UGH!!!!!!!! So frustrated.

Options
I am becoming so frustrated, almost to the point where I do NOT want to do this ANYMORE!

Why does weight fluctuate so much?!? I was just 263 and in a day or two I'm up to 267. I see the changes in my body, but I don't understand the constant fluctuations. It's making me feel like I'm doing something wrong and it's super discouraging to see.

It makes me not want to do this anymore. Feeling hopeless.

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you know you're doing whatever you've been doing to lose weight exactly the same as before, a few pounds up isn't something to lose heart over.

You might be one of those people who should track measurements and only weigh in once a week and perhaps one week a month avoid the scale entirely. So many things can affect water weight. Salty foods, more carbs than usual, exercise, more exercise than usual, monthlies, and I'm sure lots of other stuff I've never even heard of.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't be more helpful, but you just have to understand that your weight fluctuates. It always will. If you can't handle seeing the flux, stop weighing so often. Pick one day each week or every few weeks to weigh and record it. I know that I became a LOT more comfortable with my weight fluctuations as time went on and I could chart my progress and see that my weight was trending downward.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is hard....staying overweight/obese is hard...choose your hard.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This.

Also your body can fluctuate 3-5 lbs a day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If you're a person that "lives and dies" by what the scale tells you, then you shouldn't weigh everyday since fluctuations are normal. Weight loss isn't linear. Your BEST gauge of success is your clothing and your mirror.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • forswearitssight
    forswearitssight Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're a person that "lives and dies" by what the scale tells you, then you shouldn't weigh everyday since fluctuations are normal. Weight loss isn't linear. Your BEST gauge of success is your clothing and your mirror.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Agree 100%. I weigh myself once a week, but try not to focus so much on what the scale itself says. If my clothes feel looser then I know I'm doing something right.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    ..... I know that I became a LOT more comfortable with my weight fluctuations as time went on and I could chart my progress and see that my weight was trending downward.

THIS was also quite true for me. For the first 45-50 lbs I only weighed once a week. Once I go more comfortable actually stepping on a scale, I started weighing myself every day just to trend the data. It's really an awesome place to get to when the number on teh scale doesn't dictate your mood and motivation. Now it's just a number. If you are seeing results in other ways, keep going! But then again, only you know if you're truly ready to do this for real or not. It won't be the scale that stops you, it will be yourself.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This!
    And this!

/thread
  • HJO1403
    HJO1403 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Agree 100%. I weigh myself once a week, but try not to focus so much on what the scale itself says. If my clothes feel looser then I know I'm doing something right.

Hit the nail on the head.

I gauge my losses/gains by taking photos on the first day of every month for comparisons
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, first thing in the morning, naked after I pee. I record my daily weight in a weight tracking app on my iPod. I do this because I like to see how my eating and activity of the previous day(s) effect my weight, sometimes up, sometimes down. But what this teaches me is that the day to day (hour to hour??) fluctuations don't matter. It is the continuing downward trend line that is important.

So now I don't get all freaky because that high sodium day caused a 3lb weight because I know that in a day or two, my weight will self-regulate and all will be good again.
  • RitaPotter67
    Options
    Losing weight is frustrating. Someone told me once that the weight didn't appear over night. It took awhile. It will take awhile to lose it as well. That was my inspiration to keep trying. My first step was talking to my doctor to see if any medication could be causing my weight gain or preventing me from losing it. My next step was changing the way I ate. Drank lots of water and diet root beer (no caffeine). No fried foods. It had to be baked, broiled, or grilled. I cut out red meat. Eat chicken maybe once or twice a month. I primarily eat seafood. Whole wheat bagels or sandwich bread. No more chips or crackers. Switched to fruits and vegetables. Reading food labels helped. Of course grocery shopping took longer but it was for a good purpose. The main thing I looked at was calories, serving size, and total fat. I wouldn't buy anything that was over 300 calories or over 6g of total fat. I eat three small meals a day plus two low calorie snacks such as a fruit cup or light yogurt. Portion sizes are a fist is a cup and a palm is 3oz. Doing all of this and staying positive helped me lose 17 pounds in three months. Good luck.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    WeightChartDeltaExplained.jpg

This graph might give you some comfort. Check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/ for some interesting reading.

Weigh goes up and down, maybe weigh yourself once a week. It might save your sanity.

ETA: The graph is NOT MINE. It's scooby's
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You are better off using a tape measure to assess your progress. The scale is only one indicator of size, and it's not even that good an indicator. It doesn't measure muscle, for instance.

When you weigh yourself, it matters what your're wearing, when you've last gone to the bathroom, and even how much water you drink. It could show you 7 lbs heavier for no good reason !!!
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What app are yiou using?

OP, I weigh ervery day, and was frustrated because my scale jumped 5 pounds over what I weighed last Tuesday. But we just have to keep at ir, its balanced by the days where I weigh less than I think I should, Hang in there!
    I weigh myself every day, first thing in the morning, naked after I pee. I record my daily weight in a weight tracking app on my iPod. I do this because I like to see how my eating and activity of the previous day(s) effect my weight, sometimes up, sometimes down. But what this teaches me is that the day to day (hour to hour??) fluctuations don't matter. It is the continuing downward trend line that is important.

So now I don't get all freaky because that high sodium day caused a 3lb weight because I know that in a day or two, my weight will self-regulate and all will be good again.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

I do this too. I like to see if I can figure out why my weight does certain things, since it helps me understand my body better. I even put together a chart showing my weight the day after I go to the cafeteria at work (high sodium food) - goes up EVERY time.

I also agree with the measurements. I've started doing them every 2 weeks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just remember that it takes 3500 calories over your TDEE to gain a pound of fat. As long as you're logging accurately, measuring your food, and not overestimating exercise, you know that you're not eating over your TDEE... and that as such you can't gain fat.

Just keep that in mind every time you get frustrated by the scale... it's water weight. It will go away.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week and I'm going through the same thing. It's really discouraging to see the scale go up. Even though I know there's no way in hell I gained fat.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates everyday which is why I rarely weigh myself anymore.

I go by the way my clothes fit. Screw the scale.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates everyday which is why I rarely weigh myself anymore.

I go by the way my clothes fit. Screw the scale.
    yep just go by clothes