I'm getting thin and still have a fat belly

Options
I noticed I'm getting thin and lean everywhere except my stomach. Its still jiggly and fat! Its about 3 inches out and is fat! I've been lifting 2-3 days a week concentrating on coumpound movements. Squats 70 deadlift 90 ohp 30 and have been eating a deficit except on days I lift wcich I eat at maintenance. Will this ever get flat?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I noticed I'm getting thin and lean everywhere except my stomach. Its still jiggly and fat! Its about 3 inches out and is fat! I've been lifting 2-3 days a week concentrating on coumpound movements. Squats 70 deadlift 90 ohp 30 and have been eating a deficit except on days I lift wcich I eat at maintenance. Will this ever get flat?

With time and consistency in your approach yes. Don't see how it couldn't.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Well as you know..there is no spot reduction..the only way a fat belly goes away is when the whole body reaches a low enough body fat percentage for that to happen..my advice is patience, realizing that it is often a slow process and keep doing what you are doing! :)
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing and be patient. It won't happen overnight. I know it's frustrating, but you just have to stick with it.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Patience! You'll get there. Stomach is the last place I lose fat from, it seems to be a common issue for most people. Keep it up!
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes every body loses weight differently. Stick with it and eventually you will lose it
  • christinelast
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just get scared seeing ribs show and the fat on the belly still there
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For the vast majority, the belly area is primary fat stores...generally it is the first on and last off.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You can see my ribs but I have a hip pooch. Every body is different!
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, honestly, try to not worry about it so much. If you're getting lean everywhere else - celebrate it! Rock those shorts, show off your nice legs and be proud of what you have. Some body types may never have a really flat tummy if they want to stay in a healthy weight range. I am at a BMI of 22 and I have a bigger belly than most overweight woman.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have you had any children? I am having the same problem. I have a hangy belly, TMI, it has DEF gone down, but I am wondering if it is from it being streched - Does anyone have any info on this?? its more like a droopy belly....my upper is flat but then it hangs like a shelf. Sorry being so graphic, I can tell it is Not loose skin. Like I said I think it is going away being it was huge before.. Any thoughts or idea I can do to get rid of it????
  • WhoMe93
    WhoMe93 Posts: 33
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this! I have the same problem! I have lost over 30 inches all over my body, but my belly is the last to go and is shrinking more slowly than anywhere else. It is so frustrating!
  • christinelast
    Options
    Have you had any children? I am having the same problem. I have a hangy belly, TMI, it has DEF gone down, but I am wondering if it is from it being streched - Does anyone have any info on this?? its more like a droopy belly....my upper is flat but then it hangs like a shelf. Sorry being so graphic, I can tell it is Not loose skin. Like I said I think it is going away being it was huge before.. Any thoughts or idea I can do to get rid of it????

Yes, I have one boy who is now 5
  • christinelast
    Options

My belly hangs too. I'm getting so thin and my belly looks so strange. Its shaped like a u if that makes any sense
  • christinelast
    Options
    Patience! You'll get there. Stomach is the last place I lose fat from, it seems to be a common issue for most people. Keep it up!

Did you find you got really thin before losing it?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Did you find you got really thin before losing it?

This is primarily genetics. I have visible ribs (more so than I like) and yes, they were more prominent prior to losing a good amount of stomach fat. I'm planning to bulk, both for increased muscle and strength but also in hopes that I can achieve a good leanness without my ribs poking out so much by being at a heavier weight. Just something I have to live with until then.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    It's been a couple of months since you joined. Takes time so patience is a must.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Something that's been helping me lose pounds has been the "Baboosh" by Brooke Burke. It's a wide neoprene belt you wear during cardio that makes you sweat more (like crazy). I've lost inches around my waist and upper hips. After 22 years of fighting my middle (core, lower back, upper hips), this has helped significantly.

But I absolutely agree with the rest of the posts on this thread. Best of luck to you!!!:smile:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", been maintaining around 130 pounds since October, and still have belly fat. I don't like it, but I don't hate it enough to try to lose more weight. I've lost another pant size since starting maintenance so I guess I've been secretly hoping that I'll continue to maintain my weight and my belly will just disappear. Not going to hold my breath though...