Food cravings-what works for you?

Options
Hi, I struggle with junk food cravings!
When I have a craving it's so strong and I often give in!
This is why I'm back here. To take control. I've resisted today, but was just wondering what do you all do to resist?
The foods I'm talking about are the usual- crisps, chocolate etc. the usual fatty filled sugary crap!
Thank x

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Ok honestly you need to learn how to cook tasty healthy food. That's step one. Step two is to go completely cold turkey from junk food and sugary crap for 2/3 weeks and only eat your own food that you prepare from basic ingredients. Pretty much anyone can grill meat and boil veg. Or cook a stir fry. Or cook a pan dish in the oven. The reason you crave food all the time is because you are actually malnourished. Not that you don't have enough calories. But you probably have vitamin and macro-nutrient deficiencies. So your body keeps clamoring for food from the only source it's learned to take in. You need to get your body to realize that there is better food out there. And that means showing some willpower for a while and weaning it off the junk food.

Trust me after a few weeks you won't even be tempted anymore.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb when I can afford it.

I don't bring the junk-food in the house.

I don't start off the day with anything even remotely sweet or carby, because I will be craving for the rest of the day if I do. This often means I don't have my first meal until evening. Currently doing intermittent fasting, which means some days I eat nothing at all or very little.

If someone stresses me out, I stress him or her out back rather than feeding my feelings (I learned this one a long time ago, it makes life ever so much more pleasant).
  • enriant
    enriant Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've found two things REALLY helpful.

The first, for those everyday-cravings that just happen, is 'detox water'? Or something, I don't know why it's called that. You can find recipes here: http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2014/04/13/3-detox-water-recipes-belly-slimming-anti-bloating-craving-control/
    The one I found most useful is the 'Craving Control and Beautiful Skin.' I think a combination of the fructose, the slightly thicker water, and the cinnamon really helps with that 3pm-to-9pm sugar craving.

The other thing is, whenever possible, try splitting things with people. I have huuuuuge weaknesses for donuts and for nachos, but whenever I want some, I try to ask whoever I'm hanging out with (boyfriend, sister, co-worker) if they want to split. That way you can give in to the craving, but you force yourself to control your portions.
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I try to find substitutes (ex: fiber one 90 calorie brownies, almond milk, puffed chips,etc), but this still takes discipline. One a day is okay but a person I knew was eating like 5-8 brownies....not the most healthy thing to do. Also if possible (and this only applies if you have family/ roommates) try to put your healthy snacks in a different cabinet than everyone else. If they are not eating healthy and you want a snack it doesn't help to have to move bags of chips, candy, or cookies to get to a protein bar. Learning how to cook/ bake healthy is an absolute must, and there are tons of information and websites that will help in that regard. Also if you must eat a particular food, then use it as a reward. " If I go extra hard on my cardio then I'll have a....(fill in the blank). Again this shouldn't be the norm, but from time to time its okay. The only other thing I can think of at the moment is to say if you have a "must have" food, buy the smallest portion and not the muti serving bags/boxes. Hope some of these help.
  • sino19
    sino19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The reason you crave food all the time is because you are actually malnourished. Not that you don't have enough calories. But you probably have vitamin and macro-nutrient deficiencies. So your body keeps clamoring for food from the only source it's learned to take in.

nop, I personally disagree. I eat 3 meals a day, but sometimes right after lunch/dinner I will have a strong biscuit craving, eat carrot because I think my body needs something sweet and crunchy...NOPE
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth, and recently I discovered that flavoured teas help curb the cravings. David's Tea has lots of dessert flavours, and I love the Salted Caramel, Creme Brulee & Red Velvet flavours. I don't know if David's Tea is available where you are, but I'm sure there is a specialty tea place around you that will have something similar.

ETA: If I eat regularly, the cravings don't get too bad. But if I go too long in between meals and get too hungry, that's when I make poor choices.
  • em_b2002
    em_b2002 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your replies.
    I probably am malnourished as my diet has been poor since...forever! Never have I eaten well.
    I'm surprised I don't weigh more than I do.

