Gaining Weight

Options
Hi Everyone,:

I guess I just wanted to ask for your advice. I am struggling with body image, I am underweight: 52kg and 174cm tall and I know I should be at least 58-60. I know that I need to eat more and gain weight but I am afraid it won't go to the right places (that it will go to my legs instead of my upper body/ribs - it's where I am really bony). I guess I just need to know that its okay to gain weight, that I'm not going to look absolutely horrid. I'm not severely underweight but my periods have stopped.
I do eat everything I am given (my mother is watching me) but I know I should to and need to eat more than that to be able to gain weight.
My daily food plan looks like this:

Breakfast:
1/2 cup of oats
Full Cream Milk
Banana

Snack:
6 Vegemite Vita Weets

Lunch:
Usually a wholemeal bread sandwich (usually vegemite or some leftovers from dinner)

Snack:
Mandarin and some green tea

Dinner:
Whatever my mother cooks

Snack:
Glass of milk with mass gainer (roughly 500-600 calories)

Can anyone add to that/change that to ensure I get enough? I think I need around 2500 to gain weight and I am just afraid and need your help.
Also I was wondering if I need to exercise? Should I exercise? If so what and how often?
Thanks everyone,
Rebecca.

Replies

• jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    This sounds strangely like you may have had an eating disorder since people are keeping an eye on you. In that case, please talk to a proffessional as everyone is different. You don't have to exercise and usually it is best not to....or to only to walks/yoga at first.
  • Becca539
    Becca539 Posts: 15
    Options
    I was on the verge of one, it was seriously bad and I talked to my mum about it and she was beginning to worry about my weight.
    So it's okay not to exercise at this point?
  • matt6050
    matt6050 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was on the verge of one, it was seriously bad and I talked to my mum about it and she was beginning to worry about my weight.
    So it's okay not to exercise at this point?

Totally ok not to exercise at this point. In fact, it will be better for your body to not exercise until you get to your ideal weight. After you hit that weight, then feel free to hit the gym
  • Becca539
    Options
    Thank you, I was just unsure if it was necessary so not all the weight gain was fat. Do you have any advice on my diet?
  • salb40
    salb40 Posts: 1
    Options
    HI Becca

I have always found that carbohydrates put weight on me the quickest.I know it's hard when you are unhappy with your self image ,but tbh who IS happy with themselves,not many ! Don't worry about where you will put on weight ,i don't think it's possible to be choosy .Just try to relax and eat what you fancy when you fancy it.Sometimes counting calories makes things worse.X
  • Becca539
    Options
    Thank you! I honestly just needed to hear that it's going to be alright. So really, thank you :)
    Do you have any advice on what to eat? My mum cooks my dinner so I have no control about that.