Suggestions please :)

Options
This past spring/summer I found a new love for running outside and do so at least 3-4 times a week. Living in Iowa I know that I won't be able to keep this up for much longer since it is already cooling off considerably. In order to keep up my running I am looking to buy a treadmill, but have no idea where to start.

Do any of you have any suggestions to a good treadmill? Also when you order a treadmill what has been your experience with assembly?

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Most are all about the same, but I would invest in a heavy duty one that can handle 300lbs or more. I know your not even close to that much, but what that means is it will be sturdy and more accurate.

remember what they say, "You get what you pay for."
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I love our treadmill - it's very versatile with its settings and in the 8 years we've had it, it's been great. Our friend has a newer model as well and loves it ... And for the life of me I can't remember what it is :embarassed: ... I'll try to remember to get back to you on this, friend. xo
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I lucked out on my latest treadmill. It was a gift from my father-n-law. He bought a heavy duty treadmill, hopped on it once, and then gave it to me. It holds up to 350 pounds or something like that, and I run on it every morning.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    This past spring/summer I found a new love for running outside and do so at least 3-4 times a week. Living in Iowa I know that I won't be able to keep this up for much longer since it is already cooling off considerably. In order to keep up my running I am looking to buy a treadmill, but have no idea where to start.

Do any of you have any suggestions to a good treadmill? Also when you order a treadmill what has been your experience with assembly?

Thank you for your help!

That reminds me, do some research, but I layer my clothes for winter time running, and cover my face with a scarf. I wear a stocking cap because most of the heat is lost in the head, and I wear mittens. I'll run outside until the temps hit in the mid teens.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've had a Horizon treadmill for about 4 years or so. Love it! Got it at ****'s Sporting Goods store. Was on sale for $700 (original price was $1000 or $1100) & I got interest free payments for a year (by signing up for their credit card).

Assembly was a piece of cake (with my husbands help of course).
  • Hibpshman1
    Options
    If you are considering buying a treadmill go try the consumer ones out, then look at the cost of a gym membership for three or four years...and all the variety that comes with having a whole gym at your disposal. Treadmills, steppers, ellipticals, cycles, maybe even a lap swimming pool, weights, weight machines, etc.
    I was going to buy a treadmill until I did the calculation and it was much cheaper in the long run to join a gym near my house than to invest in quality equipment.
    Good luck with your search!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can get a lot of cold weather running gear for the price of a treadmill. Just something to consider.
  • capturethemoments3
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your help so far.

I don't have a gym that is at a location that is very convenient to me. The closest gym I have is 25 minutes away, which would probably deter me from going.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I live in New England and run outside all winter. My coldest run last winter was -10F. With the right clothes it is perfectly comfortable, and gives you a great sense of accomplishment! Something to think about. It forces me to get out and get fresh air all winter!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00624867000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=L10 and i love it. It is pretty expensive, but there's a reason. It's very sturdy and durable.

I live in Iowa also so I can understand. I ran in the 35 degree morning temperature the other day and it wasn't as bad as I thought it may be, but we both know when it gets down to 0 degrees and a negative wind chill in Iowa winters it would be hell to run outside haha
  • capturethemoments3
    Options
    Running outside right now isn't too bad, but I like to plan ahead. Once it gets to be 0 degrees like mdpeck said I know it won't be something I would enjoy. And then when the snow comes it would be even worse.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!