Critique my Diary

Options
I am a 19 year old male. Currently 143.6 lbs. My goal right now is to bulk and build muscle. My trainer created a workout for me (I workout 3x a week, but also play hockey, bike, work, and go on walks):

Day 1:

Box squat: 5x5
BB bench press and/or DB bench press on mat: 5x5
Pull-ups and dips: 5x5 (i do pull-ups, then right away, do dips, so in reality, I am doing 10 sets here)

Day 2:

Conventional DL or Sumo DL: 5x5
DB shoulder press: 10x5 (so 5 sets of 10 reps)
Seated row or DB row: 10x5 (so 5 sets of 10 reps)

Abs (done every second workout):

Dead bug x20
Reverse crunches x20
Prone or side plank: 30 secs
x4

My trainer says that I may see better gains with 5x10 (5 sets of 10 reps). Does anyone know why this is? Personally, I find that when I do 5x10, I feel that I am expending more energy and sweating more. However, when I do 5x5, I feel stronger (cause im lifting heavier)?

Eating has always been a struggle with me, but since joining MFP, I have been pushing myself. I literally will have gag reflexes sometimes where I want to throw up (because I've been eating way more than my body is used to) but don't. In December (started counting calories), I was 136 lbs, now 5 months later, I am 143.6 lbs.

Anyways, I just wanted you guys to read and critique my diary, but to also tell me what you think about my current workout program.

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your diary isnt open
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    your diary isnt open

It's open now!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    looks ok, you hit your macros/calories most of the time, but from a health perspective there isnt much in the way of fruit and veg, and your sodium is VERY high on some days.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    looks ok, you hit your macros/calories most of the time, but from a health perspective there isnt much in the way of fruit and veg, and your sodium is VERY high on some days.

I totally agree. I should be eating more fruit and veggies, but I don't because they're so low in calories and protein! Their good for carbs, and that's about all.

I actually had a post about my high sodium intake:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1198691-sodium-and-sugar-overload

All in all, how does a lack of fruits and veggies, and high sodium levels affect my bulk (building muscle)?
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    Had a professional hockey player/personal trainer critique my diary today. He said that I need to be eating healthier (gave me a list of healthy foods). He also mentioned that everyone who says that "all that matters is that you hit your macros" is dumb.

For example, there are such things are sugary carbs, which essentially mean that as you eat things like white rice and processed foods, your body is just taking it and transforming it into sugar, not actual carbs that your body can use and build muscle from. Put simply, you aren't getting any nutrients.

So my goal right now, is that, since I now know I can eat enough to hit my macros (by staying up late and munching and sitting on the sofa watching netflix lol, god I hate eating), is to hit my macros by eating mostly healthy foods only.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Had an ex-nhl player and current personal trainer critique my diary today. He said that I need to be eating healthier (gave me a list of healthy foods). He also mentioned that everyone who says that "all that matters is that you hit your macros" is dumb.

For example, there are such things are sugary carbs, which essentially mean that as you eat things like white rice, your body is just taking it and transforming it into sugar, not actual carbs that your body can use and build muscle from. Put simply, you aren't getting any nutrients.

But your body builds muscle with protein, not carbs? Carbs are your bodies desired form of energy so being 'sugary' or not doesn't really matter, as far as I know.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Had a professional hockey player/personal trainer critique my diary today. He said that I need to be eating healthier (gave me a list of healthy foods). He also mentioned that everyone who says that "all that matters is that you hit your macros" is dumb.

For example, there are such things are sugary carbs, which essentially mean that as you eat things like white rice and processed foods, your body is just taking it and transforming it into sugar, not actual carbs that your body can use and build muscle from. Put simply, you aren't getting any nutrients.

So my goal right now, is that, since I now know I can eat enough to hit my macros (by staying up late and munching and sitting on the sofa watching netflix lol, god I hate eating), is to hit my macros by eating mostly healthy foods only.

:huh:
  • TheObservr
    TheObservr Posts: 2
    Options

I totally agree. I should be eating more fruit and veggies, but I don't because they're so low in calories and protein! Their good for carbs, and that's about all.

All in all, how does a lack of fruits and veggies, and high sodium levels affect my bulk (building muscle)?

