I feel like i lost my motivation

I started dieting in january i weighed 246 then. Now i am 202.8 but i was just 199.8 on sunday i did eat differently than what i usually eat when i am dieting over the weekend but i just am so depressed i finally got under 200 and here i am back up here struggling to get under again i feel so depressed and this just threw my motivation out the window. Anyone else have an experience like this and if so what was the outcome because right now i am scared i am going to just keep gaining.

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Hi, body weight fluctuates like that all the time. Here's an example from me this week. Sunday morning I was 171.6. Monday morning I was 174. This morning I was 172. It is most likely water from what you ate on Sunday. Get back to what you do normally, and it'll go back down.

Oh by the way, congratulations on your amazing weight loss so far! You are doing awesome.

If you are having trouble staying motivated and are looking for support, I help to run support groups through Facebook. We have lots of people in there that are improving themselves and helping everyone else to stay accountable. We teach about proper nutrition and how to exercise. I'd be happy to chat with you about it if that is something that you're looking for.

Allan
  • Thanks a lot i keep telling myself it will go back down but hitting that 199 was everything and seeing the 2's again feels like i gained 100pds but i am very interested i need the support.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Keep going!!!!! Imagine how good it will feel to see 189, etc.

Weight fluctuates. I know the feeling. Just keep at it!
  • Thanks i am definitely not giving up i just wish i had the same exact motivation from january. It is going so much slower now.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Sometimes it helps if you try to recall what was it that motivated you in the first place. The numbers are arbitrary. If they are playing mind games with you 199 vs 200, convert to the metric system. :0)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I try not to rely too much on motivation and am making things habits that stick instead. Now that you are closer to your healthy weight things slow down but your habits need to stick. I also try not to live by the scale. You can do this. Also remember "There is NO finish line." This is the advise that got me off the yo-yo diet gain wagon.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    I really believe that in times like this it is a good idea to just plan to maintain your weight for a while or until you get out of your funk. It's good practice, you're not mad at yourself every week for not losing, and it will make you feel more in control. Just my opinion and worth a try :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks everyone i like the quote there is no finish line which is very true i am changing forever not for a few months i just hate to see the scale with the wrong numbers but i am planning to stay away from the scale and stick to this diet and hopefully in 2 weeks step on it and see what it says maybe ill be happier than everyday stepping on it
  • I really believe that in times like this it is a good idea to just plan to maintain your weight for a while or until you get out of your funk. It's good practice, you're not mad at yourself every week for not losing, and it will make you feel more in control. Just my opinion and worth a try :flowerforyou:
    ]

Thanks this will be part of my plan soon
  • I try not to rely too much on motivation and am making things habits that stick instead. Now that you are closer to your healthy weight things slow down but your habits need to stick. I also try not to live by the scale. You can do this. Also remember "There is NO finish line." This is the advise that got me off the yo-yo diet gain wagon.

Yes it has slowed down sucks but i knew it would soon but thanks love the quote
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Focus on the NSV's and measurements, rather than the number on the scale
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    You average <=2300mg of sodium (good) on most days but ate 4,000mg+ (not-so-good) on Tuesday. The most likely cause of your weight increase is temporary water retention due to excess sodium intake. I would not get super-stressed about this! You will almost certainly be peeing this away. :)

If you can't find good reasons to lose, perhaps a brief spell maintaining is in order. You've made some amazing progress! You're before and after photos are good incentive to at least maintain.
  • laqu997
    laqu997 Posts: 4 Member
    seriously ... i started dieting at the end of february and i have not lost one bloody pound ... NOT ONE, okay 1 sort of on a good day ...

i am doing a ton of walking, (and fast break a sweat stuff) and watching what i eat and all... so BE PROUD .. you are doing great!
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Try not to look at it as, "How much do I have to lose?" "When will I lose it all by?"

Take one day at a time. This is life. This is your life. Eating healthfully, calorie counting, working out. This is what you do, every day. It is what it is. Ya know? Treat every day as NOW. Don't look at yesterday or tomorrow. Ugh, hard to explain this. I sound like an idiot. I know it's easier said than done. But you really do have to change your thought patterns.

Try not to obsess. Don't weigh yourself every day. You'll see, "Weight loss isn't linear," written all over these forums. It's true. Fluctuations occur. All the time. Weigh yourself every two weeks. If you're doing the right thing on a daily basis, you'll see results. If you MUST weigh every day, then there's this app I've heard people talking about. It's called, something to the effect of, "Weight Trends." You put your weight in every day, but over time, you can see how your weight fluctuates, and in which direction the general trend is going. Up, down, or the same?

Patience is key. Don't set yourself up for disappointment by saying, "I want to lose X amount of weight in X weeks." Just be happy with any loss at all.

And, like all others have said/will say, re-check your BMR/TDEE and measure and track every single thing that goes into your mouth.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    please go find and read the "what is your WHY thread." i think it will help you.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Try something new to help motivate you. Is there a contest or a be/buddy up you can do with someone? I think you are doing great. Focus on your success.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    please go find and read the "what is your WHY thread." i think it will help you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1261159-what-is-your-why?hl=What+is+your+why