Tracking Other Nutrients

jellyhurwit
jellyhurwit Posts: 4
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Are you bothered by the fact that this website only tracks really basic elements of the human diet?
Do you have another means of tracking the rest of your nutritional intake?

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Looks like you just joined...maybe you should actually take a look around first...

What do you want to track?
  • B12 would be a big one.
    I don't see any place to put it in in recipes or anything. :\
    Other things like Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc, Manganese, Folate, etc.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    What else would you like to track? MFP allows you to choose 5 of 17 different things to track at a time and you can change them at any given time to see what the others are. Fat, Saturated fat, poluunsaturated fat, monounsaturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, potassium, carbs, fiber, sugar, protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and iron. They are all listed under your food diary settings.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    B12 would be a big one.

Ah. Yeah those aren't on here. Just the biggies.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    B12 would be a big one.

B12 is probably easy enough to track on your own. There are a bunch of vitamins and minerals you can track.
    And in regards to the recipes, like I said...look around : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator
  • B12 is probably easy enough to track on your own. There are a bunch of vitamins and minerals you can track.
    And in regards to the recipes, like I said...look around : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

I said I don't see any place to put that (the nutrients in my post) specific nutritional information in recipes.
    I was just wondering if anybody used any other kind of program to track that information.

It's mostly a matter of convenience, which is one of the reasons this website is here, I'd imagine. I'm sure we can all keep a personal logbook of calories consumed in a day after analyzing our food. It's that much easier if there's a well-maintained database with input from other people.

plus, uh, those items are slightly important for proper nutrition

Does anybody track the quality of their proteins, or have concerns with amino composition? That's just a general question.
  • amkingrn
    amkingrn Posts: 35 Member
    sparkpeople.com has B12 on their list of nutrients you can track. I think they have about 75 nutrients to choose from. They also have an app for your smart phone much like myfitnesspal. The only problem I have with sparkpeople is they don't seem to have as large of a food database as here...from my experience not even close. I personally really like myfitnesspal much better for my needs, but some of the features may be a good companion to myfitnesspal for you to track things not available on here...yet :)

There is a message board for tech support/suggestions I think. You could bring it up in a post to them and they may can work on adding more nutrients to track.

Good luck!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member

plus, uh, those items are slightly important for proper nutrition

uh, maybe, but most people come to a site like this because they want to lose weight
    yes, there are other important vitamins and minerals needed for proper nutrition, but people who are looking to rid of fat are mostly concerned about watching their calories and macros, along with sodium and fiber
    try sparkpeople
  • I guess I'll check out sparkpeople, thanks y'all.
    I actually found this nutritiondata.self.com a little while ago. It's a pretty useful companion but really doesn't have any social elements or a massive database like here.
This discussion has been closed.