Final countdown to marathon questions:

princesspurple
princesspurple Posts: 688
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello...I ran my half in April w/ a 2:16:01....I am running a full on 11/7. I didn't run a lot of long distance over the summer. I started a 10 week plan..I did a 14 miler last week-didn't go well-I didn't eat beforehand. It took me 2 hours and 34 minutes. I got home, I cried, my legs cramped so bad!
This week, I ate a piece of toast w/ pb and half of a banana. I brought along some gatorade, (normally only have H2O) and ate 1.5 fun size snickers along the way. I ran 16 miles in 2 hours and 38 minutes, only added 4 minutes w/ 2 extra miles. The last 2 miles were a little tough, but I felt great afterwards.
I have a few questions...
1)My schedule says my long run is 18 miles this week, next week is a taper week, then the marathon....is 18 enough prior to a 26.2?

2)What do you do when your legs feel like they can't push anymore...do you use creams, ibuprophen along the way, etc...?

3)I have only really been running since January, a coworker says this is too soon?????

Any suggestions on making me finish the 26.2 strong...5 hours is my final goal, would love to do 4.5 hrs but am okay w/ just making it:)

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    I always aim for 20 miles before a marathon and make sure to have 2-3 weeks of tapering. Tapering is very important in order to give your muscles time to repair themselves so you are strong for the run. There is a lot of research on this. Clearly, having enough of and the right fuel is important to get you through successfully. Figuring out the right fuel for yourself is very important. I find I must eat a slice of whole wheat bread with peanut butter and honey and have my Shakeology before a long run. Then, every 45 min to an hour I eat a GU even if I don't feel like I need it. This helps me keep my energy level throughout the long run. If I wait until I feel depleted or hungry it is too late for me. I alternate water and gatorade (2 ounces or so) every 2 miles.

I am telling you what I do so you have some ideas but it is important to figure out what works for you before race day and then do what works on race day.

Most importantly...DO NOT TAKE IBUPROFEN before or during a run. It can lead to very serious health problems. For cramps, bring salt packets with you and eat a salt packet washed down with water.

There is a lot of good running info out there to read too. I highly recommend anything by Jeff Galloway or John Bingham.
    Hope this helps and good luck!
    Risa
  • 1) I ran my first 2 marathons with 18 miles being my longest run each time. It is enough to get you to the finish.
    2) Please don't take meds. See this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37341523/ns/health-pain_center/
    It has really good info on why you shouldn't take ibuprofen before or during a marathon. I heard John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield speak at an expo once and they said if you have to take meds for the pain, then you shouldn't be running because it can really be dangerous. Try taking a walking break? I haven't had the problem with legs so hopefully someone else can give you suggestions.
    3) Many plans say that you can train in 4 months, which is pushing it a bit but if you have made it this far with no injuries, I think you are okay.

My own opinions- Please, please don't put any kind of time limit on your first marathon. You should be free to feel nothing but a sense of great accomplishment the first time you cross that finish line. Realisitically experts say you should double your 1/2 time and add 10 minutes and that will give you an estimate in which to run a full, in which case a reasonable goal for you would be maybe 5:10. I just don't want you to feel disappointed. Sooo, how about the major goal is to finish (which you said!) and if you do it in 4.5 - 5, then that's an extra bonus!! I hope that all made sense. I just want you to have the best experience possible! After all, you are going to be running further than you ever have, that's amazing!!

I have trained for 5 marathons and run 4 and I am definitely still learning. :bigsmile:

Best wishes to you!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    1)My schedule says my long run is 18 miles this week, next week is a taper week, then the marathon....is 18 enough prior to a 26.2?

2)What do you do when your legs feel like they can't push anymore...do you use creams, ibuprophen along the way, etc...?

3)I have only really been running since January, a coworker says this is too soon?????

Any suggestions on making me finish the 26.2 strong...5 hours is my final goal, would love to do 4.5 hrs but am okay w/ just making it:)

congrats on the runnin!! :flowerforyou:

1. yes it's good 2 taper off b4 the run. u don't wanna b runnin too much just b4 the marathon b/c u'll overwork urself.

2. u may wanna try a deep muscle massage altho don't do it just b4 the marathon. u may wanna do it abt 2wks prior.

3. no, it's not 2 soon. i've known of schedules that work a beginner out for 26wks b4 the marathon so u're good 2 go on it.

i don't have any suggestions except 2 make sure that u have a fanny pack or somethin of gatorade & snacks 2 eat on the run. do NOT try somethin new DURIN the race!! :noway: u could end up w/the runs or worse.. injured.. :frown:

if u wanna try somethin new then do it at LEAST a few wks b4 the race. i suggest doin it durin a short run so that way if u have a bad reaction u won't b so far out...

Good luck on the marathon! i'm sure u can do it!! :flowerforyou:

oh, btw: if it's cold durin the marathon u'll find that u can run longer b/c ur body doesn't heat up as fast. & vice versa if it's hot. so beware of the weather. if it's hot then u'll need 2 make sure u're PLENTY hydrated & stocked up on supplies. if u go 2 a runnin store u can ask abt all the cool stuff that they have. i prefer the gummi carbs. they're like gatorade but r in the form of gummi cubes :smile: it'll b easier on ur tummy that way than a snickers.
  • It does seem kind of soon to me, so be extremely careful.
  • IRun24
    IRun24 Posts: 30
    I agree with the two first posts! I've run more than a dozen halfs and a couple of fulls and training for an ultra next fall.

1. My first marathon I only managed to get in a long run of 17. I ran super conservative during the race and ended up having negative splits the entire second half. I've always run competitively, so I had a pretty good idea of how I'd do so I had a time goal in mind. That being said, I wouldn't suggest setting a time limit on your first race.
    2. NO MEDS. I hate to say it, but at that distance, yours legs are going to hurt GUARANTEED - no matter who you are or how hard you train or if you walk the entire thing. It's going to hurt to keep going, it's going to hurt to stop. You just have to be mentally prepared to push through it to achieve your goal.
    3. You'll be fine.

Fuel is going to be important, however, that's something that should be figured out during training runs. Before I race, I eat two slices of toast with PB, a banana, and water. During the marathon I use GU every hour or when I feel like an extra "boost". And please please please stop at EVERY water stop - even the ones in the first few miles.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I'll echo what most have said; FUEL is very important on long runs otherwise you'll definitely bonk. Shoot for 150-250 cals/hr minimum, and start taking in calories around the 45 mins mark so it has time to absorb without depleting all your glycogen stores.

DO NOT TAKE IBUPROFEN or any pain meds during heavy physical activity. Your liver & kidneys will thank you.

Also, try an ice bath after long runs (over 12 miles). You don't necessarily have to put ice in there, but just sit in cold water in the tub (covering your legs at least) for 10-15 mins. I know it sounds torturous, but try it. I find if I sit in the tub, then add the water it's not as a shock as just jumping in the tub with water in it already. This will also help with recovery.

Finally, have a recovery drink within 30-45 mins after your long run (and race), like Hammer Recovery (or similar). This will help reduce recovery time, and help reduce chances of injury.

Hope that helps.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Hello...I ran my half in April w/ a 2:16:01....I am running a full on 11/7. I didn't run a lot of long distance over the summer. I started a 10 week plan..I did a 14 miler last week-didn't go well-I didn't eat beforehand. It took me 2 hours and 34 minutes. I got home, I cried, my legs cramped so bad!
    This week, I ate a piece of toast w/ pb and half of a banana. I brought along some gatorade, (normally only have H2O) and ate 1.5 fun size snickers along the way. I ran 16 miles in 2 hours and 38 minutes, only added 4 minutes w/ 2 extra miles. The last 2 miles were a little tough, but I felt great afterwards.
    I have a few questions...

