should you cut out milk from your diet?

kaylerrz
kaylerrz Posts: 77 Member
i was just wondering if milk is beneficial to losing weight or if i should cut back on it and drink it less often? right now i drink 1-2 cups of 2% milk a day.

Replies

• TwirleySlims
    TwirleySlims Posts: 112
    Milk is good for you & I live by the saying Everything in Moderation. If you enjoy it, keep it :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    While dairy ISN'T needed in our diets, there's no ****ing way in the world I'm giving up ice cream and cheese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    Only reason to remove milk from the diet is if you can not tolerate it...
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    PERSONALLY..... I like to eat my calories, not drink them... unless it's a Starbucks Frappy :)

But, do what YOU enjoy, as long as it doesn't put you over your calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    While dairy ISN'T needed in our diets, there's no ****ing way in the world I'm giving up ice cream and cheese.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This, lol. But I only use milk for baking pretty much, as I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Do what you want, so long as you stay within your calorie needs. If you notice stomach pains/intestinal discomfort 30 mins-2 hours after consuming milk, you might be lactose intolerant. Lactose intolerance/becoming a vegan are the only reasons to stop drinking milk. I've been lactose intolerant for more than a decade and I have to say, soy milk does taste better (in my personal opinion).
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Nope nope nope. Primarily because it is a cheap source of several things I need in my diet. My ancestors evolved to tolerate milk because of lean times (or so the theory goes). When my wallet is going through lean times, milk often saves the day.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    I don't drink cow's milk...or the milk of any other animal :noway:
    I stopped drinking breast milk when my mother decided to move me on to baby food.

Each to their own though :drinker:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member

IDEA Fitness member

100% this.
  • blesseddiva77
    blesseddiva77 Posts: 32 Member
    I don't think you should cut milk completely from your diet but you may try silk soy milk and almond milk which maybe a little healthier but nothing wrong with milk.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    I don't think you should cut milk completely from your diet but you may try silk soy milk and almond milk which maybe a little healthier but nothing wrong with milk.

How is soy or almond milk healthier than cow's milk? And I asking as a person w/ a healthy disgestive system and no allergies/intolerances.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    NO
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    It's liquid calories, it has calcium, and it has a decent protein to fat ratio. If this fits with your goals then drink the milk.
  • mariaholden1
    mariaholden1 Posts: 12 Member
    I would cut out dairy milk, I personally drink soy or almond milk, or coconut on occasion. Since cutting dairy milk out a while back, I feel tons better. Soy milk has more protein, less calories, and 0 cholesterol. The majority are actually intolerant to dairy, and though a lot don't suffer on the outside, your digestive system isn't enjoying it. I've done thorough research into both. Another thing to note, is whilst dairy milk does contain a lot of calcium, the way it is requires calcium be extracted from your bones to digest it. Countries that drink dairy as opposed to soy suffer more calcium deficient conditions (such as osteoporosis). The negative comments regarding soy milk have no substance, and the research into it has not been proven. Cows milk is for baby cows, not humans. Extra plus, soy and nut milks taste nicer :)
  • kaylerrz
    kaylerrz Posts: 77 Member
    Thank you everybody :) i think i will try drinking less 2% milk but not completely take it away and use some other form of milk the rest of the time. Thanks for your help everyone!
  • i love almond milk and so does everyone in my household
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    not drinking milk will not help you lose weight. eating fewer calories than you use/burn in a day will.
  • YukiValentine
    YukiValentine Posts: 45 Member
    there's pus in cows milk. so.... yes
  • YukiValentine
    YukiValentine Posts: 45 Member
    I would cut out dairy milk, I personally drink soy or almond milk, or coconut on occasion. Since cutting dairy milk out a while back, I feel tons better. Soy milk has more protein, less calories, and 0 cholesterol. The majority are actually intolerant to dairy, and though a lot don't suffer on the outside, your digestive system isn't enjoying it. I've done thorough research into both. Another thing to note, is whilst dairy milk does contain a lot of calcium, the way it is requires calcium be extracted from your bones to digest it. Countries that drink dairy as opposed to soy suffer more calcium deficient conditions (such as osteoporosis). The negative comments regarding soy milk have no substance, and the research into it has not been proven. Cows milk is for baby cows, not humans. Extra plus, soy and nut milks taste nicer :)
    This too^
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    Not unless you are a vegan or lactose intolerant