My cravings last from lunch time until early evening.
    I definately do make rubbish choices when I leave it too long between meals!
    I think the main thing I need to do mind over matter!
    Thanks again!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have crappy foods that I crave sometimes. What works for me is to have healthy food MOST of the time, but to make room in my diet for those 'crappy cravings'. If I had to quit them all, I'd likely fail at meeting my goal. Right now, I eat the foods I want, but make them fit into my daily calorie and macro goals. For me, it's easier than not eating them at all. If I couldn't have them, I'd eventually binge on them - so I allow myself those foods, just in moderation.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hi, I struggle with junk food cravings!
    When I have a craving it's so strong and I often give in!
    This is why I'm back here. To take control. I've resisted today, but was just wondering what do you all do to resist?
    The foods I'm talking about are the usual- crisps, chocolate etc. the usual fatty filled sugary crap!
    Thank x

Honestly cravings is never something I had to deal with. I assume the experience is different for everything and its not that I am necessarily doing something "right". If I do crave something though I usually go out and get it, eat it then log it. That is my typical response to cravings.

I understand though that if someone had cravings that were out of control to the point that they were breaking their calorie goals every day that they would have to reign them in a bit. But if you are inside your calories no reason not to have some chocolate imo.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I remember years ago going through this. I was addicted to sugary treats. Had to have them daily.

For me, I had to quit cold turkey. Once I ate better, I eventually got rid of the strong cravings. Probably took 3 weeks to get to that point. And, I just kept away from sugar for many years after that.

Now, after eating a better diet, I can enjoy a sugary treat once in a while. But, it's by choice. And, I measure it all to make sure I'm only taking a little bit to taste, not another meal's worth.

Good luck!
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Your cravings are possibly partly due to malnutrition but almost assuredly due to spiking and crashing blood glucose levels. You could be heading toward diabetes. Worldwide, 50% of diabetics are undiagnosed. If you cut out the sugars and carbs for 2 weeks, you can gain control again. Feel free during your cold turkey phase to eat real fat, bacon, butter, whole foods not containing sugar and carbs. Eat lots of veggies but even avoid the fruits, just for 2 weeks. You will be amazed how the cravings disappear.
    Ruth J Princess
  • em_b2002
    Options
    Diabetes is what worries me the most! I'm highly sugar sensitive!
    If love to cut out the sugars, I just struggle knowing exactly what to cut out. A lot of info sites have contradicting info!
    Thanks
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Do you make your own food, use packaged / processed foods to cook with or eat out most of the time?

I've found that when I crave something a 3oz serving of lean protein helps. On the other hand if the craving lasts for 2 or 3 weeks I'll have a normal serving size protion of it and move on.

I've also found that making my own food from scratch has helped to curb my cravings. I try not to eat things that will spike my blood sugar like processed carbs.

I've also noticed that my cravings were much more intense and happen more often a year ago than now. I think it takes some time for your body/mind to change.

Good luck.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Having a reasonable calorie goal helps. (i.e. more than 1200)
  • em_b2002
    Options
    I do mainly cook my own foods.
    I don't like ready meals, or takeaway.
    And rarely eat out anywhere.
    My main problem is snack foods.
    Then it ruins my lunch!
    And once I eat something that's processed, I end up craving crap for the rest of the day
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Water is what works for me. When I'm drinking enough water my cravings usually go away.
  • nycoleyrides
    nycoleyrides Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just went to my neighbors house to get a food scale to weigh some almonds. Then he had OREO'S and some other soft baked cookies! I caved. I had two oreos and half of two cookies (so one) I am supposed to be on day two of a detox. Oh well. That's my one slip! I hope. It's just not easy when it's in your face.
  • em_b2002
    Options
    I just went to my neighbors house to get a food scale to weigh some almonds. Then he had OREO'S and some other soft baked cookies! I caved. I had two oreos and half of two cookies (so one) I am supposed to be on day two of a detox. Oh well. That's my one slip! I hope. It's just not easy when it's in your face.

Oh sorry you caved! No it isn't easy, especially when it's there lookin at you!
    Carry on with your detox!
  • Gramps251
    Options
    And once I eat something that's processed, I end up craving crap for the rest of the day

Yes, me too. There is a clue for you to work with. I think it's silly to completly cut out anything you really like but you may have to keep your distance from them most of the time.
  • Gramps251
    Options

An occasional hand full of cookies that takes you over your calorie limit isn't going to effect you much. I think it's the everyday stuff that is counter productive.

Enjoy them and move on and if you think a two day "detox" is what you'd like to do, just pick another two days. (I'm not convinced about detoxing unless you've been poisened but I'm just a bozo on the web)