I ran my first 5k!

Options
I posted a few weeks ago about how upset I am that since I started running I've gained weight. I think a lot of you showed me that I need to not eat back my exercise calories or use running as an excuse to eat more :) You reminded me that I'm running for me and not a number on the scale. You were all so kind!

Saturday, 1 month and 3 days after starting running I ran my first ever 5k!!! At 270 pounds I finished 192/330 in my age division with a 13:42 minute mile. I ran most of it, walked some of it, pushed myself harder than I thought I could, fought with my doubts telling me to stop and I DID IT! Slower than I wanted but you know what? A month ago I would have laughed at you if you had told me I'd run a 5k.

Just do it. You'll be so proud.

Overweight? Get supportive shoes
Boobs jiggle? Get a better bra
Too fat? Train on a track or a treadmill with more "give"

If I can do it ANYONE can. Next year I'm running the half! Watch me!

Replies

• Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I posted a few weeks ago about how upset I am that since I started running I've gained weight. I think a lot of you showed me that I need to not eat back my exercise calories or use running as an excuse to eat more :) You reminded me that I'm running for me and not a number on the scale. You were all so kind!

Saturday, 1 month and 3 days after starting running I ran my first ever 5k!!! At 270 pounds I finished 192/330 in my age division with a 13:42 minute mile. I ran most of it, walked some of it, pushed myself harder than I thought I could, fought with my doubts telling me to stop and I DID IT! Slower than I wanted but you know what? A month ago I would have laughed at you if you had told me I'd run a 5k.

Just do it. You'll be so proud.

Overweight? Get supportive shoes
    Boobs jiggle? Get a better bra
    Too fat? Train on a track or a treadmill with more "give"

If I can do it ANYONE can. Next year I'm running the half! Watch me!

Great job!!!!! You go girl! What a wonderful feeling of accomplishment it will give you!
  • tr66
    tr66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congrats! thanks for the inspiration. I am looking to get past my own mental block that I can do it.
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options
    Awesome great job
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!! Way to stay after it!
  • teisha98
    teisha98 Posts: 13
    Options
    Awesome..... I am a runner as will and I love. The weight will come off just keep running.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Well done :-)
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    That is great. Well done
  • vickee13
    vickee13 Posts: 31
    Options
    Well done, you'll be running Marathons next.
    I'm working towards been able to run 5k, have managed a 25min jog this morning. This time 2 weeks ago I struggled to jog 2min!
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    This brings a tear to my eye. congratulations on your FIRST of many 5K's train hard and good things happen. Keep up the great work. it only gets better. soon you will be running 10Ks. great job!!!
  • sprungerj1
    sprungerj1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am running my first 5K this saturday. My inner voice is telling me that I cannot do it and just back out. I jog very slow - my son says I walk faster than I jog LOL. Your post makes me say I CAN DO THIS. Thanks for the motivation.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    Congrats! I am running my first 5K this saturday. My inner voice is telling me that I cannot do it and just back out. I jog very slow - my son says I walk faster than I jog LOL. Your post makes me say I CAN DO THIS. Thanks for the motivation.

don't let your mind tell you something you can't do. you can do it. just take in the run. let it flow through you. let it take over your body and don't think about the pain. pain is temporary, quitting last forever. never give up.
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options

You can do it! I promise. I also thing some people walk faster than I run. It's all mental. My lungs burned. My legs burned but I just kept going. You've got this in the bag!!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options

You can do it! I promise. I also thing some people walk faster than I run. It's all mental. My lungs burned. My legs burned but I just kept going. You've got this in the bag!!

such a great attitude. i was once in your same position and now I'm running my first 10K in oct. I have a 5K this weekend. you will soon find 5Ks are too short and just for fun. I normally run anywhere from 6.2 miles to 6.5 miles. I'm going to extend it to 7 miles soon. congrats again on your accomplishment. you have a great attitude and you are doing great. Add me as a friend if you like. I would love to hear about your running journey.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yay! Very happy for you! I am working on C25K and really hoping I can say the same soon!
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You are seriously inspiring!! I am running my first 5k on Saturday and I'm so nervous!!! Thanks for posting this.
  • running_tall
    running_tall Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!

You go girl!!! Flaunt that fierceness!!!!!
  • threeohtwo
    Options
    Yay! Very happy for you! I am working on C25K and really hoping I can say the same soon!

I don't know if this will help you but C25K did not work for me. If it does for you go for it! but I just couldn't run for 20 minutes straight so I'd always give up. I've build my endurance with interval training. If you want more info on that let me know!
  • threeohtwo
    Options
    You are seriously inspiring!! I am running my first 5k on Saturday and I'm so nervous!!! Thanks for posting this.

Don't be nervous!! You are going to rock your 5k! Don't be scared to run intervals if you need to. :)
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I hope to sign up for one soon, too.