Lack of fruits and vegs dont directly affect your bulking but it will reduce your immunity and when you get ill - you'll loose all your bulk. So dont compromise on fruits and vegs.

Apart from your sodium intake which is on the higher side which will probably make you feel a little bloated/full - your diet seems ok. And ofcourse dont just eat junk just because its within your macros - that should be common sense if you're trying to gain lean muscle. simple choices like cut on sugary snacks, refined carbs, fatty meats, etc. Your exercise plan however isnt that great.

It looks like you get some cardio in the form of hockey, etc. you need to expand your resistance training more. again as a general rule of thumb the 5x5 are more for strength and 10-12 reps are more for building muscle. If I were you I would pyramid it - with any exercise you do. Start of with a light weight and hit it out for 15-20 reps, slowly increase the weights reducing the rep range till you hit that 1 or 2 rep max. so you get the best of both worlds.

The crunches and plans wont really help with bulking - dont get me wrong they are good exercises to do between sets of deadlifts bench presses or something but not as an exercise by itself. Your training split isnt that great either - lacks structure and volume. if ur doing a 3 day split maybe something like chest/arms - back - shoulders/legs. move around depending on what body part is dominant. check out bodubuilding.com or some of the youtube channels for an idea of what you can do. but remember there isnt a magic programme that works for everyone, start off with something simple get to know your strengths and weaknesses and tailor your exercises to cover that.

good luck.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options

Lack of fruits and vegs dont directly affect your bulking but it will reduce your immunity and when you get ill - you'll loose all your bulk. So dont compromise on fruits and vegs.

Apart from your sodium intake which is on the higher side which will probably make you feel a little bloated/full - your diet seems ok. And ofcourse dont just eat junk just because its within your macros - that should be common sense if you're trying to gain lean muscle. simple choices like cut on sugary snacks, refined carbs, fatty meats, etc. Your exercise plan however isnt that great.

It looks like you get some cardio in the form of hockey, etc. you need to expand your resistance training more. again as a general rule of thumb the 5x5 are more for strength and 10-12 reps are more for building muscle. If I were you I would pyramid it - with any exercise you do. Start of with a light weight and hit it out for 15-20 reps, slowly increase the weights reducing the rep range till you hit that 1 or 2 rep max. so you get the best of both worlds.

The crunches and plans wont really help with bulking - dont get me wrong they are good exercises to do between sets of deadlifts bench presses or something but not as an exercise by itself. Your training split isnt that great either - lacks structure and volume. if ur doing a 3 day split maybe something like chest/arms - back - shoulders/legs. move around depending on what body part is dominant. check out bodubuilding.com or some of the youtube channels for an idea of what you can do. but remember there isnt a magic programme that works for everyone, start off with something simple get to know your strengths and weaknesses and tailor your exercises to cover that.

good luck.

Thanks for all the advice man!

Something I'm unsure about: what is resistance training?

People have told me to try out StrongLifts, which is a 5x5 workout, and good for beginners like me. People also say that strength = muscle. What do you think about this?

I tried doing this workout starting in January 2014, but as I soon was to find out, form is very hard to learn. That is what motivated me to get a personal trainer. As you said: find out what your weaknesses are. Well, together with my trainer, we found out that my glutes are weak (I don't know how to activate them), and my core is weak as well (hence the ab exercises).

Without glutes and abs, you cannot do a majority of exercises, specifically compound movements which are of vital importance. Thus, I have been doing a lot of exercises that help me with core balance and glute activation.

Overall, my trainer would agree with you. He told me that I should be doing 5 sets of 10 reps as well. But I'm curious as to why this is? If strength = muscle, what is the point of doing more than 5 reps per set?

Also, I can see how my training lacks volume, but how does it lack structure? Doesn't my workout target all parts of my body?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

sounds like he unloaded a bunch of bro science on you ..

if you are trying to build muscle you need to eat in a surplus, lift heavy, and hit macros, period. The type of food does not really matter, just that you get enough to fuel the new muscle you are trying to build...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    are you alternating day 1 and day 2 like an A/B type workout…or are you just working out twice a week?
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    are you alternating day 1 and day 2 like an A/B type workout…or are you just working out twice a week?

