Kettle bell swing and back pain

Options
I've started the kettle bell swing perfect pair challenge yesterday (which consists in 20 kettle bell swings followed by 10 push ups, then 20 kettle bell swings and 9 push ups, and so on until you have 0 push ups to do). At the end, you should have made 200 swings and 55 push ups, and it's quite nice for a quick work out.

It's not the first time I perform that kind of strenght training with quick series, but I wanted to do it right, so I used a 20 pounds kettle bell and to prevent injuries, I watched a couple of tutorials on how to do the swing and I asked my fiancé to check it out while performing my first serie. He said that the form was nice and I didn't look as if I overcompensate with my back, but this morning, I have a mean back pain. It really doesn't feel like muscle stiffness and more like a bad inflammation. Booh. :(

Normally, I should perform the entire set tonight to continue my challenge, but I'm worried about the back pain. My friend who workout a lot says that it's normal to have a little pain and it will decrease after the beginning of the workout, but I feel that it's more true about stiffness then inflammation. Fiancé said that I walk like the midget in Games of Thrones and that I should take a rest day anyway.

What is you advice about this?

Replies

• missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You should be using your arms as a fulcrum and pushing from your glutes while keeping your back straight If the swings are done properly there should be no back pain.

Are you stretching after? Do you do a warm up?

Perhaps your pulled a muscle?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell has a pretty steep learning curve. 20 pounds is pretty heavy for a newbie. You might start with a light dumbbell (I know it's not exactly the same)....but K-Bells are expensive. You might try a 8-10 pound DB &really work on form.

Sarah Lurie, Paul Katami, & Michael Skogg....good form
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You should be using your arms as a fulcrum and pushing from your glutes while keeping your back straight If the swings are done properly there should be no back pain.

I've stretched about an hour after the work out, as recommended in the program. Didn't do a proper warm up that time (my bad) because I was coming home from work and just walked a mile.

I tought I was doing the swing the proper way, but I was probably wrong. I will try to focus on the glute next time (as well as thighting my abs).

And, do you think that I must try to make the challenge tonight or I must wait until the pain decrease?
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    Kettlebell has a pretty steep learning curve. 20 pounds is pretty heavy for a newbie. You might start with a light dumbbell (I know it's not exactly the same)....but K-Bells are expensive. You might try a 8-10 pound DB &really work on form.

Sarah Lurie, Paul Katami, & Michael Skogg....good form

That's the only kettle bell we have at home, but as it was to be hold by two hands and I usually do biceps curls and things like that with a 15 pounds dumbell, I thought it would ok to use it.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i will disagree with people who say 20lbs is too heavy - any lighter and you will be lifting the bell not swinging it - if the swings caused you back pain you are not doing them correctly - there are plenty of videos out there of people doing piss poor kettle bell form - Jillian Micheals springs to mind -

My advice - find a certified kettle bell instructor in your area and get a few training sessions
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    The swing has to come from your hips, NOT from your arms (if you are holding the KB with both hands). You have to clench your butt cheeks and pop from the hip, I can't really explain it better. It's weird since your arms are swinging but it's more like a pendulum thing, sort of. And don't forget to bend your knees slightly on the down swing but don't drop too low.

I love kettle bell swings and snatches.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I found I REALLY have to focus on keeping my abs tight and my back straight. Also pushing through the legs always. You shouldn't be using your arms for anything but holding the KB.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Good one. I was trying to think of something appropriate but fulcrum is good!
  • VirginiaLee58
    Options
    GREAT RESPONSE! Get a trained pro.
  • SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Until you get use to the kettlebell start with a light weight if you can not get a 10 to 12 pound kettlebell and do the same form of motion and go from there. I go to a NYC kettlebell kickboxing class and they show you how to perform the routine even with a dumbbell. She even has dvd's out that you can try if you like called KB body series or KB scorcher series. I hope this helps
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    I'm not sure I can afford a trainer now, but with the tips you're giving me now, I kind of think that I was not pushing the right way with my legs. I'll try to do it slowly to learn the good way to do it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Back pain definitely means you are using your arms too much and lifting the weight rather than allowing it to float up from the momentum created with your hips/glutes.

