Quick Breakfasts

Options
I'm new here so I figured I would get out there and start asking questions!! I don't have a lot of time in the mornings (I have to be to work at 6am). I really don't WANT to cook something but if need be I don't mind cooking something quick. Anyways, I need some low cal breakfast ideas. I love nice tasty food. I do like cereal too. I eat a lot of Kashi cereal with almond milk. But I would like something that would hold me over a little bit. Any input would be fabulous!

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    One of the best hold me over foods is Oatmeal or any whole grain foods. Throw in a little Whey in any of your foods and get the extra protien to help hold over as well.
  • MrsMills712
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Nature Valley Trailmix Fruit & Nut bars. It's 140 calories, and keeps me full until lunch.
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    EGGS!

I have eggs 5 days a week at leas! 2 eggs on a slice of toast with a bit of cheese and salsa. Or perhaps a quick omelet with eggs and cheese and veggies? Eggs give me enough energy to get me to my first snack of the day or sometimes even lunch.
  • hmrtym
    hmrtym Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I buy the egg whites in a container. Quick to make, just pour and cook, and a SMALL pinch of cheddar cheese and eat with a whole grain sandwich thin. It lasts me through to lunch and is satisfying! Feel free to add me as a friend for more support!
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Oatmeal. Or you can cook some steel cut oats and boil some eggs in advances to take on the run. Yum yum yum!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Think Thin Crunch Mixed Nuts & Chocolate Bar
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My breakfast this morning was super yummy and I have it occasionally - an everything bagel thin, poached egg, wedge of laughing cow cheese with a lil dab of taco sauce! Sometimes I will put tomatoe & spinach on it too. It's only about 225 calories and does hold me over for quite some time. All together this takes maybe, maybe ten minutes!

I also will cook up a batch of steel cut oats on the weekends and add berries or apples and have that with egg whites - again low in calories & super quick since you made it ahead of time.

My highest calorie breakfast is around 350 and its Zoi honey yogurt with Flax berry crunch cereal. It is rich and creamy and tastes so much like a dessert!! I'm trying not to have it this week because I love it SO MUCH and don't want to end up hating it!!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    After 120 days at this Healthy Lifestyle change, I have realized if I want to feel full, and be satisfied with my breakfast, I have to fix something. It can't be "QUICK" per say. My best " GO TO" breakfast is 1/2 c. Quaker Old Fashioned Oats with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1 Tbsp of Sugar Free Maple Syrup, along with a EggBeater omelet with turkey bacon and a little bit of cheese. That always does the trick.
    Seems like a lot of work, but it really isn't. It always does the trick!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    mini bagel or light english muffin or sandwich round (100-110 calories)
    sliced ham - i use publix sweet ham 1oz (35 calories)
    reduced fat kraft deli select cheese slice (60 calories)

coffee with splenda and SF cream (30-35calories)

some fruit (60-120 calories)

i can usually get out the door with breakfast to eat in the car for around 325 calories or less each morning depending on the bread and fruit i have for the day.....
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    After 120 days at this Healthy Lifestyle change, I have realized if I want to feel full, and be satisfied with my breakfast, I have to fix something. It can't be "QUICK" per say. My best " GO TO" breakfast is 1/2 c. Quaker Old Fashioned Oats with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1 Tbsp of Sugar Free Maple Syrup, along with a EggBeater omelet with turkey bacon and a little bit of cheese. That always does the trick.
    Seems like a lot of work, but it really isn't. It always does the trick!

I agree that if you want to be satisfied, taking the time to fix a meal is best. i'd say about 15-20 minutes to assemble and eat is pretty quick. If you make that time to actually make a recipe, you will end up feeling better than grabbing some granola bar, heating pre-packaged oatmeal, or something like that. The above 'go to' breakfast is a great way to start the day! it contains various food groups as well as a sweet/salty, hearty combination. Some kind of combo. of egg, meat, grains, fruit, dairy, or even veggies is what makes a healthy breakfast. Experiment with what works for you and good luck!
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Fruit smoothie - frozen fruit, your choice of milk. Can add a yogurt, some whey or flaxseed. Blend it all together and enjoy!
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Be prepared the night before! Hungry Girl. com has some good Egg Beater recipes that you can microwave. Look to see if any of those can be prepared ahead of time, then you can pop them in the microwave in the morning.

I buy the Jimmy Dean D-Light breakfast sandwiches, which are also microwavable. They microwave even faster if you defrost them in the refrigerator over night. Weight Watchers has some too.

Make yogurt parfaits the night before. Layer yogurt, frozen berries and granola (or something crunchy) in a to-go container to take with you in the morning.

Hard boil a bunch of eggs on Sunday and take one with you each morning (maybe along with a yogurt or some fruit?)
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    My favorite fast breakfast is 1/2 cup Fage yogurt, with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 gram of crushed walnuts. It is very filling and very delicious.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Fiber + protein is your best bet to be satisfied.

The Kashi takes care of your fiber. So eat some yogurt or cottage cheese on the side and you should be satisfied for a few hours.

Quick oats (not oatmeal packets...too much added junk) with a bit of brown sugar/cinnamon + hard boiled egg/cottage cheese/greek yogurt is also a good idea.

I do quick and easy breakfasts during the week myself. I save eggs and the like for the weekend and the dinners where I really want breakfast!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Oh and have a serving of fruit as well! Some frozen berries mixed into your oatmeal or cottage cheese or a small banana on the side.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I eat a special K protein meal bar every morning with a yogurt and a piece of fruit! Very filling and all very easy to throw in a bag.
  • Buppie
    Buppie Posts: 43
    Options
    Here is something you can make ahead - calories depend on what ingredients you use...

Pie crust or crescent roll tub spread out in a pie plate (use the low-fat version)
    whisk 6 eggs (or equivalent in Egg Beaters/Egg Whites) with low-fat cheese (1/2-1 cup), fresh or defrosted frozen spinach, mushrooms and either turkey bacon or turkey sausage (both already cooked).
    Pour onto crust, top with more cheese
    Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until set.
    Slice (6-8 slices per pan)
    You have a healthful, hearty breakfast every day. Store in the fridge, heats up well in microwave.

Best part is, you can play with the ingredients! I make this on a Sunday and have breakfast ready to go every day!