Is underweight really an issue?

Options
Hi I'm recovering from anorexia. I am underweight but not by as much anymore. I'm 107 (used to be 98) and 5'6. I feel healthy and eat a normal amount of food now. Is it really necessary to gain to 115 (lowest healthy weight for my height) I have a lot of muscle and a fat percent of 16%.
What are the benefits of being 115 compared to 107?
Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm recovering from anorexia. I am underweight but not by as much anymore. I'm 107 (used to be 98) and 5'6. I feel healthy and eat a normal amount of food now. Is it really necessary to gain to 115 (lowest healthy weight for my height) I have a lot of muscle and a fat percent of 16%.
    Thanks

have you asked your doctor?
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    First, great work on your recovery! I'm also 5'6" and I'd look like death warmed over at 107 pounds, but other folks look fantastic, so it's all about how you carry your weight, I guess. Gaining to 115 will have some good benefits and you could likely get there easily if you worked with some heavier weights and a protein increase (there are other folks here who have much more knowledge than I regarding the ins and outs of this process) while gaining definition and strength.

Having a few more pounds also helps to handle the normal fluctuations our bodies go through without dipping too dangerously low.

Benefits to lifting weights and gaining a bit of weight include healthy monthly cycles, increase in bone density, healthy muscle development, and increased cardiovascular health.

I would encourage you to go ahead and work on a gain with some weightlifting and see how you feel in a couple of months. Many women feel much stronger and healthier after incorporating a strength building regimen that includes several pounds and has the added benefit of definition and toning.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    have you asked your doctor?

This.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley- yes there are benefits. Muscle weighs more than fat too so you might find if you are quite athletic your ideal weight won't be on the lowest healthy weight on the BMI chart- there are a lot of athletes- especially bodybuilders-whose BMI is overweight- but the reverse is rarely true.

When you say you eat a normal amount you should be eating at least maintenence on days where you are sedentary, and also eating a little bit extra to cover any exercise that you do.

The benefits of being a healthy BMI include a lowered risk of heart problems (including sudden death), better immune system, lowered risk of dental problems and osteoporosis later in life(many anorexics have early onset osteoporosis), less risk of breaking bones, lowered risk of alopecia and other issues caused by malnutrition. You'll also have a lot more energy and a better ability to concentrate, and better memory.

Speak to your dietitian about a meal plan and weight targets.Check out some of Kati Morton's videos on youtube for advice about recovery too. Well done for being on the road to recovery and I wish you all the best xx
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    questions_to_ask_your_doctor-2.gif
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Keep increasing your calories. I would hit up the gym. You could find lifting really enjoyable. It would be a healthy way to gain weight & focus your energy on that instead of the ED. Hope you find something that works for you.
  • VeganEquestrian
    VeganEquestrian Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am vey active. I ride/train/sell horses as part of my job.
    The problem is that when I do that I often burn 1000 cals in a day. So I've been eating like 3000 cals a day and only gaining very slowly. But when I eat 3000 cals I feel like I'm binging and I hate it! Also I feel like I've gotten quite big, which I know isn't true, but compared to 98 it feels true...
    Also I am vegan (something I'm not willing to give up) so it's hard to find enough cals in food to get my required amount....
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Congratulations on your recovery, Ashley!

As others have said, ask your doctor.

I've been underweight before, but not from eating disorders. I really don't feel as good when I'm underweight. So, hit 115 and see how you feel. I have a lot more energy and stamina when I'm not underweight, and my mood tends to be a LOT more stable.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    The problem is that when I do that I often burn 1000 cals in a day. So I've been eating like 3000 cals a day and only gaining very slowly. But when I eat 3000 cals I feel like I'm binging and I hate it! Also I feel like I've gotten quite big, which I know isn't true, but compared to 98 it feels true...
    Also I am vegan (something I'm not willing to give up) so it's hard to find enough cals in food to get my required amount....

You are still in recovery. Are you seeing a therapist? I say that only because you mentioned binging and feeling like you've gotten quite big...

Definitely ask your doctor.

You should eat more calorie dense foods. Nuts, avocado, cook your foods in olive oil, peanut butter. Protein shakes. All of those things can add calories.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

Understandable. I'm a runner, I burn 1000+ a day sometimes. Eating 3000 calories is not binging if you are as active as we are! I've never been underweight, but I think what you are doing is fine. Slow weight gain is good. Don't feel guilty for eating! You are doing great. I know it feels weird weighing more than you are "used to", but that's all part of the process, just keep staying strong :)
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If your doctor isn't concerned, then do what makes you happy. It's your body, not anybody elses. I hate it when people tell me I need to gain weight!!