Alternating day 1 and day 2 like an A/B type workout.

I go to the gym 3x a week.

I want you guys to check this out and tell me what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_umwydo2OE

Also this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1178620--unhealthy-food-detrimental-to-muscle-gain
  • ndj1979
    Options
    depends on your goals..

for just weight loss = calorie deficit.

for recomp then yes you need to pay attention to macros and what you eat; however if you are bulking and trying to add muscle then you are going to need to eat calorie dense foods to get into a surplus. So you can still get 20-30% of your calories from pizza,ice cream, mcdonalds, etc…just make them fit into your macros for the day ..

As for your workout…it seems a little limited…

how long have you been weight training for?

I would recommend more of an upper/lower split..where you hit upper on monday, lower on tuesday, rest/cario/abs on wednesday, upper on thursday, and lower on Friday ..and work out in four set range with 8 -10 reps for each workout...
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Overall, my trainer would agree with you. He told me that I should be doing 5 sets of 10 reps as well. But I'm curious as to why this is? If strength = muscle, what is the point of doing more than 5 reps per set?

Increasing strength does not always mean that you are gaining muscle mass. Strength gains is most often a neuro-muscular adaptation process where the brain learns to activate the muscle to lift heavier and heavier loads (not the most scientific way of saying it). Low reps build on this for the most part, but can provide some muscle gains if the diet is there to support it. The moderate rep range of 8-12 (often called the hypertrophy range) is the most efficient range for gaining muscle mass. So when you tell your trainer you want to gain muscle mass, he aligns the rep range that will best fit your goals and tells you to do sets of 10 reps.

Here is a break down of the rep ranges:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/truth-rep-ranges-muscle-growth

If you are going to question why your trainer is having you do a certain number of reps when you want to do less, start researching to see what fitness science has to say as well. Being educated on the process will help you achieve the results you want with less frustration.

As for nutrition, there is always room for things like pizza and other calorie dense foods, but don't knock fruits and veg because they are low calorie. They provide a great source of micro nutrients that help keep your body working the way it should be. Sure you may need to eat more volume in the course of the day, but adding a handful of cherry tomatoes to a snack or including a dark green salad to a meal will help increase the nutritional value of your diet. Vitamins and minerals that are found in most plant sources are essential for good health and good health can lead to more effective training.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    Okay really useful advice everyone!

I will definitely increase my rep range for all my exercises. Should I do 3 sets of 8-12 reps? Or 5 sets of 8-12 reps?

As you can see, my workout right now is like a modified version of StrongLifts. I made a post here where people told me to try out StrongLifts:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1153872-how-to-bulk?page=2

Why do these people tell me to do StrongLifts and now you guys are telling me to not do it?

I mean you guys are telling me to increase my rep range (which I understand more now), but also to not do full body workouts (which I don't get). Doesn't this contradict everything StrongLifts related?

What's wrong with full body workouts?

And to answer your question on how long I've been weightlifting for: I've been weightlifting for a couple years now. However, I never really took it seriously until january of this year. What I mean by not taking it "seriously" is that I never really ate enough. But now that I log my foods, I am getting better at eating (still a struggle though! many late nights trying to cram all my foods in, and it's a deadly cycle that repeats itself)!

Also I never really took weightlifting seriously, because I just saw lifting as picking up a weight and lifting it. I did 10 sessions of personal training a couple years back and pretty much just winged it from there. But starting January of this year, I made myself a promise to eat more, get proper form, and stick with a workout.

And you know what? This is fricken hard! But I'm preservering, and I care, that's why I'm typing all this stuff out. That's why I've created multiple threads on this site.

And you guys are getting me worried now because I told myself I would stick with StrongLifts and learn how to do the compound exercises properly (which is a struggle guys)! But now you guys are telling me I need to modify my workout! And I feel like I keep changing and changing and can never stick with something! But I'm working hard and soon I'm going to be working with more than just one personal trainer.

