Coffee or no coffee? Diet Coke or no diet coke?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Does drinking coffee (with 3 tablespoons of sugar-free creamer) affect weight loss? :drinker:
    How about other caffeinated beverages - like diet soda and tea?

I seem to do better when I give up coffee for a day or two. Is that because I am taking better care of myself generally - getting enough sleep, exercising, drinking more water? Or could it really have something to do with the caffeine itself?

Thoughts and anecdotes of your experiences are welcome. Advice from nutrition savvy folks, too.

Drinking coffee has its health benefits, and it also has its share of health problems, such as anxiety, increased blood pressure, and depleted calcium and iron levels (specifically in women). Tea is good if there is no sugar in it. I recommend Agave Nectar because it's naturally sweetened, and healthier than honey. Diet soda is not good for you because it contains so much sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and other stuff you don't need in your body.

Diet soda contains sugar?? Really?? And you wonder why people question your nutritional advice

I also drink lots of coffee (about 2 pots daily) have very low blood pressure, calcium levels just fine and only anxious if talking to people that annoy me I develop a twitch.. but that's another story.

Sugar is not bad for you everything in moderation. OP drink your coffee log the sugar and creamer you add to the coffee because those calories can add up.

2 pots a day - wow, I thought I was knocking it back - fair play!!

jrsflr1.gif
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    You can just google "why aspartame is bad for you" and you get aaaall the info you need.
    Oh good gracious! You can google "why ZZZ is bad for you" where ZZZ = ANYTHING and you'll find something on the internet. What a silly, silly statement that is. Apples can be bad for you; Meat can be bad for you; Sex can be bad for you; Flying can be bad for you; Giraffes can be bad for you (that last was a joke).

Oh, but they are. Have you SEEN how long their necks are?!?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i have a couple of coffees a day (no soda for me, cant drink the stuff)

i think youll agree based on my ticker that its not stopping me losing weight
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You can just google "why aspartame is bad for you" and you get aaaall the info you need.
    Oh good gracious! You can google "why ZZZ is bad for you" where ZZZ = ANYTHING and you'll find something on the internet. What a silly, silly statement that is. Apples can be bad for you; Meat can be bad for you; Sex can be bad for you; Flying can be bad for you; Giraffes can be bad for you (that last was a joke).

Oh, but they are. Have you SEEN how long their necks are?!?
    Valid point, love. I stand corrected. :tongue:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    I drink several cups of unsweetened coffee per day - with low fat milk.
    3 or 4 glasses of diet coke or Pepsi Max per week.

Has not hindered my weight loss at all.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Coffee and diet soda are fine. Remember to log whatever calories come with your caffeinated beverages. Heck, you can even count them toward your (relatively arbitrary) 8-glass-of-water goal.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've never been a soda drinker, so I can't really give my input on that. But I've noticed if I don't drink my coffee (comes out to about 30 calories) I try to eat more to get energy in the morning (about 300 calories). If I drink my coffee I get my energy and don't need to eat as early, or as much. :)

But! I can quit coffee fairly easily, and after about a week I guess my body goes back to "normal" (?) and then it doesn't matter either way.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Really? People live without coffee? Nonsense... :noway:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Really? People live without coffee? Nonsense... :noway:

1233087193.gif?id=513
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    IUYoaTT.jpg
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    IUYoaTT.jpg

I'm the one second from the left. :smile:
  • 24inchesplease
    Options

Ok so live in denial... not even gonna argue.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    ^^ So you've come back 2 weeks later to add that to an old thread? :laugh:
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I personally try to stay away from as many chemicals as possible. Anyone that feels Asparatame is okay to consume is crazy IMHO. With cancers on the rise I prefer to ingest as few chemicals as possible.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If the creamer and sugar fit your calorie goal without pushing you over, it will not affect weight loss. Diet soda has zero to negligible calories so it won't affect weight loss.

Drink what you enjoy.
  • brower47
    Options

I personally try to stay away from as many chemicals as possible. Anyone that feels Asparatame is okay to consume is crazy IMHO. With cancers on the rise I prefer to ingest as few chemicals as possible.

I find the idea of thinking a chemical that hasn't been linked to cancer in any way in humans is causing cancer in humans to be the far more disordered mental state.

rational thought concerning the highly tested metabolism one chemical =/= crazy

believing something without any rational basis might = crazy
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

dotbananacrop-blog480.jpg
    Which part of the chemical chain in aspartame has you particularly concerned? I ask because it's found 'in nature' in many foods already
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Which part of the chemical chain in aspartame has you particularly concerned? I ask because it's found 'in nature' in many foods already

Asparic Acid is found in nature, but Aspartame is still a man made compound. i would just prefer to stay away from those becasue they provide no added value.
  • brower47
    Options

Asparic Acid is found in nature, but Aspartame is still a man made compound. i would just prefer to stay away from those becasue they provide no added value.

They provide the added value of sweetness to drinks that would otherwise requires a large number of calories to sweeten using sugar, thus allowing people who enjoy soda to continue drinking soda without spending any of their calorie goal on them and thus aiding them in their weight loss.

That's definite added value for a lot of people.
  • pawstech09
    pawstech09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of coffee every morning, but I use 1 tablespoon of sugar free creamer and a small amount of liquid stevia. It is an acquired taste but I love it now. I do not drink any pop of any kind, just water or if we go out to eat I'll get raspberry iced tea as a treat. The only thing I accomplish on no coffee days is a nap.