weight loss gimicks

Options
what are some crazy weight loss tips you have heard and what have you found that actually works??
im always hearing stuff like pop this pill and eat whatever you want and loose weight instanly....ummm sure
or the when they say they found a new fruit that helps with body fat...blah blah blah
my mom and dad both lost quite a bit of wieght on weight watchers but it just wasn't for me .just wondering what everyone out there has heard and what actually works.

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    1. Calorie deficit
    2. Heavy lifting
    3. Patience

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^this link and those found within were key to my success.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    1. Calorie deficit
    2. Heavy lifting
    3. Patience

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^this link and those found within were key to my success.

This! It is not what you eat, but HOW much you eat. Maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight. Have a ton of patience (my 1# problem).
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works: Calorie deficit.

ALL weight loss gimmicks revolve around it. The problem is, either they are so drastic they are not sustainable, or, you rely on the "magic" and never learn how to eat properly so once you stop, the weight comes back. It's not necessary to spend money on these things because there isn't anything magical about them.
  • blromig
    blromig Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't believe in pills for any sort of weight loss, with every pill popped there IS a side effect!!! Eating clean, and healthy and to include your regular foods that you normally eat because that's how you live and eventually will go back to those foods, but the (PORTION) and how often is what will keep me on track for the long term. While trying to lose yes, I eat more lean, stay within my calories and excercise, and excercise is a must and will be a part of my everyday routine. Trying to go with all the gimmicks is not for me, because I WILL not continue like that for the rest of my life, and I know that. So that being said, I'll spend my money on healthy foods that will be with me, the rest of my life not for short term. Don't get me wrong for medical reasons people may need to do this, but for someone able and healthy, It's healthy choices :-)
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you would call it a gimmick, but my fitbit has helped me a lot to make sure I keep moving. I never thought an expensive pedometer would help, but it does! Now if I just keep to a calorie deficit, I would be good :-)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i have heard several people say chop an arm or leg off for quick weight loss and that seems to be pretty effective method of bringing those scale numbers down
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    i have heard several people say chop an arm or leg off for quick weight loss and that seems to be pretty effective method of bringing those scale numbers down

Excessive bleeding a pretty terrible side effect, though, especially if you just cleaned the house!

The pill that causes misbehaving dieters to need to change their drawers is pretty extreme. The feeding tube diet is even more extreme. The surgery that lets you stomach pump your extra food into your toilet is probably the wildest one I've heard of.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has been messaging me on Facebook every so often asking me to try this weight loss coffee that she is selling. I'll just stick with my Folgers Black Silk.