I honestly just want to master compound exercises (DL, squat, bench press). And I also want to find a good workout routine that maximizes muscle gain. And I thought this routine was going to be StrongLifts, but now I'm having doubts :(
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    So I had my personal trainer read this thread. This is his email response to me:

"Okay so Powerlifting ie. strength is 5x5. Bodybuilding (size) is 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps.

The reason I suggested 5x10 (or 5 x 8-12) for YOU PERSONALLY (context is important!) is because you're still not strong enough to fully benefit from 5x5 YET

When you're comfortably squatting / deadlifting 135lb, then switch to 5x5 this is in my opinion going to lead to faster gains in form / strength / size.

5x5 is great once your form is good and you're lifting some decent weight already! Remember that you're lifting 5x10 for mainly STRENGTH (and a bit for size), so you're really trying to lift as much weight as u can lift 10 times. If you're not feeling it it's because you're not loading up the bar enough. See below.

For example, if your
    5x deadlift is 135, your
    10x deadlift is 115lb (make sure range of motion is equal!)
    15x deadlift is 99lb
    So---If you're lifting 95x10, then yeah it's going to be too damn easy! Because it's below your strength level

Regarding alternative exercises: You are doing them because Hillcrest is busy and you might want to do your workout and go home some days when you don't have a ton of time. Barbell lifts are always primary IF you have energy for it, your back feels good, and the barbell is open.

Regarding splits: do whatever you want literally. At this point you'll get gains no matter waht. The vertcal-horizontal split I suggested is a powerlifting split and I personally enjoy it especially for STRENGTH training (5x5). Or in your case 5x10 (for now).

Regarding core/*kitten* exercises. Do those at the end of your workouts if you're working out 3x a week as it will make you move better.

If you're training for size you can do an upper/lower body split where you do upper body twice a week and lowerbody+core twice a week.

If you keep making posts on an anonymous forum and leaving out context you're going to get various responses, hence your confusion.

Important context:
    1. How good is your form?
    2. How much weight are you lifting (absolute)?
    3. What % of your 1RM are you lifting?
    4. What kind of issues do you have? Back tighness, faulty movement patterns, struggling with specific lift form, etc.
    5. Are you training for size or strength? Or both?
    .... to name a few

1RM calculator
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

Regarding "Healthy Foods" from Mr. Hockey Player. Just hit your macros first. This should be obvious but people do stupid **** so I'll point it out anyway.

If you're getting your macros from:
    Sugar, refined sugar, or foods containing it:
    ---such as pop, fruit yogurt, juice, candy, cakes, crackers, biscuits, cookies, chocolate ---- etc....
    Then yeah that's NOT good

Your carbs should come from "real food" sources. Fruits and vegetables. Potato, rice, quinoa, beans/lentils.

There's nothing "wrong" with white rice and it's not going to make you fat (as long as it's within your macros). It's the actual sugars you want to watch out for. As far as your waistline is concerned not a whole lot of difference between white rice and brown rice.

But the guy was right on one point, it should be REAL FOOD. Not crackers or cakes. My personal bulking split is 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein".
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So I had my personal trainer read this thread. This is his email response to me:

"Okay so Powerlifting ie. strength is 5x5. Bodybuilding (size) is 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps.

The reason I suggested 5x10 (or 5 x 8-12) for YOU PERSONALLY (context is important!) is because you're still not strong enough to fully benefit from 5x5 YET

When you're comfortably squatting / deadlifting 135lb, then switch to 5x5 this is in my opinion going to lead to faster gains in form / strength / size.

5x5 is great once your form is good and you're lifting some decent weight already! Remember that you're lifting 5x10 for mainly STRENGTH (and a bit for size), so you're really trying to lift as much weight as u can lift 10 times. If you're not feeling it it's because you're not loading up the bar enough. See below.

For example, if your
    5x deadlift is 135, your
    15x deadlift is 99lb
    So---If you're lifting 95x10, then yeah it's going to be too damn easy! Because it's below your strength level

Regarding alternative exercises: You are doing them because Hillcrest is busy and you might want to do your workout and go home some days when you don't have a ton of time. Barbell lifts are always primary IF you have energy for it, your back feels good, and the barbell is open.