Most plans will get you up to 20 miles for your longest run, but that is usually a 16 week plan. If you are on a 10 week schedule, max-ing out at 18 is reasonable. You want to be running about 15 miles a week comfortably at the start of your 10 week program, otherwise you won't have the endurance base from which to build on. If you ran a 1/2M in the spring, running a full M six months later should be no problem, if you have been keeping up your running.
    Most longer plans give you 2-3 weeks to taper. Make sure you take advantage to rest during your taper. You will need fresh legs to tackle your race.

I prefer running on an empty stomach for short runs, but anything over an hour, I'll have a gel or toaster waffle or something to help keep me going. If you are running for over 60- 90 minutes, you should carry some gels (or sports drink or clif blocs or something) to help hold you over. It will help prevent cramping. Plan on a gel every 45-60 minutes. (You really want to practice this stuff before the race so you know what agrees with you and what doesn't). If you are running in real heat, carrying electrolytes may also be a good idea, but not likely to be that hot this time of year.

If your legs feel too heavy to keep running, take a walk break. I find it too hard to get going again if I stop and stretch, but a walk break should give you enough recovery to get going again. If you are really struggling, set an interval, like walk for a minute every five minutes, so you take a break before you are really fried.

Beware of taking ibuprofen etc during or before your long runs, especially if you expect it to be a struggle. If you are pushing your limits and maybe a little dehydrated, you will damage your kidneys.

Based on your 1/2 M time, your fastest realistic goal is probably in the range of 4:45, so don't get crazy trying to make 4:30. Better to run smart and finish than to push for an unrealistic pace and have to quit after 20. For your first, you really shouldn't be pushing for a goal time anyway; just have fun and run it for the experience. You can alway shoot for a faster time on the next one.

Finishing strong is all about setting a pace you can maintain and still have a little kick for the finish. Keep hydrated and get some calories in so you don't fade out.

Ray is right about the ice bath too. I don't do them routinely, but they will help your recovery. I get in the water first, then dump in the ice, so it's not so much of a shock. Make sure you have a good cool down and stretch after all your long runs too.

Good Luck!!
  • I missed your 1/2 time and was going off your 14 mile time when I suggested 5:10. Oops! Sorry about that. Runnerdad is right, 4:45 then would be reasonable, but I still think that the finish line is more than enough of a goal for your first marathon. Good luck!
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Wow, girl you are cutting it close...you need to be careful, believe it or not I bailed out of a marathon because I wasn't ready due to an injury, I cried and felt like a failure and a total loser but I weighed the risks.

You do have another option, you can run/walk the whole thing you probably have a pretty decent base, the only thing is it will take you a while, so hook up with some other walkers and enjoy the marathon and the energy, then sign up for another one and redeem yourself.

Look up Galloway...he's got some great tips and advice. Good Luck and have fun!
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Awesome advice runnerdad!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    I am not a real big fan of tapering. It only takes about a week for your running fitness to deteriorate...ONE week! Also, at least for me, the mental game is 80% of the battle so I made sure I could run 24 with some gas left in the tank. I would say listen to your bod (do what feels GOOD), keep it fueled and hydrated, and walk through every aid station. GOOD LUCK! :happy:
  • Thanks everyone! I am excited and nervous. I am determined! I will finish it. Are you still a marathon 'runner' if you don't run the whole thing:) I hope so!
  • Did it! 4:35:22.................way better than I thought I could!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Did it! 4:35:22.................way better than I thought I could!

great job!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Did it! 4:35:22.................way better than I thought I could!

WTG!!!

So what did you do in the end, did you taper your training, what did you eat beforehand, did you hit the wall?
  • :sad: Thanks guys! In the end..I did an 18 miler the Sunday before, and did a 5,2,2 during the week. I never really hit the wall, at mile 19 I was thinking..why did I decide to do this...but I finished stronger than I thought, I ran at the end, I didn't crawl
This discussion has been closed.