Can anyone tell me?

Options
I don't want to be a slave to the scale and I'm thinking about only weighing myself maybe once a month so I can stay motivated. I've got a LOT of weight to lose (160 lbs.) to reach my ultimate goal. Right now my daily goal without exercise calories is 1300. Do you think I'll be ok going a month between updating my goals?

Replies

• sweetandstormy
    Options
    I don't want to be a slave to the scale and I'm thinking about only weighing myself maybe once a month so I can stay motivated. I've got a LOT of weight to lose (160 lbs.) to reach my ultimate goal. Right now my daily goal without exercise calories is 1300. Do you think I'll be ok going a month between updating my goals?
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!!!! That is the best thing you can do!!! Just focus on your exercise, your nutrition and how you feel... Good luck!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm with you there! I don't ever use the scale, and I also have a lot to lose, (75).
    If you want, we could synchronize our one month weight-check! Anyone else who might want to do that, we should all choose a day and step on the scale, record it, then NOT DO IT AGAIN FOR ONE MONTH!
    I think that could be effective in freeing us from the numbers on a scale that may or may not mean progress!
    Anyone in? :happy:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    You could plan to weigh whenever you want. I have been losing weight since September and have weighed once a week usually and that has worked so far for me. I started at 270 and as of last Thursday, am down to 189.

Also, if you are comfortable with 1300 calories that is great BUT don't think you have to eat that few calories to lose weight. With the weight you are right now you could up those calories a bit. It might help make the process easier to slowly lower the calories.

I personally was eating around 1750 from about 270-210ish and was losing anywhere from 2-4 lbs a week (3 being the average). As I have gotten lower and closer to a healthier BMI, my losses have slowed but I have been adjusting my calories and on days I don't work out, I eat about 1450 and days I do work out (I tend to burn at least 700 calories, 4 days a week), I up my calories to around 1800. I have still been losing steadily for the most part (despite a couple of recent plateaus).

Anyway, do what you are comfortable with but you will be surprised at how much you can still eat and lose!

Good luck!
    Tami
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/11093-the-scale-or-lack-thereof-challenge-round-2?hl=scale&page=1#posts-80879

check out this thread for non-weighing folks. I'm sure Banks would welcome another convert (or two).

Midway through losing my weight, I didn't weigh myself for four months.

The scale sucks.:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You could plan to weigh whenever you want. I have been losing weight since September and have weighed once a week usually and that has worked so far for me. I started at 270 and as of last Thursday, am down to 189.

Also, if you are comfortable with 1300 calories that is great BUT don't think you have to eat that few calories to lose weight. With the weight you are right now you could up those calories a bit. It might help make the process easier to slowly lower the calories.

I personally was eating around 1750 from about 270-210ish and was losing anywhere from 2-4 lbs a week (3 being the average). As I have gotten lower and closer to a healthier BMI, my losses have slowed but I have been adjusting my calories and on days I don't work out, I eat about 1450 and days I do work out (I tend to burn at least 700 calories, 4 days a week), I up my calories to around 1800. I have still been losing steadily for the most part (despite a couple of recent plateaus).

Anyway, do what you are comfortable with but you will be surprised at how much you can still eat and lose!

Good luck!
    Tami

Oh, and for the record. This is absolutely true. You can step away not only from the scale, but the deprivation.
  • sweetandstormy
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input!

AmyAlyse - I'd love to synchronize with you. Maybe if I knew someone else who was staying away from the scale, it would keep me from being tempted to hop on. My first few weeks here on MFP really have taught me that it's about lifestyle change more than losing weight. It's a cause and effect thing. I'm just working on changing all the things I've been doing wrong for so long. But anyway, I was thinking about weighing myself the first Friday of the month (since last Friday was my most recent time on the scale) but if you'd like, we could switch it to the first Monday of the month since that would be today.

tamim1974 & viviakay - One of the things that has amazed me about this site is that I've learned that not only CAN I eat and lose weight, I NEED to eat to lose weight. In fact, I feel like eating is about all I do. I eat my 3 main meals, plus a morning snack, afternoon snack, and evening snack. In fact, most evenings, I'm working to come up with something that will help me come close to my 1300 for the day. If I upped my calories any more right now, I'd have to tie on a feed bag. :bigsmile: As the weight comes off and my activity level goes up, I'll be sure to up my calories accordingly. Right now, getting a real structured workout in is next to impossible. I'm a single mom of 15 1/2 month old twins and I work full time. Basically, my workout is wrestling with them for a couple hours between getting home from work and finally dropping into bed exhausted. But at least it keeps my heart rate up!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. Some people weigh themselves twice a day or more! I think that is crazy, because you would see daily and hourly fluctuations that would just drive you crazy!

Good luck! :flowerforyou: