Low/No sugar dessert ideas for Holidays/Birthdays Please!!!!

Options
2BeHappy2
2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
For holidays, birthdays etc, we usually provide the cake/ice cream or whatever dessert while the men do the cooking at my husbands parents home (especially for mothers day/her birthday)!
This is the 1st year of holidays where 2 members within our families have recently found out about having diabetes, not high #'s but it's still past the recommended "normal" #'s.
Still wanting to do have something special, I was wondering if anyone had any great recipes for desserts?
We're so used to ordering a DQ cake (or something similar) but I'm willing to take the time to make something , if it's not too complicated & time consuming!
Please let me know if you've tried it & how it turned out (was it good, would you make it again & was it hard to put together etc.).
Please no recipes that require hard to find or odd sounding items :huh:
Thanks!

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    What exactly is an "odd sounding" item to you? Let's not use arbitrary terms, here. People can't read your mind.

Whipped fat free cream cheese sweetened with Stevia, eat with fresh strawberries as a dip.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    What exactly is an "odd sounding" item to you? Let's not use arbitrary terms, here. People can't read your mind.

Whipped fat free cream cheese sweetened with Stevia, eat with fresh strawberries as a dip.

Umm...odd sounding would be something that I would have to take to the dictionary to find out what it is.
    Thanks for this suggestion but I'd like something slightly more than that.
    I don't mind the effort so I'd like to find something that's more enjoyable for everyone...especially people who I know don't enjoy cheesecake so they most likely wouldn't enjoy a cream cheese dip!
    Thanks for the suggestion!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    what about an Apple and Strawberry pie with stevia instead of sugar? It'll be a bit higher in fat if you use lard for a proper crust (Crisco be naaaaaaaaasty) but the only sugar you have would be from the fruits, both of which are low glycemic index and glycemic load.
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options

Lol gotta love when people are complete ****s over dessert recipes. Yes, it is imperative in this situation that nobody use any arbitrary language! What madness could ensue?!

My mom made a chocolate cake the other day and the only sweetener was coconut milk. It was delicious. I also second the baking with fruit idea.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Sushi cake. Seaweed is low cals. Lots of rice can be used. + cheap + sushi = yummy.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    what about an Apple and Strawberry pie with stevia instead of sugar? It'll be a bit higher in fat if you use lard for a proper crust (Crisco be naaaaaaaaasty) but the only sugar you have would be from the fruits, both of which are low glycemic index and glycemic load.

Thank You!
    Sounds appealing :smile:
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Angel Food Cake
    Homemade whipped cream
    Choose your berries and chop them up then add stevia to create the juice( if you prefer), but it's good without as well.

You have options of course.
    -Cut the cake into layers and then put back together layering the cream and berries in as well.
    -Fold the berries into the whipped cream and use as frosting.
    -Serve the cake already sliced and treat it as create your own with different toppings to choose from.

My grandmother would make many different variations with Angel Food as the base.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Angel Food Cake
    Homemade whipped cream
    Choose your berries and chop them up then add stevia to create the juice( if you prefer), but it's good without as well.

You have options of course.
    -Cut the cake into layers and then put back together layering the cream and berries in as well.
    -Fold the berries into the whipped cream and use as frosting.
    -Serve the cake already sliced and treat it as create your own with different toppings to choose from.

My grandmother would make many different variations with Angel Food as the base.

This not only sounds really good & do-able but it would present very well for this upcoming holiday...Mothers Day!
    Thank You so much :flowerforyou:
    It has the "cake" and of course the fresh fruit and even some whipped cream that everyone can enjoy!