Congrats on the recovery. :)
  • ChelseyDAdams
    Options
    The answer everyone LOVES to hear - "It depends!" ;)

I agree with those that say to ask a doctor, none of us are qualified to tell you by seeing a picture and getting basic stats - even with more I wouldn't be qualified! But, I'll try to give what basic info I would feel comfortable saying...

Congratulations on getting past an eating disorder, that is a huge achievement. I would say to continue on the path you are on, it is obviously working for you. Gaining weight slowly is healthy for overcoming what you have. I would worry that if you tried to force yourself to gain quickly, that you could panic and go back to not eating properly. Focus on eating healthy foods, maintaining the active lifestyle you have and working on having a healthy relationship with food - viewing it as fuel and sustenance for your body, not as the enemy. I feel that as you continue on that path, your body will find a healthy, positive weight.

Also, if you are having a regular period again (since most don't when anorexic) that is a great sign that your body is getting back to a healthy stage. If you have not gotten your period back, then continue that slow weight gain until you do. That is a huge indicator for the female body that things are working properly. (Even though sometimes it is nice not to have to bother with aunt flo!!)

Keep at it! :)
  • VeganEquestrian
    Options
    K I'll try to keep going. I think part of the problem is I have a lot of clothes that I bought when I was very underweight and they are tighter on me know and that makes me feel huge.
    Shopping spree? :tongue:
  • VeganEquestrian
    Options
    I recently got my period for the first time in over 6 months! Which is partly why I think I'm healthy now. But I've been spotting on and off ever since. Why is that? Because I didn't get it for so long?
    P.S. I don't really like going to the doctor. They are annoying...
  • ChelseyDAdams
    Options
    Might just be your body adjusting. I would say to give it about 6 months since it first started coming again and see if it normalizes at that point. Every person and every body is different. Give it some time to settle, normalize and to "clean things out" first before you worry about it. You just got your period back, so continue slowly gaining in a healthy way like you're doing and your body will recover and normalize itself.

If in about 6 months your period has not become more regular I would go to a gyno just to have them check things out and give you the all clear. :)
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    K I'll try to keep going. I think part of the problem is I have a lot of clothes that I bought when I was very underweight and they are tighter on me know and that makes me feel huge.
    Shopping spree? :tongue:
    Throw them out or, better still, drop them into a charity store. It doesn't help having them because it's all too tempting to try them on... and that just leads to guilt.
    I recently got my period for the first time in over 6 months! Which is partly why I think I'm healthy now. But I've been spotting on and off ever since. Why is that? Because I didn't get it for so long?
    P.S. I don't really like going to the doctor. They are annoying...
    You really need to be getting them consistently for a few months before you can be sure they're back for good. Again, something you need to speak with your doctor about. And yes, doctors are annoying because they tell us ED sufferers things we don't want to hear ;)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Bone density. Hormonal balance. Fertility. Immunity. Being underweight affects all of those things. Strive to put on a bit more weight. If you strive to increase lean body mass, this will improve bone density which is important now and in the future. You could be more prone to bone fractures and dealing with horses you could have a higher probability of injury that requires longer healing time.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bone density. Hormonal balance. Fertility. Immunity. Being underweight affects all of those things. Strive to put on a bit more weight. If you strive to increase lean body mass, this will improve bone density which is important now and in the future. You could be more prone to bone fractures and dealing with horses you could have a higher probability of injury that requires longer healing time.

Oh my, yes, this!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It depends. Like others have said, I'd ask these questions to your doctor and dietitian. They can help you better along the way.

And it all depends on the person too. I have a friend who is your height and she is very muscular and weighs 130 lbs. She is still very slender. However, she said that she never wants to get below 120 lbs because she says she looks like death at anything under 120 lbs.

We all also have different frame sizes as well. There could be two people of the same height.... they have different frame sizes and different body fat%. So one weight, even on a person of your same gender, age and height, could be right for them and not right for you.

However, I think it is best to strive to be within your healthy weight range. Some people are fine when they are slightly underweight, while others look dangerously thin. My BMI is 18.7 and I feel fine. But I have been anorexic myself ( I weighed in my 80s, but I am 2.5 inches shorter than you ) and I think I looked very sick when I am under 100 lbs. I'm not going to drop any more weight +- 1-2 lbs.

I would see how you feel at 110 or 115 lbs and go from there. But good job on your recovery. It is a very hard road and I wish you the best of luck.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It honestly sounds like you are still working through issues. You should DEFINITELY talk to your Doctor. If you're having trouble meeting your caloric needs maybe your activity level is too high..........perhaps another issue to work through. Do you work out in addition to your job which already burns tons of calories? Again....talk to your Doctor about this. The short answer - yes, being underweight is NOT HEALTHY.

Disclaimer - yes I know some people are born thin and stay thin, that's different. This girl is a recovering anorexic.