body fat percentage questions..

Options
So I'm interested in measuring my body fat and using this to track my progress instead of scale weight. I'm already at my goal weight and don't want to lose more, but I would like to lower my body fat %. Can anyone recommend a method to track BF%? I looked online for a rough estimate using my measurements but that gave me ranges from 19% to 36%! (so that's NO help haha).

Looking at ordering a caliper perhaps, any recommendations? Are digital calipers better? (also preferably something I can get in Canada or sent to Canada). Thanks! :)

Replies

• ZakMoon
    ZakMoon Posts: 13
    Options
    I think it'd be worth buying a pair of calipers, not sure whether the digital ones are more accurate though.

I find that the scales which send an electric pulse through your body aren't that accurate, eg if you drink water before using them, the body fat percentage can be higher.

CALIPERS!
    http://www.amazon.ca/Beachbody-ACCBODFAT2101-Body-Fat-Tester/dp/B003JU3G4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399307225&sr=8-1&keywords=Body+fat+calipers
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try this method - All you need is the tape measure and this website

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/training/body_fat/body_fat_percentage.html

I can't afford calipers or anything right now - but at least I am following a trend according to this site and I can tell that my bodyfat is decreasing!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you get the calipers you will probably need someone to take the measurement for you since you'll have to take them from between 3 and 7 spots.

I think as a tool to have in your tool box calipers are a good way to track progress. The only issue that I had with them (I'm assuming they come with the chart that you use to determine your BF%) is that it is completely dependent upon your age. Where I used to work there was a fitness center and I would get my BF% checked every 6 months or so to keep track and I noticed that when I moved up to a new age range my BF% went up considerably. The exact same measurements that were taken were quite a few percentages lower for someone who was in the age bracket before (so for example if the age bracket was 25-30 and then 30-35 or whatever the percentage for say the 25-30 bracket said 17% where as the same measurements for the new age bracket was 20 or so).

So I wasn't keen on that because IMO that meant it wasn't accurate.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/training/body_fat/body_fat_percentage.html

I can't afford calipers or anything right now - but at least I am following a trend according to this site and I can tell that my bodyfat is decreasing!

At least this website only gave me one response! :) according to this I am 18.9% :) I entered in my starting measurements and it says 36.3%. I still think I'm going to buy some calipers though and double check, but it will work for now :)
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    If you get the calipers you will probably need someone to take the measurement for you since you'll have to take them from between 3 and 7 spots.

I think as a tool to have in your tool box calipers are a good way to track progress. The only issue that I had with them (I'm assuming they come with the chart that you use to determine your BF%) is that it is completely dependent upon your age. Where I used to work there was a fitness center and I would get my BF% checked every 6 months or so to keep track and I noticed that when I moved up to a new age range my BF% went up considerably. The exact same measurements that were taken were quite a few percentages lower for someone who was in the age bracket before (so for example if the age bracket was 25-30 and then 30-35 or whatever the percentage for say the 25-30 bracket said 17% where as the same measurements for the new age bracket was 20 or so).

wow that is odd! I can understand that as age increases you might need a different BF% depending on hormonal changes and stuff like that, but odd for % to change :/ I just thought it was like a percentage of your weight that was body fat.

disclaimer: not sure if I make sense lol
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

wow that is odd! I can understand that as age increases you might need a different BF% depending on hormonal changes and stuff like that, but odd for % to change :/ I just thought it was like a percentage of your weight that was body fat.

disclaimer: not sure if I make sense lol

I thought it was odd too. I watched the girl do her calculation and then consulted her chart and it was a lot less if I was younger (even by a YEAR)!

I'm not saying it's not a good tool to keep track (and after reading this post I'm thinking of getting my own for tracking purposes) I just find it interesting that it's that off.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

At least this website only gave me one response! :) according to this I am 18.9% :) I entered in my starting measurements and it says 36.3%. I still think I'm going to buy some calipers though and double check, but it will work for now :)

To be frank measurments can be off..it gives me 25.9% mainly because I got a big butt...

Calipers lead to error as well they are only as good as the person doing the measuring and can be thrown off by hydration levels.

Dexa scan is most reliable..barring that having someone visually estimate is the next best thing...but they have to know what they are doing..

ETA: Big in front of Butt...my hips are 38 inches but most would guess 36...
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Nothing but hydrostatic or dexa (ETA), which you would have to seek out and pay for every time, is very accurate. Pick something, stick to it, and pay attention to the trend. Caliper readings can be way off if someone doesn't know what they are doing, or worse, you are trying to do it yourself.

