Options
brityn
brityn Posts: 443 Member
Does anyone take this before bed?

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I could see where it would help body builders, but for the normal person just losing fat, not sure it would be needed at night, even though it is a time relased protien.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    this is something done by the mr. universe types and weightlifters. What type of strength training are you doing that you feel adding this would help? the other complaint - even on bodybuilder sites - is you have to get up and go in the middle of the night...
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I disagree - you never want to cannibalize muscle and this is a great preventative.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    All the time. Casein is good for people that don't take in Whey protein well but to be very frank you can get the same affect from drinking egg whites/milk and dollar for dollar the egg whites/milk will be cheaper.

I was taking Optimum Nutrition Gold series Casein and price per scoop was .30 cents more then what a glass(8 ounces) of Great Value Egg Whites/0% Skim Milk cost you and the protein content is the same and actually less of the stuff you may not need.

Take my word for it. I take in 200-280 grams of protein a day and my BF went from 30% down to 22% since the start of my weight loss(hydrostatic test to confirm these #'s.)

I recommend keeping both slow and fast digested proteins in the blood stream at all times. Fast really after workouts and slow throughout the rest of the day.

Casein = slow digested protein(good to start the morning and pre workout)
    Whey = fast digested protein(best after a workout)
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    this is something done by the mr. universe types and weightlifters. What type of strength training are you doing that you feel adding this would help? the other complaint - even on bodybuilder sites - is you have to get up and go in the middle of the night...

Wrong on some many levels.....
  • binary_jester
    Options
    All the time. Casein is good for people that don't take in Whey protein well but to be very frank you can get the same affect from drinking egg whites and dollar for dollar the egg whites will be cheaper.

I was taking Optimum Nutrition Gold series Casein and price per scoop was .30 cents more then what a glass(8 ounces) of Great Value Egg Whites cost you and the protein content is the same and actually less of the stuff you may not need.

Take my word for it. I take in 200-280 grams of protein a day and my BF went from 30% down to 22% since the start of my weight loss(hydrostatic test to confirm these #'s.)

I recommend keeping both slow and fast digested proteins in the blood stream at all times. Fast really after workouts and slow throughout the rest of the day.
    or cottage cheese...great source of casein.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    ^^^True. I used to wake up starving in the middle of the night and eat a cup of Cottage Cheese and 1/4 cup of gods best and most potent amino acid(Pineapples)
  • binary_jester
    Options
    ^^^True. I used to wake up starving in the middle of the night and eat a cup of Cottage Cheese and 1/4 cup of gods best and most potent amino acid(Pineapples)
    The hawaiian most def approves of this post!
  • brityn
    Options
    Thanks boys. I'm trying to get those last 5-10 lbs off and am working really hard. I'm taking in a good amount of protein, but my sweet tooth at night is killing me. So, i'm goign to try a low carb casein shake before bed instead of the usual fruit, yogurt, fiber 1 cereal etc. Should kill two birds with one stone :)
  • brityn
    Options
    I'm fine going in the middle of the night. I try to drink two 8 oz glasses of water before I go to bed, cause i'm a salt junkie and it helps flush all that sodium out. My workout regimen includes 3-one hour sessions with my personal trainer. He's a football sports trainer so we do a very intense hour of circuit training that includes a lot of weights, calisthenics (spell?) and cardio (jump rope and jumping in between sets of whatever we're doing instead of resting) and I also run 15-20 miles a week. So, I need something at night and thought i'd try the casein. It's better than something sweet which is exactly what I want after dinner
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    sounds like you have a good plan. i'm on a budget, so i would opt for the cottage cheese with pineapple posted above to help you achieve the desired effect. Good luck!
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain more about the benefits of having the casein at night? I would probably go the cottage cheese/pineapple route. It would be a nice excuse for "dessert".

Thanks!
  • onebadrg
    Options
    Hello,

I take three types of protein, Fast Whey after a workout, then Midd Day Egg protein and Casein at night.

I usually only take the Casein on heavy lift days.

Joel
  • keegannati
    Options
    I usually take casein before bed. It's supposed to give your metabolism something to work on throughout the night and it keeps me from waking up really hungry. It doesn't make me have to get up in the middle of the night either. :)