Trigger foods suck

Options
2»

Replies

• JesGrn
    JesGrn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've found that buying single servings of things like chips and cookies or just goodies in general has helped me. I grab a single bag of chips and once its gone its gone. Its also been helping me have a bit more control of my kids portions as well which I like and they hate ;) .
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've found that buying single servings of things like chips and cookies or just goodies in general has helped me. I grab a single bag of chips and once its gone its gone. Its also been helping me have a bit more control of my kids portions as well which I like and they hate ;) .

My husband actually did that last month! He bought the big box of snack size chips--which was awesome for me, but then I noticed our 5 year old sneaking a bag here and there, eating more than he would normally consume (I dont have a lot of processed foods in the pantry normally).

However, I noticed if i did grab a bag of the snack size bbq chips that had 140 calories, it completely fulfilled my craving, which was awesome!
  • fitmek
    Options
    Get an air popper and put parmesan cheese or a little salt and pepper on it... great snack that isn't fattening, and you can control the salt content. I am bad when it comes to chips... I buy them innocently, but for some reason when I open the bag... I eat the WHOLE BAG! It is a problem. Being a single guy, though, I can just NOT buy them (which is what I do).

I will have to look into this air popper. We have a big movie theatre popcorn machine. I know normally we have to put a mixture in the popper for it to pop. Maybe we can just use that? I will have to look into how it works!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Cravings are hard. What I found works best for me to eat something healthy that fills me up, like vegetables of some sort, and then if I still have a craving just a few bites of it will solve it. The craving is far less strong when I'm not actually hungry. If I'm hungry, it can be disastrous.

My cravings are more carb and sugar related. And, I've also found that when I cut back on them, the cravings reduced considerably. I think there is something like withdrawl like the other poster said about the smoker. There is an addictive quality to certain foods, for a reason. And if you can back down on them, I bet the cravings will go away or be greatly reduced too. You might be surprised at how much your palate changes over a few weeks after eliminating a reducing the foods that trigger you the most.

I still most definitely have a sweet tooth, but since I reduced down on the sweets, it's much, much easier to manage. And I also feel that I get a lot more bang for my buck when I do indulged in the sweets.
  • fitmek
    Options
    Can you buy an air popper? They're cheap. You can spray butter substitute on it. It would be a huge difference. And nutritional yeast, if you like. The yeast is very high in B vitamins.
    You've lost weight pretty quickly. Any chance your calorie intake is too low?

I dont think so. I was losing steadily until the past few weeks when I started "a big treat here" and "a big treat there". Now it's like my stomach needs to shrink again, because my body is used to excess sugar and salt.
  • fitmek
    Options
    I have lost 14 pounds in a little over 3 months. I'm a popcorn and potato chip freak apparently. I was able to avoid late night pantry attacks for almost 2 months, but slowly started "cheating" and now I'm craving salt every single night at 10pm.
    First it started with black pepper skinny pop....it's completely ok for one serving, but I was taking the bag to the couch and eating 2 servings or half the bag---120 calories became 240 really quick.
    Now currently its reduced fat kettle chips. If i dont measure out 15 chips and walk away after putting the bag back in the pantry, then I will come back for more, even though I know its terrible.

My husband takes his lunch everyday and he has a very physical job, so the chips arent a big deal for him--so I dont want to discontinue buying them, but seriously...a little self control back in my life would be great.
    Ugh.

Learning moderation is one of the toughest things to do. I could not keep chips or nuts in my house because I absolutely love them and use to eat way more than a serving at a time.

When i decided to lose the rest of my weight last year, I made a commitment to eat what I want while staying in my calorie goals. For me,this was all about learning to eat the foods I love in moderation.

Now, I keep nuts and chips in my house. What I do is take out the food scale, measure out the serving, put the container away, and eat the one serving. If my calorie goals allow it, might have a double serving of chips, but not often.

I also make sure I eat enough foods and calories each day so I don't binge. Sometime I go over my calorie goals, but I have not binged in the almost one year while using MFP. I have control over food. I now eat to live not live to eat. I have completely changed my relationship with food. I no longer see anything as good or bad, and the only things I avoid are those food I am intolerant to.

It helps me to pre-log my foods. I weigh everything. Even if the bag says "10 chips" it was give the serving size in grams. I eat 28 grams, which is generally less than 10 chips.

I do have a scale and back in january and february I did use it religiously, but I also wasn't as hungry at night. Now I feel like I'm starving at night and even though I KNOW I should use the scale or measuring cups at the very least....I don't. It's totally a mental thing and it sucks. I'm a sucker for popcorn, in shell peanuts and kettle chips. If only I could be a sucker for raw broccoli, cucumber or cauliflower. :-/