Very busy... Need some advice on working on a schedule

Options
JcMey3r
JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
Now I've got a question for you guys.

I never use to be this busy but I'm very busy(Finishing my software development course) and now winter is here making it even more difficult to want to leave the house...

I need help on scheduling the day so I can fit some training into my life. I'm finishing up my studies and then in November I'm planning on studying a Bcom part-time as well.

How do you busy people work your exercising into your schedules?

Replies

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm....still working on that too...

I was working out in the mornings, before work, but I had to wake up at 4:30am to get in a decent workout, cool down, shower and get ready and leave (20 minute commute, I start work at 8am). After a couple of weeks, I just wasn't able to get enough sleep. I was exhausted by 8pm and essentially worthless for a social life or any of my hobbies.

Unfortunately being busy makes it difficult to fit in workouts after work :/
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I can relate to a busy life ! I've managed to fit my workouts into the morning before work. It was rough at first getting up earlier but its worth it. My workout gets done and the rest of the day takes care of itself even when things get super busy .
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Fit it in any time you can. Anything is better then nothing. Every little bit counts. Try to include exercise in things you gotta do anyways. That's why I walk to work because I gotta come here anyways. I can drive 10 mins each way or I can walk 30 mins each way. I realize that this may not be possible for you. Get up early or stay up late to get it in. Go for a run or do body weight exercises at lunch. Take the stairs. Look into HIIT. It give good results in shorter time frames.

Things that are important to us will always find a way into our lives. Don't give up.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm....still working on that too...

I was working out in the mornings, before work, but I had to wake up at 4:30am to get in a decent workout, cool down, shower and get ready and leave (20 minute commute, I start work at 8am). After a couple of weeks, I just wasn't able to get enough sleep. I was exhausted by 8pm and essentially worthless for a social life or any of my hobbies.

Unfortunately being busy makes it difficult to fit in workouts after work :/

This is it for me! If i find that i am not able to get a long enough workout in i just eat less calories to make up for the part of the workout i didn't do. So i know you do kick boxing and stuff well instead of a hour do 30 to 45 minutes and just cut out a small snack or so.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Most people here are busy...jobs, school, kids, partners, social life, extended family and god forbid they are single parents who work or a student who has to work...

you choose priorities...

I am a mom, wife I have a full time job, we have rental properties, my husband works 12 hour shifts, I have friends, a big extended family and I have hobbies...ie gardening and since it's spring here that is gonna ramp up.

I got home at 5:20 yesterday from work, had to tidy up, make supper and work in 75min work out (it was a weight lifting day), husband got home at 7pm and was to rush off to a Y meeting...he didn't...he was tired.

I was just cooking dinner as he got home why because I did my workout...hehe.

If your exercise is important you find time, you make it work and anyone around you will understand that too...
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am starting working in 3 mini workouts a day. The studies prove this is equally as effective and with a full time job and a 3 and a 5 year old plus a sweetie who works nights sometimes it seems to be the only way. Even I can get 15 minutes in at work. If I can do it with a full time job, cooking dinner for the family and having two very active preschoolers you can too.:bigsmile:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/the-10-minute-workout-times-three/

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/548/does-exercising-in-shorter-bouts-throughout/

http://ultimatebasictraining.com/ultimate-basic-training/do-mini-workouts-get-results-lets-find-out/
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Fit it in anywhere you can! Even if it's only for a half hour something is better than nothing.

There are days when I can get an hour to an hour and a half in and days where I can barely get 10 minutes in.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If it is a priority you will find the time to do it. Me, I get up at 4:30am every day in order to ensure life doesn't get in the way. I have 3 teenagers, none of whom are old enough to drive yet, that are extremely active in sports. Throw in a hubby who's job can be unpredictable (meaning I can't rely on his help in the evenings since he could get stuck at work), my own full time job, household chores... You get the picture. I make it happen by doing it when most of the world is sleeping and can't get in my way. :)