BodyBugg relability

Options
I got the bodybugg a month ago. I've lost 18 pounds but in the last 3 weeks I've totally stalled. I realized that the people could have been right about not eating below 1200 calories (my bottom limit). I was striving for 900 calories and walking 4-6 miles a day. Ok, bad move. So now I'm trying to eat more calories or better in line with my workout. And I'm not dizzy anymore lmao.

So - my question is, do you feel the bodybugg is reliable on burn count. I walked about 4 miles this morning and it clocked 700 or so calories burned. WAY higher than 3.7 for 70 min listed here. That said my neighborhood is uphill both ways and it IS a hard walk. If I really did burn that much I need to eat more but I'd hate to eat it then find out I only burned 300 calories lol.

Advice?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I use a GoWearFit (same thing as a BodyBugg, different brand) and I find it to be quite reliable. When I compare what I eat to what it says I burned, it can pretty accurately predict weight loss - with a margin of error, of course.

I never eat back 100% of my exercise calories - I aim for 50-75%, and when I burn a lot, I tend to be closer to the 50% mark. Partly because it's hard to eat that much more, but also because I want to leave room for error -both overestimating exercise calories and understimating what I've eaten.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    wassa bodybugg?
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering.

I was going to aim for 50% eat back. My first goal was to try to eat the original 1200. For weeks I was running a deficit of 1600-2600 calories. Today I'm at 722 calories eaten and 702 burned I still have to eat 500 to get to 1200 so I will add 350 more to have 850 to consume.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    wassa bodybugg?

It estimates your calorie burn - you wear it all day (I wear it about 23 hours a day). It's more accurate for non-exercise calorie burn estimates than a HRM. There are 2 main brands - Bodybugg and Body Media FIT - same product made by the same company, just marketed separately.

www.bodymedia.com
    www.bodybugg.com
  • gambitsgurl
    Options
    wassa bodybugg?

It's a little dohicky thingy I strap on the back of my left arm that does some intense math stuff with my movement, temperature and who knows what else to tell me how many calories I've burned all day. I leave it on 23 hours a day and viola - it poofs out a number.

http://www.bodybugg.com/science_behind_bodybugg.php
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I been looking in to getting one of those but still on the side line thinking about it. As far as if it accurate, it claims to be 90%, so it always can be off some.

there are so many varibles that determin calories when walking. Weight, age, sex, heart rate, hills, wind, tempature out side, and of course, speed walking.

since nothing will be 100%, if I had one, I would think I would go by the numbers.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Thank you for answering.

I was going to aim for 50% eat back. My first goal was to try to eat the original 1200. For weeks I was running a deficit of 1600-2600 calories. Today I'm at 722 calories eaten and 702 burned I still have to eat 500 to get to 1200 so I will add 350 more to have 850 to consume.

Sounds like a plan. Definitely a good idea to increase what you're eating. Just a warning - don't panic if you stall for a couple weeks - your body may need time to adjust to a healther calorie input. :flowerforyou: Some people see their weight loss take off right away when they eat more (a healthy amount) but others need time to adjust.
  • thelgeson
    Options
    The arm band that measures calories burned, etc that they use on the Biggest Loser tv show.
  • gambitsgurl
    Options
    I been looking in to getting one of those but still on the side line thinking about it. As far as if it accurate, it claims to be 90%, so it always can be off some.

there are so many varibles that determin calories when walking. Weight, age, sex, heart rate, hills, wind, tempature out side, and of course, speed walking.

since nothing will be 100%, if I had one, I would think I would go by the numbers.

I've loved mine. I just wish I had listened about not eating enough.
  • gambitsgurl
    Options
    Thank you for answering.

Sounds like a plan. Definitely a good idea to increase what you're eating. Just a warning - don't panic if you stall for a couple weeks - your body may need time to adjust to a healther calorie input. :flowerforyou: Some people see their weight loss take off right away when they eat more (a healthy amount) but others need time to adjust.

Thank you. I'm just happy I haven't been watching the scale climb for the first time in years.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Bodybugg, but I use an HRM and try to eat 50% at least of the calories I burn off. I.E. 1200 is my ultimate low also, if I burn 400 calories, I will only consume 1350-1400 that day vs 1600.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Wow 700 calories for a 4 mile walk? I ran 4 miles on Saturday and only burned 447 calories.
  • gambitsgurl
    Options
    THATS why I'm like... woah. I DID do a very little elliptical first but really.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I got the bodybugg a month ago. I've lost 18 pounds but in the last 3 weeks I've totally stalled. I realized that the people could have been right about not eating below 1200 calories (my bottom limit). I was striving for 900 calories and walking 4-6 miles a day. Ok, bad move. So now I'm trying to eat more calories or better in line with my workout. And I'm not dizzy anymore lmao.

So - my question is, do you feel the bodybugg is reliable on burn count. I walked about 4 miles this morning and it clocked 700 or so calories burned. WAY higher than 3.7 for 70 min listed here. That said my neighborhood is uphill both ways and it IS a hard walk. If I really did burn that much I need to eat more but I'd hate to eat it then find out I only burned 300 calories lol.

Advice?

With regards to your question about reliability with walking...I wore my Bodybugg for a year, and also checked it against my heart rate monitor a handful of times. I generally would burn right around 125 calories every 15 minutes of fast pace walking up and down hills (I usually walk around a 4.2 pace). So, 4 miles for me would get me right around 500 calories.

That said, they do say that the BB is 90% accurate. I always kept that in mind when planning my nutrition. So, while my Bodybugg generally said I burned around 2800 calories on the day, I usually assumed it was off by 8-10%, so I would do my calculations based on about 250 less than that...so I'd drop my burn to 2550, then subtract my calorie deficit from there. Thus, I'd allow myself anywhere between 1700-2000 calories/day and I was able to lose about 1-1.5 lbs. per month.
  • gambitsgurl
    Options

Advice?

With regards to your question about reliability with walking...I wore my Bodybugg for a year, and also checked it against my heart rate monitor a handful of times. I generally would burn right around 125 calories every 15 minutes of fast pace walking up and down hills (I usually walk around a 4.2 pace). So, 4 miles for me would get me right around 500 calories.

That said, they do say that the BB is 90% accurate. I always kept that in mind when planning my nutrition. So, while my Bodybugg generally said I burned around 2800 calories on the day, I usually assumed it was off by 8-10%, so I would do my calculations based on about 250 less than that...so I'd drop my burn to 2550, then subtract my calorie deficit from there. Thus, I'd allow myself anywhere between 1700-2000 calories/day and I was able to lose about 1-1.5 lbs. per month.

A POUND PER MONTH O_O