more excersize/ less calorie intake = no wieght loss?

Options
I am a little confused that a month ago I was eating 1700is calories and was consistently loosing only doing very little (20 min workout).
Now I have readjusted my calorie intake and upped my workouts to more strenuous workouts in that same 20-30 minutes but have stopped losing.

Should I go back to the 1700ish calories I was consuming?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start the new exercise routine? How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale?

it's not uncommon for weight loss to stall for a couple of weeks when you start a new exercise routine. Our bodies flood sore muscles with extra fluid to help cushion and repair them, which can mask any weight loss that's happening for a short period of time.

You need to give any new routine a few weeks before deciding whether or not it's working.
  • sdps720
    sdps720 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    the last loss I saw was April 25th. I started to introduce 5 1 minute runs in the middle of the walking on the treadmill. Also increased the speed at which I walk. Speed went from 2.5 to 3.7 slowly
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    April 25th was less than 2 weeks ago. Give it time.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    From April 25 til now is not even 2 weeks. Stress, monthly menstrual cycle (if you're a female!), sodium, and other things can cause temporary water weight gain. Sodium can have a HUGE impact. And when you start a new routine, your body retains extra water as your body adjusts to the new routine. There is a long scientific explanation but I don't recall the details.

Make sure you're eating enough. You said you decreased calories, just don't decrease too sharply. Other than that, keep at it and check your weight again in 2-4 weeks.
  • sdps720
    sdps720 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ok so maybe I am just being impatient. I guess I just got so used to seeing those numbers drop