I HATE to exercise!!! How do I get motivated to do it???

Options
2»

Replies

• apwinchester2
    Options
    If you can find something you love to do that is excercise - that's ideal. So taim for that!!
    I did eventually find a set of things I like - dance once a week, run at lunch twice a week, bike or skate with my daughter on the weekend and walk every day inbetween.

BUT before I figured out what excercise I loved, I tried somthing else - which was to give myself a "treat" ONLY if I had done my recomened amount of excercise for the day. My husband and I called it "pay for it" workouts.
    For instance, when he and I were both doing poorly at doing excercise we decided we had to "pay" to even turn on the TV. So he and I needed 30 min of some workout each. It was sort of backward motivation, but it was just right to get us started. (and when he'd done 30 min and I hadn't he would be motivated to get me to do my 30 min too- and that helped get me started).
    We would also "pay" for upgraded meals, within out calorie limits of course -- things like IF I run further than last week, then any choice of meat and veggie for dinner, but otherwise only unsatled scrambled egg whites and chard. I got sick of egg whites and chard for dinner every night so I'd just go do the run. & soon I was in good enough shape that bopping out for a 30 min run was so easy I'd just do it and I just kept going to the Monday night class on the way home.
    The "pay for it" motivation wasn't sustainable in the long term, but definately got us started when we were really having trouble.

Good luck.
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posts. Find something you love to do. Or that is fun to do. Then it doesn't seem like exercise. I'm currently doing Turbo Jam and taking pole fitness classes and I LOVE them. And I don't dread them. I actually look forward to doing it.

Also, I found with me that I need to create a habit or routine. I have to work out as soon as I get home. If I sit down, I know I won't get back up..well atleast to work out. So, that has helped me.

Hope these workout for you!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you actually enjoy doing. I like good music and I love to dance, so I am doing Charlene's Turbo Jam. She's an excellent motivator and she has great music to go with the routine. And you burn a lot of calories.

Yep, yep!

That's also another thing--a good Motivator. Chalene is definitely one of those and she will push you to do more which is why she's awesome. She is so encouraging too.
  • aimeew8
    Options
    The key is finding a program you may enjoy like a form of dance aerobics like zumba? or swimming, aquatic aerobics? hiking just find something fun but the gym I kno is a bummer!!!
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    zumba may be just what you need sis!
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you actually enjoy doing. I like good music and I love to dance, so I am doing Charlene's Turbo Jam. She's an excellent motivator and she has great music to go with the routine. And you burn a lot of calories.

Yep, yep!

That's also another thing--a good Motivator. Chalene is definitely one of those and she will push you to do more which is why she's awesome. She is so encouraging too.

And so positive! She makes you feel so great about yourself. she's fun. You'd really like her stuff if you like good music and kina being cheesy