A good way to gauge your form is to loop a towel through the handle of the kettlebell, and swing it holding the ends of the towel. If the kettlebell hangs from the end of the towel (i.e. perpendicular to the floor), you're using your arms too much. If the kettlebell stays inline with the towel (i.e. parallel to the floor), you're doing it properly.

Another good cue is to keep your upper arms pinned to your ribs until your hips are locked out. That's the point when your arms should float upward.

This tutorial should be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-LvhjWh1vA

ETA: 20 lbs is definitely not too heavy for a beginner.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I've started the kettle bell swing perfect pair challenge yesterday (which consists in 20 kettle bell swings followed by 10 push ups, then 20 kettle bell swings and 9 push ups, and so on until you have 0 push ups to do). At the end, you should have made 200 swings and 55 push ups, and it's quite nice for a quick work out.

It's not the first time I perform that kind of strenght training with quick series, but I wanted to do it right, so I used a 20 pounds kettle bell and to prevent injuries, I watched a couple of tutorials on how to do the swing and I asked my fiancé to check it out while performing my first serie. He said that the form was nice and I didn't look as if I overcompensate with my back, but this morning, I have a mean back pain. It really doesn't feel like muscle stiffness and more like a bad inflammation. Booh. :(

Normally, I should perform the entire set tonight to continue my challenge, but I'm worried about the back pain. My friend who workout a lot says that it's normal to have a little pain and it will decrease after the beginning of the workout, but I feel that it's more true about stiffness then inflammation. Fiancé said that I walk like the midget in Games of Thrones and that I should take a rest day anyway.

I will suggest that you rest today or you may aggravate whatever problem you have. Take a couple of Advil for the inflammation, if you can, and ice the area. Acute injuries should be dealt appropriately or they will become chronic problems. I hope that you feel better soon.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i will disagree with people who say 20lbs is too heavy - any lighter and you will be lifting the bell not swinging it - if the swings caused you back pain you are not doing them correctly - there are plenty of videos out there of people doing piss poor kettle bell form - Jillian Micheals springs to mind -

My advice - find a certified kettle bell instructor in your area and get a few training sessions

I second all of this! I have been using kettle bells for 6 months, and my back has never hurt after doing a swing complex.
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A light bell is a bad idea because it trains you to use your arms (and your back) instead of relying on your legs - Check our livefitrevolution.org which is a free kettlebell resource led by a RKC trainer with a 12 week workout from or pick up a copy of The Swing from Amazon which goes through in painful detail how to swing.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

I would say that you were not properly warmed up. I had the same problem last week, took me a week before the pain actually went away. I would not continue, instead I would some stretches or go for a walk.

I completed the same kettle bell challenge with a 15 & 20 lb bell, it is definitely worth it, once proper care is taken.
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    Thank you for all those advices.

I definitely took a rest day (well, I walked and I will make some active stretching during the hockey game) because the pain was groing a little excruciating, but I will definitely continue the challenge after this, and with all the ressources I've got from you.

I'm going to check lifefitrevolution and The Swing as well.
  • laurabower3
    Options
    I had the same problem with my first round of kettle bell training...I am 100% sure it was bad form on my part. I go again on Wednesday, hopefully I can get my form right because I LOVE the workout!
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    I ate at a friend's house on Friday, she is a certified trainer (she teaches spinning, Zumba, body pump and even some cross fit) and I asked her to check my swing. She said that my form was HORRIBLE and she teaches me the good way to do it (going down much lower in squat before swinging the kettle, keeping my back much higher while performing the exercise), and I was able to perform the swing correctly a couple of time this week end.

She said that I may want to practice the swing form before trying to start the challenge again, because you have to do an exercise correctly twice as much time you've done it badly before it sticks to you. So that's what I'm doing now.

Thanks for support :)
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor had cautioned me to start with a 4 lb kettlebell and to not swing higher than my shoulders for at least 4-6 weeks when I mentioned that I was going to try working out with one. For ME, he also said to not go over 10 lbs.