Runners- Can running tone the entire body?

Options
Runners- Can running tone the entire body? Also has anybody used Pilates
? Is it good for toning and how is it for burning calories?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Define "tone"?

I think generally what people mean by "toning" is seeing a bit of muscle definition, with a firm body? Basically lose the fat that's covering the muscle you already have so you can see them.

To reduce body fat percentage, a small calorie deficit is what you need. Some cardio doesn't hurt and allows more calories in since you're burning more, but adding some form of resistance/strength/weight training with that calorie deficit works best.

I've had my best success with dropping the fat and retaining my lean muscle with three days of running, and three days of weights each week. Workouts average 60 minutes or less each day. My calorie intake is based on my TDEE with my activity level figured in, and I've taken a 10-20% cut from the TDEE number (percentage depending on current goals).

Great info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    my leg muscle are getting toned, but my arms are like a 12 year old girl lol
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    No. In fact it can create imbalances if it is the only exercise you do. The core especially does not get worked during running.
  • e1ggam
    e1ggam Posts: 1
    Options
    Running isn't a good way to increase muscle mass at all! I thought it was, myself, because after I would run my muscles would hurt and I thought that was from building muscle. However, it's just due to muscles being tired. I had to have knee surgery last August because my muscles weren't strong enough to hold my knee cap in place because all I was doing was running.

From physical therapy I learned to lift weights and stretch well to keep joints and bones healthy. Right now I do heavy cardio 3x/week and then light lifting after that. Probably going to bump up a heavy lifting day. For heavy lifting I do sandbag exercises, which target more than one muscle group per move to get you more value for your lift.

I've also heard good things about piyo (pilates + yoga) which might be something to look into if you're looking for a class type scenario. I'm assuming you're a female from your name/profile pic, and assuming you've got two X chromosomes you're not going to bulk up by lifting. You'd have to try really, really, really hard to bulk up if you're worried about that from weight lifting instead of running/Pilates. Look up female body builder routines to see how crazy you'd have to get to bulk up instead of tone!

Also, you might be able to tone the entire body from running if you run with weights, but not on your body weight alone. Good luck!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by tone? Cardio, combined with a calorie deficit, can lead to all-over weight loss, which means that you will see more of your muscles. It will strengthen some of your muscles, but strength/resistance is really needed to increase muscle size. Cardio can help you remove the fat that is on top of the muscles. Eating at a deficit can help you remove fat on top of the muscles.

People can give you better information if you clarify what you want/what your goals are.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Running's a good way of burning calories. A calorie deficit helps you lose fat. Losing fat helps reveal the underlying muscle & give you more muscle definition - is that what you mean by "tone"? Trouble is, if you run a really large calorie deficit, and especially if you're not getting enough protein and you're not doing any resistance training, then you could lose muscle as you go along, and end up looking less defined and more flabby. Less toned, as it were. That's a risk if you do a lot of running and don't eat enough to support it. So, make sure you keep a reasonable calorie deficit, eat lots of protein and do some resistance training. Resistance work will help your running too, and help prevent injuries.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is a loaded question. If by tone you mean lower body fat and show the underlying muscle, then yes its possible, if you already have a great deal of muscle and don't create such a large deficit that you burn that too. Otherwise you are likely to lose weight (assuming you keep a deficit) but won't look very "toned". The magical toning comes from reducing body fat to show muscle if you already have muscle, or building muscle while losing fat, which is a long slow process thru recomp, or a series of cut/bulk cycles.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Running's a good way of burning calories. A calorie deficit helps you lose fat. Losing fat helps reveal the underlying muscle & give you more muscle definition - is that what you mean by "tone"? Trouble is, if you run a really large calorie deficit, and especially if you're not getting enough protein and you're not doing any resistance training, then you could lose muscle as you go along, and end up looking less defined and more flabby. Less toned, as it were. That's a risk if you do a lot of running and don't eat enough to support it. So, make sure you keep a reasonable calorie deficit, eat lots of protein and do some resistance training. Resistance work will help your running too, and help prevent injuries.

All this.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You need this

York_Barbell_300_lbs_Quad_Grip_Plates_Weight_Set.JPG
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    No. But running can inspire you to work on toning the rest of your body. If you don't add strengthening/toning to your running regimine, you'll end up with muscle imbalances that can really mess you up later down the road. This has happened to me on numerous occasions, and it just takes about 15 mins minimum of work a day and you can save yourself a lot of trouble later.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Running tones your wallet for sure
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Runners- Can running tone the entire body?

I wish.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I was called "ripped" when I posted my marathon pictures. Someone also used the word "jacked".. I don't really do anything besides run. My low body fat makes me look stronger than I am
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I was called "ripped" when I posted my marathon pictures. Someone also used the word "jacked".. I don't really do anything besides run. My low body fat makes me look stronger than I am

:huh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ohai I was told I could find Ripped here with a side of Jacked.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    It really works your quads, hams, calves and to some extent your abs.. I think doing strength and eating at a slight deficit really helps get the fat off though. Cardio is really just a bonus
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

....is this a joke? I"m confused.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    pics of ripped and jackness please:flowerforyou:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the body type.

I'm naturally very muscular, so when I run I drop body fat and I look very tone. My boyfriend is the same way. People ask him if he lifts weights because he has extremely defined and large biceps/shoulder muscles. He hasn't touched a weight since high school, but he is an avid runner.

I have friends who are runners who do not gain muscle as easily, and they are thin but without the same muscle definition as I have, so running does not help them at all in that aspect.

It's just genetics.

Unless you want to supplement your running with weight lifting, then you may be able to build muscle and tone that way.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Re: Running - In a word, yes. I have never been more lean than I have been as a runner.