I know he likes to late night snack and as far as breakfast goes, well, he won't be up in time to eat it at the dining hall before his 1st class. He's a sleeper :laugh: as most teenagers are.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I kept a lot of tuna, pretzels, Triscuits, and canned fruit (the kind with the easy open lids). Oranges and other fruits with a peel keep pretty good in the fridge. Will his fridge have a freezer compartment? I liked to keep a couple of microwave pizzas froze, DiGiornos are pretty good.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    I kept a lot of tuna, pretzels, Triscuits, and canned fruit (the kind with the easy open lids). Oranges and other fruits with a peel keep pretty good in the fridge. Will his fridge have a freezer compartment? I liked to keep a couple of microwave pizzas froze, DiGiornos are pretty good.

I'm not sure if there's a freezer in there. I just know there's a fridge and a microwave.
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the bottled water. My son requests a case just about every week.
  • embrace_the_dark_side
    Options
    Honestly, the thing I remember about college was:

- Dining halls are pretty decent. I rarely needed to eat anything outside of that
    - I'm glad I was independent enough to learn to shop for myself rather than depend on my parents to ship me food. Independence was one of the best parts of college life

Take that as you wish.
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    So, I have a graduating senior who'll be off to college in the fall. I want to pack him some non perishable foods to have on hand. He'll have a microwave and a Mini fridge in his dorm room. He's allergic to peanuts, so peanut butter is a no no. Suggestions?

By him a crockpot and a refillable gift card to your local grocer. ;) He might stare at you oddly but the first time he comes up with the best stew in his entire dorm he'll probably thank the heck out of you!
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    Honestly, the thing I remember about college was:

- Dining halls are pretty decent. I rarely needed to eat anything outside of that
    - I'm glad I was independent enough to learn to shop for myself rather than depend on my parents to ship me food. Independence was one of the best parts of college life

Take that as you wish.

Well, I'm not shipping him food and he's pretty independent...has held down the same job for the past two years, paid off his truck, pays for half of the insurance on it, gas for it and pays for his cell phone. All while maintaining his rank of #10 in his graduating class. Yes, I'm very proud. He also buys any food for himself that he wants that I don't necessarily buy for the household as well as any other electronics or anything else that happens to catch his fancy provided he has the extra money. I know he can shop for himself, this is just something I'm putting together for him when I move him there for the first time.

Take that as you wish :flowerforyou: