Is losing too fast always bad?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I have always been on a healthy weight, most of my adult life on the lower side of normal, but never underweight. Because of pregnancies my weight has fluctuated a bit, always settling back to somewhere between 53-57 kilos. The last year or so I guess I have been eating more than usual (or rather worse) and also had almost stopped exercising and ended up close to 67 kilos, gaining 8-9 kilos in a little over year, which while not technically overweight, it was too much for me to feel good. Got back to seriously exercising since last autumn and since February, I have been tracking calories and I am back to 58. This means I have been losing on average half a kilo per week the last months, which is faster than I expected or planned to. Since I have also increased my exercise the last several months, I have no loose skin etc issues, I look better than I did for a while and definitely am stronger too. Under the circumstances, does losing faster than planned matter? I have in the past gained or lost small amounts of weight, but never so much so fast with the exception of post pregnancies, and I kind of feel like I am doing something wrong. Maybe a couple of older relatives nagging me for "looking too thin" is also making me worry when I normally wouldn't have. Since I am not starving, am not underweight and feel good, does it matter?

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You're seriously asking if a pound of weight loss a week is "too fast" and if you're doing something wrong?

No.

End of thread.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well in order to lose weight fast that means a big deficet..(barring medical conditions) and with a big deficet you are not getting in the protien needed to help repair the muscles from exercise and because you are in a big deficet your body will use what it has to for energy...

Long story short if you lose too fast you are losing fat and muscle which is not a good thing

but 1lb a week isn't too fast really...the suggestion is 1/2lb a week but you have no worries.

edited for spelling
  • lillymellow
    Options
    Definitely not. I to 2 lbs is the healthy goal. This is common knowledge. I recommend reading on healthy weight lose so you have a better understanding. Knowledge is power. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1 lb is fine.. I would recommend dropping some carbs and increasing protein to help with muscle retention. Also, if you aren't weight training, you should do that too, as it also helps muscle retention. And more muscle = leaner body
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Usually 0.5 to 1% of your body weight per week is what you should aim for.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Too lazy right now to read the entire thing (sorry), but
    Is losing too fast always bad?

It isn't necessarily bad but it is regarded that way because it generally isn't sustainable and leads to the person eventually reverting back to their old ways and gaining it all back. I'm sure there are folks out there who've lost 30 lbs in a month and have kept it off but they are the exceptions not the rule.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    When I was on the high school wrestling team I would some times lose 10-15lbs in a week. I lost 35 in 2 and a half months one year. Not saying its the best idea, but i'll tell ya one thing, I was in the best shape of my life.