Side Stitch (help)

Options
reederx5
reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
Seems that I have a permanent side stitch. Always happens on right side and this time has kind of wrapped around to my back area too. Any tips to alleviate this problem?

I have heard more hydration and better breathing helps.

Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Might be a long shot, but it could be gallstones. The symptoms are similar to what you described.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wow - if it's NOT gall stones, one thing (aside from hydration and good macros-meeting) that works for me is to slow down. If I am running faster than my body is ready for, I'll get stitches. When I run at a slightly slower pace, they don't make an appearance.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have never posted here before but I have this issue too and it is such a pain. (literally, ha!)

Does it happen to you when you jog/run/walk fast? If it hurts like that more often you may need to see a dr to get it checked out. For me, stretching my abdominal area and back before I run helps tremendously...I also noticed it has been better since I've been trying to strengthen my ab muscles too. The stretching I do before hand is I lay on the floor on my back with my hands stretched out. My knees up (like you are going to do crunches) and I move my knees together side to side...keeping my back flat on the floor...so that it kind of twists my abdomen. I also do planks and bicycle crunches. I also don't push myself too hard when I'm first starting out.

I'm sure hydration helps but if I drink a bunch of water before hand it makes it worse. I've also read that certain breathing techniques help but the stretching and abdominal work is the only thing that really helps me out.

Good luck!! :-)