HRM... the old school way

Options
All the posts about HRMs got me thinking... Would it be ok to just calculate my HR the old school way (finger on pulse point w/ a clock)? I don't have the cash to run out and buy an HRM, but I would love to have a more accurate way of calculating my calories burned... I know it might not be as accurate as an HRM that keeps track of the calories I'm burning throughout my workout, as my HR is going up / down...

but is there anyone else that does this?

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't have/use an HRM, but for what I read in different posting, the HRM calculates the calories burned with a particular exercise having your age, weight and height , and your heart rate into consideration.

I don't know of any formula that allows you to do that by just measuring your HR during or after exercise. I am not interested in carrying a calculator to the gym to get the number of calories burned.

The treadmil in my gym, asks for my age and weight and calculates the total calories that I burned at the end of the walk. The MFP database also gives you the calories burned with each exercise and the database has your weight, age and sex stored already. Some people said that the MFP database is too generous with calories burned. Maybe that is true, so I don't worry about not eating all my exercise calories everyday.

Someday I will get an HRT, until then I count on the information given by this website and the gym. I am only 2 lbs away from my goal.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Try Ebay. I don't have loads of cash to be dropping on an HRM either but I have found HRM watches on Ebay for like 5 bucks a piece! That is where i'll be getting mine from!
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Try Ebay. I don't have loads of cash to be dropping on an HRM either but I have found HRM watches on Ebay for like 5 bucks a piece! That is where i'll be getting mine from!