Regarding splits: do whatever you want literally. At this point you'll get gains no matter waht. The vertcal-horizontal split I suggested is a powerlifting split and I personally enjoy it especially for STRENGTH training (5x5). Or in your case 5x10 (for now).

Regarding core/*kitten* exercises. Do those at the end of your workouts if you're working out 3x a week as it will make you move better.

If you're training for size you can do an upper/lower body split where you do upper body twice a week and lowerbody+core twice a week.

If you keep making posts on an anonymous forum and leaving out context you're going to get various responses, hence your confusion.

Important context:
    4. What kind of issues do you have? Back tighness, faulty movement patterns, struggling with specific lift form, etc.
    .... to name a few

1RM calculator

Regarding "Healthy Foods" from Mr. Hockey Player. Just hit your macros first. This should be obvious but people do stupid **** so I'll point it out anyway.

---such as pop, fruit yogurt, juice, candy, cakes, crackers, biscuits, cookies, chocolate ---- etc....

Your carbs should come from "real food" sources. Fruits and vegetables. Potato, rice, quinoa, beans/lentils.

There's nothing "wrong" with white rice and it's not going to make you fat (as long as it's within your macros). It's the actual sugars you want to watch out for. As far as your waistline is concerned not a whole lot of difference between white rice and brown rice.

But the guy was right on one point, it should be REAL FOOD. Not crackers or cakes. My personal bulking split is 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein".

the only thing that sounds contradiction is that he says you are not 'strong' enough for 5x5, but then goes on to say that your program is set up to build strength? 5x5 is a great program to build strength and, most, typically start with the weight about 15% lower than what they normally lift and then add five pounds a week so by week three or four you should be 5 pounds higher than when you started….everything else sounds pretty spot on to me…not that I am an expert or anything...
  • weli21xx
    weli21xx Posts: 2
    Options
    It sounds like you have the same problem my brother had...doing lots of cardio (he was a taekwondo instructor) and not much of an eater but wanted to gain. He also ate way more than he wanted to so ended up having gag reflexes and absolutely hated it BUT he didnt give up and the change over time is amazing!! He would make about 12 chicken breasts on the slow cooker which he ate throughout the week. He would make 1 whole rice cooker bowl which he would eat throughout the day (or try). For breakfast was a whole plate of rice and shredded chicken and so on. He complimented this with veggies and fruits. His workout (gym) consisted of heavy weight muscle building exercises (since he already did a lot of cardio at work) and had protein shake - without fail - after each workout. Good luck!!!!
  • darreneatschicken
    Options

For example, if your
    5x deadlift is 135, your
    15x deadlift is 99lb

Important context:
    .... to name a few

1RM calculator

the only thing that sounds contradiction is that he says you are not 'strong' enough for 5x5, but then goes on to say that your program is set up to build strength? 5x5 is a great program to build strength and, most, typically start with the weight about 15% lower than what they normally lift and then add five pounds a week so by week three or four you should be 5 pounds higher than when you started….everything else sounds pretty spot on to me…not that I am an expert or anything...

This is my trainer's email to me after seeing your post:

"Consider that an untrained beginner can get strength gains at 50% of their 1RM. Where an advanced lifter NEEDS to do a more advanced program like 3x3 (90%1RM) or 5/3/1, as well as the appropriate assistance work such as core, midback, etc, to squeeze out any further gains.

Generally you will see an untrained beginner make strength gains at a very low % of their 1RM. I put you at 75% of your 1RM, a 10RM. It is my opinion that this is safer and will not significantly slow down your strength progression in the long run.

At this point in your training life-cycle it is more important to be at a safer weight when you can keep the proper form, which is still something that is a struggle with you. Will you make strength gains with 5x5? Absolutely, and if you prefer you can definitely do that instead, don't let me stop u.

I guess my point is that at this point you'll get stronger almost no matter what you do, just as long as you stay consistent and keep a safe lifting form".
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    Changed my dairy macros today to: 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat

My workout till July 20:

Foam rolling thorasic extension and hip flexors
    Warm-up with one of assistant exercises trainer gave me

A
    Box squat: 10 x 5
    DB shoulder press: 10 x 5
    Assisted chin ups: 10 x 5
    Assisted dips: 10 x 5