work 80 hr/wk, need meal ideas

2»

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    [/quote]

Since some of you demand an answer. I would not work 80 hours a week if I didn't have to. I had a good paying job, got laid off, savings acoount is empty and I am still looking for a replacement job that pays good. Sending out my resume to everyone I can think of but still no job offers. I would prefer to only work 1 job but that isn't an option when I can only get something that pays below the poverty level. I am not going to default on my loans. If I don't pay the mortage I have no place to live and rent is more than my mortgage payment. Working 2 jobs is my only option at the moment. You can judge all you want but until you walk in someone's shoes you don't know what it is like. Try getting laid off and still paying all your bills when you only get paid $9/hr! I bet you will work 2 full time jobs then too.

Now back to suggestions for quick and easy meals.
    [/quote]

Sending out good work vibes. Wishing you well.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Perhaps not something you want discussed in this thread, but perhaps you may want to consider making a drastic life change? What sort of life is one where you spend 75% of your waking life working..?
    THIS. And the STRESS of working so much is partially why people put on weight in the first place.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Since some of you demand an answer. I would not work 80 hours a week if I didn't have to. I had a good paying job, got laid off, savings acoount is empty and I am still looking for a replacement job that pays good. Sending out my resume to everyone I can think of but still no job offers. I would prefer to only work 1 job but that isn't an option when I can only get something that pays below the poverty level. I am not going to default on my loans. If I don't pay the mortage I have no place to live and rent is more than my mortgage payment. Working 2 jobs is my only option at the moment. You can judge all you want but until you walk in someone's shoes you don't know what it is like. Try getting laid off and still paying all your bills when you only get paid $9/hr! I bet you will work 2 full time jobs then too.

Didn't mean to judge. It was just a "wtf?" situation. If that's the predicament you're in, I wish you all the best and hopefully you'll get out of it soon.

I unfortunately cannot give food meal ideas because I cook everything from scratch and my grocer bill is easily $40/month. I have a lot of food allergies. I cannot eat "quick and simple" foods.
  • sher80bear
    sher80bear Posts: 22 Member
    Can you leave food at the fridge for multiple days? Or will someone toss or eat it? Is there a microwave?

How about a grain type salad? Bulger, barley, quiona? Add in substantial roasted vegetables (eggplant, onions peppers), lean proteins (roasted chicken, grilled tofu, or beans). Add in a nice vinaigrette I like lemon juice, dijon and olive oil, it gets better the longer it sits. It can be eaten cold or room temp.

Sandwiches are certainly easy, but the bread can eat up a lot of calories. Try substituting a large lettuce leaf or eat only half a sandwich at a time with something else.

Small containers containing small amount of raw, roasted nuts, cottage cheese, hummus, grape tomatoes and any other cut up vegetable like jicama, carrots, cucumber, celery, can be great snacks to supplement smaller meals. I assume you get some sort of break.

I have made an egg scramble or oatmeal in bulk and carried it to work for later.

I used to roast vegetables and sometimes a whole chicken for future meals and have them on hand to add to a salad, grain or sandwich.

I don't envy your schedule. But don't succumb to fast or take out food. It certainly takes some planning and a little prep time, but learn to cook once and use for multiple meals.

As others have said cook in bulk and put 2 servings in the freezer. And one day, when you haven't planned, you grab something from the freezer.

I've also taken a few hours cooking with a friend. We knock out 4 or 5 meals in a few hours. You've got someone to share a few meals with along with the work. Win/win!!

I can't leave food in the fridge. It is a really small fridge we have at both jobs. I think they got these from college dorm rooms, they are that small. Someone suggested a cooler in my car. That may work and let me bring enough tupperware for the whole day. A grain salad sounds like a good idea and I could mix that up so it wouldn't be the same thing day after day. I am trying to not go the fast food and take out route but it isn't always easy when working this much. I know that bringing my own meals will be cheaper and healthier than picking up the phone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Perhaps not something you want discussed in this thread, but perhaps you may want to consider making a drastic life change? What sort of life is one where you spend 75% of your waking life working..?
    THIS. And the STRESS of working so much is partially why people put on weight in the first place.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Sorry that's happened to you. So you're doing what you gotta do to keep what you've got. I get that. In doing so, you sacrifice time and meal prep. I get that too.
    Food is just that, food. Getting healthier isn't just about food though. If you want more options on "nutrient dense" foods, then just include more whole foods. If you don't have prep time, then buy a roasted chicken from Safeway, or even sushi. Unfortunately, if food prep time isn't time friendly to you, you have to go with what options are afforded to you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    My schedule is no where near as packed as yours, although I am on the go a lot between working full time and school. I just wish you the best because I can't even imagine...hang in there.

Here's what works for me...I always have these items on hand:

Pulled roasted chicken (I make a bunch and then always have it in the fridge for salads)
    Hard boiled eggs
    Peanut butter and apples
    Quest bars
    Cut veggies
    Greek yogurt
    Balsamic dressing
    Spinach (for the salad with chicken)

Then, when I have time, I make a bunch of stuff that can be frozen in individual portions. Some in the crockpot, some in the regular pot. This usually includes:

Tomato sauce
    Turkey chili
    Lasagna soup
    Chicken Tikka Masala

Since the items above can be frozen in individual portions, I just grab them out of the freezer and take them to work. I don't even have to refrigerate because the time out of the fridge is the thaw time. It works great.

Please feel free to PM me if you want some recipes. I pretty much shoot for high protein in everything I make.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    I was going to suggest weekly meal prep, but it doesn't sound like you have the time. What could work, though, is spreading the meal prep out over a few weeknights so that it's more manageable to get started and to clean up. For instance, maybe one day you leave a pot of beans soaking while you're at work, then cook them when you get home. The next day, you can make some brown rice, quinoa, or whole wheat couscous and cook and/or chop some veggies. Then the third night you can cook your protein(s).

I live on my own and usually cook just for myself. What I do is either fix a few different things so that I can rotate leftovers and not eat the same thing night after night, or I make basic ingredients that I can do a lot of different things with. Grilled chicken can be reused in salads, chicken salad, quesadillas, on pizza, in sandwiches, etc. I also try to stock my freezer for weeks when I'm too busy to do meal prep. What I'm sick of one week will be a welcome change in a few weeks!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    If you do crockpot meals you could freeze a portion of it and reduce how much you're eating of the same meal, but still have it for a couple weeks from then. So you'd make a couple crock pot meals a week and freeze some and eat on the rest.

This is what I do; I have soup and pulled pork in the freezer and just finished my last container of chicken curry. All I have to do is make rice or noodles or make sure I have rolls to finish off my meal.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    What about something like a healthy pizza - it's quick and not hideous on calories if you put good choices on for toppings.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    One last thought. Do you have a thermos? Hot soup or nearly anything will stay warm for a few hours. That way you can spend some time between jobs relaxing and enjoying your meal.

Hang tough!