What to eat before and after a workout

Options
Giddyduck
Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
I have heard so many different things. I am curious to the recommendations. I go to a HIIT gym 6 days a week which we do 2 days a week of cardio kickboxing, 2 days of week of strength training, and 2 days a week of bootcamp for 45 minutes each day. Usually at 0530 in the morning.

I am presently eating a half apple with a half tablespoon of almondbutter before and then I have a protein shake (carnivore). I then get to work at about 0730 and have a greek yogurt with strawberries and chia seeds.

Any advice if this is the best thing?
Thank you

Replies

• PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Looks fine! Eat whatever you feel is best to perform at the gym. Some people like training fasted, some like carbs before.

As for the food after, everything is ok if you're hitting your goals at the end of the day. Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track. I myself don't like to eat before I work out, I would rather work out with an empty stomach, after the gym I have a protein shake also to aid in recovery.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter, a few wheat Ritz crackers, or yogurt and an apple. The key is to not overeat
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Whatever is going to help you perform. I don't eat anything before my lunch rides save for my breakfast several hours earlier...I usually have an apple and some almonds on my way to the gym in the evenings to lift and a protein shake followed closely by dinner afterwards. On my weekend long rides when I'll be spending 3 hours plus on my bike I have a full breakfast about an hour before...usually bacon, eggs, potatoes, toast and jam, and orange juice to wash it all down, plus I eat while I'm riding and then have a big recovery smoothie when I get home.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I would rather work out with an empty stomach, after the gym I have a protein shake also to aid in recovery.
    Def this.
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    I recently read an article about meal timing. It depends on your goals, obviously, but fasted cardio raises cortisol levels and has a detrimental effect on muscle mass. It recommended training while in the absorptive phase but what you're doing sounds pretty spot on.