I would do several online calculators, post your pictures on the body fat estimate thread, pick the calculator that was closest to their expert estimation and then watch the trends on that one.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105598-bodyfat-estimation-thread

You could also compare yourself to the people on this website and then pick your calculator:
    http://www.bodyfatpics.com/

ETA: some calculators, such as the military bf one, say that I'm in the 25% range when I'm only in the 19% range because of my hips, same as the poster above.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Like a bunch of folks have said, it's going to be difficult to get a good reading, but I personally think there's value in taking the measurements...

Hydration level is probably the biggest factor in measurement-to-measurement skew but, if you're as consistent as possible about how and when you measure (e.g. always in the morning, always after you "go to the bathroom"), then you can at least track the general trend and have some confidence in the trend-line itself, if not in the exact accuracy of the individual measurements.

The combination of calipers and body-tape that I linked to above is good for that type of tracking, especially if you're at a point where you're focused more on body-fat to lean mass ratios and measurements than you are weight.

Just keep in mind that body fat percentage changes a lot more gradually than weight, especially towards lean mass, and rigorous exercise can cause you to retain water (related to rebuilding muscle). You may get what appear to be wonky swings here and there, so focus on the trend-line.
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    Like a bunch of folks have said, it's going to be difficult to get a good reading, but I personally think there's value in taking the measurements...

Hydration level is probably the biggest factor in measurement-to-measurement skew but, if you're as consistent as possible about how and when you measure (e.g. always in the morning, always after you "go to the bathroom"), then you can at least track the general trend and have some confidence in the trend-line itself, if not in the exact accuracy of the individual measurements.

The combination of calipers and body-tape that I linked to above is good for that type of tracking, especially if you're at a point where you're focused more on body-fat to lean mass ratios and measurements than you are weight.

Just keep in mind that body fat percentage changes a lot more gradually than weight, especially towards lean mass, and rigorous exercise can cause you to retain water (related to rebuilding muscle). You may get what appear to be wonky swings here and there, so focus on the trend-line.

great advice, thank you! :) I know weight fluctuates a lot so it would make sense that it would be the same for BF% :) I'll just look at the trend and hopefully I can get it to go in the right direction ;)
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    Since I can't afford much of anything - I just use that site I gave you - like it has been said - at least I can see the trend line, even if it isn't 100% accurate on the actual number.

According to the chart I've dropped about 9% - so at least I know its moving in the right direction.
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    Went to walmart today (in Canada) hoping they sold BF % calipers but no luck :( I'll check the links posted for amazon and hopefully find one for a decent price :) Thanks again for all the advice!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I don't see how body fat estimates for women can be accurate when they don't measure breasts or hips.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't see how body fat estimates for women can be accurate when they don't measure breasts or hips.

It really depends on which method you're referring to, but there's some statistical analysis that's factored in for caliper measurements, tape measure methods do account for some of that and, even in women, hips and breasts aren't all fat. :)

With that said, when it comes right down to it, that type of variability is why hydrostatic body composition testing is going to be the most accurate.

ETA: That's also why I think it's easiest (and cheapest) to focus on the trend line, rather than worry about the exact accuracy of the measurements.
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    The site I referred to uses the Hip measurement for women.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Calipers and tape measures are good for tracking trends in body fat but using them as an absolute body fat measurement can vary widely.

Here is a good write up on the subject courtesy of Waldo.

http://strengthunbound.com/measure-body-fat-easily-accurately-home/
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't believe callipers are a wise investment. Measuring BF% with them is more of an art and you need skilled hands to get accurate readings with them.

I have an Omron HBF-500. It may not be the most accurate measurement device in the world, but it is consistent. I have also read a few (unscientific) articles and tests on various scales and found that Omron devices were the most accurate (2% variance).

The only way to get an accurate measurement would be to go to a facility that has testing equipment and getting it done there.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm already at my goal weight and don't want to lose more, but I would like to lower my body fat %.

That could very well be not possible. If you are going to use body fat % as a measure, then you are going to stop using the scale to measure fat and muscle at the same time, but you will use the scale to measure them separately anyway.

Imagine that to get to your goal fat % you have to lose 2lb of fat and you only gain 1lb of muscle. You are gonna lose 1lb in the process.

I get what you mean, though. I just wanted to point out that you may lose weight in the process of losing fat. Muscle is not easy to gain. Just be conscious of that.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Withings scale for a number of years. I always weigh-in in the morning right after I wake up and empty out and the trendline is what I go by.

Here's the fat mass percentage graph from the past 6 months:

k3vvwg.jpg