What is your go-to NON microwavable meal?

Options
2»

Replies

• shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Mine is a finger food lunch. Sliced chicken breast, cucumbers, snap peas, grape tomatoes, black olives and bolthouse ranch dressing.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Or how about taking cous cous in a flask and pouring on boiling water a few minutes before you want to eat it and stirring in something salady for a warm lunch?
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Wraps, salad + bread, cold pasta salads
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    There's a lot! I like greek yogurt yogurt parfaits, chick pea salads ( can chickpeas, diced onion, garlic, tomato, salt and pepper, a little red wine vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice) Veggie bacon, lettuce and tomato with avocado or hummus instead of mayo. Pita stuffed with Tuna that is mixed with kalamata, tomato, onion and a little feta. The options are endless!
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Cold pasta salads!
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Fruit, veggies, avocados
    egg/tuna/chicken salad.

I don't do bread so no sandwiches. Salads are good sometimes. Why no microwave?
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I generally have to eat at work standing up, so my lunches are either something quick to eat or something I can nibble on a little at a time--things like salads would never work, too hard to eat quickly. I can't handle sandwiches either, unbearably tired of them. I can handle rolled up deli lunchmeat though, so I'll take ham or turkey for the protein. Also there's hard-boiled eggs, greek yogurt, bananas, apple slices (I like mine with cinnamon sprinkled on them), baby carrots, or if I have the time to make it, a chicken breast sliced up with curry powder on it, so I can grab a strip here and there as I work. That's about it for the variety in my lunches, I could use some new ideas too I guess.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When you say salad, do you mean green salads? Because I pack all kinds of grain and bean-based "salads" - simply called that because they're served cold/room temp rather than hot.

One of my favorites is couscous (cooked in vegetable broth or you could use one of the flavored Near East ones), tofu, mandarin oranges, pecans, feta and scallion. If you're not a vegetarian, substitute chicken for the tofu - my bf uses either leftover rotisserie or those deli packages of salad-style grilled chicken you get in the same area where they sell bacon (I'm sorry, I suck at the names of these things because I don't buy the meat in our house).
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Egg sandwich is my go-to meal. Have one almost every day around 11am. 2 pieces of bread, 3 scrambled eggs, and a piece of cheese. Just under 500 calories and enough to hold meover until dinner. If I'm feeling extra hungry or did more cardio than usual that day I will have some greek yogurt with it
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Avacado, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts, 1/3 fat cream cheese on pita. Yum ola!
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and protein cereal (love Fiber One protein). Add frozen fruit to this in the morning and it's thawed by lunch!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats!
    The options are endless~
    Here's some inspiration http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/overnight-oat-recipes-oatmeal-cold
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Lettuce leaves smeared with mayo, a layer of fresh Boar's Head deli meat (usually the Cajun Turkey Breast), then a layer of fresh sliced deli cheese (sharp cheddar or provolone), a little bit of brown mustard and a couple of pickles.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sandwiches
    Peanut butter with apples
    bananas and peanut butter sandwiches
    Fruit salad
    Egg salad
    Chicken Waldorf salad
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    One or all of the below :
    Tabhouli or wild rice salad
    grilled skinless chicken breasts marinated in vinaigrette and fresh tarragon
    Greek salad or Caprece salad
    oven-roasted potatoes with olive oil, herbs, seasalt
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    THANK you all so much!!! I got a lot of great suggestions. Some of the stuff some of you mention I haven't even heard of but I will look into it. because it made my mouth water.

I am not a huge fan of the taste/smell that lingers behind after one uses a microwave....it either tastes too rubbery if food is warmed in a plastic container and if it's warmed up on paper plates then it has a funky wet paper smell. I have not been using one since mid-January. At home if I warm up something I usually eat warm it up in the oven or stovetop.

Again, THANK YOU so much!