Is 2.5 lbs/week too aggressive for a 178 lb female?

Options
I'm 5'8 currently 178lb as of today.
My ultimate goal weight is 145
My current goal weight is 160, which is a weight I'm very very comfortable at.
I have to admit I was disappointed that as of last week (I was 180) I lost only exactly 2.00 pounds. I worked out 6 days last week w/ 40 minutes of cardio if not more. I started the week with 1500 calories a day but was still hungry so I ended the week with 1600-1800 a day :( I ate pretty healthy but I was really hoping for a 2.5 pound lost. I'd like to lose the first 10 pounds a bit faster and then settle down to a 1.5-2.0 pound lost/week. Should I cut the calories back to 1500? At least until I reach 168? Or is that too unreasonable?
I've also decided only to do cardio until I reach 160. I know that I should do strength training and I will but right now I would just like to be around that weight as soon as possible since most of my summer clothes from last year were for that weight since that's what I was.

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're setting yourself up for disappointment which is only likely to lead you to giving up altogether. You said you were disappointed and you used a frowny face and you *only* lost 2 pounds. Thinking like this has only led me to fail in the past. I would get frustrated when I'd *only* lose a pound and heaven forbid if I saw a gain. You know what? I never met my goals because it was nearly impossible to meet the lofty 2 or 3 pound per week goals I would set and at the first or second setback I'd give in to my frustrations and eat (partly because of my emotional connection to the scale and partly because I was frustrated at being so "good" and not getting what I *deserved*).

I've worked on changing that mindset and it's helping. Try to be rational about your goals and think of what the benefit will really be if you lose quickly. Will it really make a difference 6 months from now if you lose 1.5 pounds per week instead of 2.5 pounds per week for the first 10 pounds? That means it would take you 6 or 7 weeks instead of 4 to lose the first 10 pounds, but you know what? Is it worth it to go hungry all the time and risk failing because you are disappointed? Your immediate goal is 18 pounds...that's just around 4 months to meet the goal if you lose 1 pound per week. Wouldn't you rather lose it at a reasonable deficit and manage your expectations than try to lose quickly and give up when you keep failing?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 currently 178lb as of today.
    My ultimate goal weight is 145
    My current goal weight is 160, which is a weight I'm very very comfortable at.
    I have to admit I was disappointed that as of last week (I was 180) I lost only exactly 2.00 pounds. I worked out 6 days last week w/ 40 minutes of cardio if not more. I started the week with 1500 calories a day but was still hungry so I ended the week with 1600-1800 a day :( I ate pretty healthy but I was really hoping for a 2.5 pound lost. I'd like to lose the first 10 pounds a bit faster and then settle down to a 1.5-2.0 pound lost/week. Should I cut the calories back to 1500? At least until I reach 168? Or is that too unreasonable?
    I've also decided only to do cardio until I reach 160. I know that I should do strength training and I will but right now I would just like to be around that weight as soon as possible since most of my summer clothes from last year were for that weight since that's what I was.
    So you're disappointed that you lost 2 pounds in a week! You need to be more realistic other wise you're in for a big fall. In reality you should be aiming for around 1 pound a week. If you lose it to fast you're likely to lose muscle as well and you are more likely to be unable to sustain it.

Is losing weight just about fitting into some clothes for this summer or your long term health? That's the choice you need to make if you take the former route in all likelihood you'll fail I'm afraid
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first poster. and, yes, 2.5lbs a week is too aggressive.
    Look at this:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

This is a guideline for how much you should try to lose to be healthy and meet your goals. If you try to lose too much in a short amount of time, you will have too large of a deficit and you will not be getting enough fuel for your body. Anything worth doing takes time and effort, don't try to go too fast.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of disappointment in your future. .5 - 1lb a week is a lot more realistic. Good luck to you.
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So is my 1500 cal/day not a good idea? What should my calorie goal be then to be on a healthier track?

Look at this:

This is a guideline for how much you should try to lose to be healthy and meet your goals. If you try to lose too much in a short amount of time, you will have too large of a deficit and you will not be getting enough fuel for your body. Anything worth doing takes time and effort, don't try to go too fast.
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm 245, male, 5'9". I started at 246.5 on April 21st, have logged meticulously (and stayed at a calorie deficit everyday), started exercising regularly including weight lifting. Got 243.5 on the scale on Friday, but this morning was 245. So I have a total weight loss of 1.5lbs for 2 weeks.

I feel SO much better than I did two weeks ago and had to tighten my belt a notch. I'm pretty sure I've shed fat in excess of what 1.5lbs of scale weight loss would tell you. Don't obsess so much about what a scale tells you. If you exercise, lift weights, eat enough protein and eat a reasonable calorie deficit, the consensus is that you will see more of the results you're looking for (fitting into clothes) than if you crash through lbs while starving and burning up your lean muscle.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    So is my 1500 cal/day not a good idea? What should my calorie goal be then to be on a healthier track?

Look at this:

I can't tell you right off hand, but here are some links that you may find helpful. These go over everything from calories, measuring food, exercise, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

In case this doesn't show up in any of the other links, here is a calculator to help you figure out what you should be eating daily based on your stats and activity level.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have very similar stats as you and I'm on the -1 a week plan. I eat about 1800 calories, and do 1 hour of cardio and strength 5 days a week. I'm not ever hungry and I never beat myself up. I started at 199.5 and I've gotten down to 175.5 in about 5 months (so lost about 24 lbs.) I have done it many times in the past with 1500 calories or less and I give up because it's not sustainable.

Please be proud of yourself and remember that it's a marathon and not a sprint.

I advise you to check out the Health and Fitness inspirational quotes on pinterest. I use them whenever I feel down. There were weeks I lost no weight. There were weeks I gained a pound or 2. I just remembered to trust in the process and it got me to where I am today. :)
  • Thatannachick
    Options
    I'm looking at how people say it's too aggressive. I started at 179, and since I'm 5'8 I knew I need to get back down to a normal weight. The thing that makes me nervous is that it's been 2 weeks and I weigh about 170-171 now so I've lost like 8-9 pounds in 2 weeks? I'm thrilled with my weight and how quick it's going but should I slow down? I think 2.5 is fine because it'll make your results go quicker. As soon as you're finished, don't forget to eat healthy and keep exercising. I'm not exactly sure of my weight at the moment but I took a 1.6 mile walk and .3 miles today. I'm on vacation and I've been really active lately so I think I'm getting better
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Thatannachick - bad advice! You probably lost a lot of water weight. It's not sustainable, especially at your weight. Quick results at this weight tend to lead to a quick gain once you start to eat at what should be maintenance (after getting to goal). Why the rush? Why not eat as much food as you can while slowly losing weight and learning how to eat for life? This is a journey and not a race - this is how you should be eating for life. If I tried the -2 lb per week thing, I would never learn how to eat the way I want to once I hit my goal as it wouldn't be sustainable.

Listen to the wise words of those who have been here for a long while...they are in the know. And do check out the links!
  • lelyke
    lelyke Posts: 47
    Options
    2.5 is roughly a kg, I don't see anything aggressive in losing a kg a week.