EATING CALORIES

Options
should i eat my exercise calories back?? i calculated my exercise and I burn 600 calories per hour (MFP says its 783).

I use that calculation, so do I eat them back ?

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I would eat at least 50% back, granted you're not using the TDEE method.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    should i eat my exercise calories back?? i calculated my exercise and I burn 600 calories per hour (MFP says its 783).

Where did you calculate them? I see 70 minutes of HIIT 1 minute for 10 minutes in your diary, but MFP doesn't have a HIIT entry.
    It is not likely you burned 700 calories in an hour. Plus, if you did 70 minutes, it wasn't HIIT. HIIT should be at such a high intensity that you wouldn't be able to maintain the required intensity over 20 minutes or so.

To answer - if you are following the MFP method, you should be eating your exercise calories back, or at least some of them. That has to be balanced with accuracy of logging. It is very difficult for someone of average size to burn that much in one hour.
  • hasilovess
    hasilovess Posts: 36
    Options

Where did you calculate them? I see 70 minutes of HIIT 1 minute for 10 minutes in your diary, but MFP doesn't have a HIIT entry.
    It is not likely you burned 700 calories in an hour. Plus, if you did 70 minutes, it wasn't HIIT. HIIT should be at such a high intensity that you wouldn't be able to maintain the required intensity over 20 minutes or so.

To answer - if you are following the MFP method, you should be eating your exercise calories back, or at least some of them. That has to be balanced with accuracy of logging. It is very difficult for someone of average size to burn that much in one hour.

i did my entry myself using HMR thats why I put 600 per hour... hence 700 per 70 minutes. I do HIIT every ten minutes 1 minute at peak heart rate.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

i did my entry myself using HMR thats why I put 600 per hour... hence 700 per 70 minutes. I do HIIT every ten minutes 1 minute at peak heart rate.

You are likely getting an inflated burn from your HRM. That is extremely high for what you are doing (again assuming you are within average weight since you are about 10lbs from goal). What are you doing for the low intensity minutes?
  • hasilovess
    Options

You are likely getting an inflated burn from your HRM. That is extremely high for what you are doing (again assuming you are within average weight since you are about 10lbs from goal). What are you doing for the low intensity minutes?

moderate elliptical trainer and HIIT every 10 mins... and i weight 170 lbs. 6 ft 4 inches
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    At 165lbs I typically average 100 cals/10mins for running. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see somethin in ye neighbourhood of 700 calories burned for 70minutes, depending on how 'moderate' that elliptical inbetween is. If you can talk still, maybe deduce a few calories.
    And yes, eat them back. Or a consistent amount of them. In the end, if it is part of your routine, and you notice your weight loss isn't going as planned, you can always adjust your calories...
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    At 165lbs I typically average 100 cals/10mins for running. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 700 calorie burn for 70minutes, depending on how 'moderate' that elliptical inbetween is. I you can talk still, maybe deduce a few calories.
    And yes, eat them back. Or a consistent amount of them. In the end, if it is part of your routine, and you notice your weight loss isn't going as planned, you can always adjust your calories...

Elliptical is about half the MET of running. 100 calories per mile is about average for 150lb person so I would not be surprised to see 600 calorie burn for an hour either. But since OP was talking about doing HIIT with 1 minute of high intensity and 9 or 10 minutes of lower, unless they were jogging during the lower, I expect 600-700 to be too high. Considering it is an elliptical, I do believe the number is inflated.
  • hasilovess
    Options
    At 165lbs I typically average 100 cals/10mins for running. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 700 calorie burn for 70minutes, depending on how 'moderate' that elliptical inbetween is. I you can talk still, maybe deduce a few calories.

Elliptical is about half the MET of running. 100 calories per mile is about average for 150lb person so I would not be surprised to see 600 calorie burn for an hour either. But since OP was talking about doing HIIT with 1 minute of high intensity and 9 or 10 minutes of lower, unless they were jogging during the lower, I expect 600-700 to be too high. Considering it is an elliptical, I do believe the number is inflated.

I weighted myself today and lost like 6 pounds in 1 1/2 week... idk whats wrong. Im sure I burn 700 calories due to my HRM, but i think its still more because consuming 3000 calories daily is supposed to be maintenance but im losing weight...
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Im sure you are burning 700 in that amount of time. You dont really know how many calories you may be burning through the day or after workout and you can do is make an estimated guess using tdee methods etc. I usually go by how I am feeling, if I am hungry then I eat more of the burned calories, if you losing your probably burning more than you think! When I would do hiit type workouts it definitely revs my metabolism.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I weighted myself today and lost like 6 pounds in 1 1/2 week... idk whats wrong. Im sure I burn 700 calories due to my HRM, but i think its still more because consuming 3000 calories daily is supposed to be maintenance but im losing weight...

I don't understand. You post here, and post in Gaining weight. More information is needed. Are you trying to maintain? If you are, why are you doing over an hour of cardio a day?
    If you are losing weight on 3000 calories then it is not your maintainance, these are all just estimates. Although if you are losing 6 lbs in a week and half that can't all be fat.
    How are you measuring your food?
  • hasilovess
    Options

I don't understand. You post here, and post in Gaining weight. More information is needed. Are you trying to maintain? If you are, why are you doing over an hour of cardio a day?
    If you are losing weight on 3000 calories then it is not your maintainance, these are all just estimates. Although if you are losing 6 lbs in a week and half that can't all be fat.

I want to maintain.
    I measure ALL my food, even spices.
    Im always in a carb surplus in my macros, I always reach protwin goal and stay very low on fat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I want to maintain.
    I measure ALL my food, even spices.
    Im always in a carb surplus in my macros, I always reach protwin goal and stay very low on fat.

Then you need to eat more, or cut back on calories being burned. Or a combination of both.
  • hasilovess
    Options
    ok thank you