Need to stop BOOZING and start LOSING!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• dmaxma
    dmaxma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem -- feel free to add me.
  • 4Pick
    4Pick Posts: 25
    Options
    Wine...Oh how I love wine! It is hard for me to not drink it. I stopped buying the HUGE bottles and only buy a small one for the weekend and when its gone, its gone...that is until next weekend!

Best plan ever. If I hate my diet, why the hell would I do it? Health and Fitness are so we can have more fun, I'm not kidding myself. Wine is fun. Moderation is good.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I never liked the taste of alcohol but I used to be addicted to soda. Terrible habit, full of empty calories and it just makes you keep gaining more and more weight. A lot of people forget to count the calories they drink, when people think about weight loss they usually think of food.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Ok so I signed back up after two years because I need to start holding myself accountable and step away from the WINE! And the BEER! And the Margaritas! And all the wonderful booze that is doing me abosolutely no good! I'm carb aholic and I need friends on here on the regular that will remind me to push towards being a better me (and to step away from the Carbs!) Promise I will help ya back!

Join AA
  • KittyFab111
    Options
    Well - I'm actually a member of a 12-step group for boozers - I JUST CAN'T HANDLE MY LIQUOR! :drinker:
    So - I have been sober almost 3 years....I lost 3O POUNDS when I first got sober, but sadly lost my home in a file July 7 last year, so instead of saying poor me, poor me, poor me, pour me a drink - I started associating far too much with two gents who are not good for me - BEN AND JERRY! LOL
    I can't drink my problems away and can't be an emotional eater as well. Thus - here I am with you fine people! :flowerforyou:
  • kevindflynn
    kevindflynn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key. If you can't moderate, eliminate. The big problem I've seen most folks have with wine/booze is portion control. A serving of wine is 5 oz, but wine glasses can be huge and it's easy to over serve. Measure it out first and keep an idea of what it's supposed to look like. 125 calories in a glass of wine makes it fine for a meal, and remember that there are additional health benefits in red wine that go beyond simple calories. A serving of whiskey is 1 oz. Combined with a diet mixer can give you a 65-75 calorie drink. A 12oz serving of Guiness Stout is 125 cal, light beer's around 110. Just don't get the BIG glass!!

The drawback to saying "I will never eat/drink <insert thing here> again!" is disappointing oneself later on. The self hate can be self destructive. Try the "I'll save that for <insert activity/occasion here>." It's worked much better for me.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    oh you have my vices. I am sorry. For the love of Alcohol, Moe's Chips, cheese, and alcohol. I love the taste and they love my belly.

You can do this!!!!! or at least a lot less of that!

Feel free to send a friend request, and I've blown past 40..... I'm 48 and two small kids make the above even more desired at times LOL

WELCOME
  • macklo
    macklo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my pinot grigio :( it is why I have gained so much weight I am sure.. I used to drink Vodka, Sprite zero and fresh lemon which has less calories,, but now I love love my wine LOL
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you're welcome to add me. I've only drank 5 times this year..with no future plans on doing it. used to drink every day from when I was 14-22.
  • 4Pick
    4Pick Posts: 25
    Options
    Ok so I signed back up after two years because I need to start holding myself accountable and step away from the WINE! And the BEER! And the Margaritas! And all the wonderful booze that is doing me abosolutely no good! I'm carb aholic and I need friends on here on the regular that will remind me to push towards being a better me (and to step away from the Carbs!) Promise I will help ya back!

Join AA

constructive, supportive, and displaying a keen wit! or a-hole? yeah, the second one.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to check out the MFP group "you booze, you snooze"
    We chat a lot about our drinking and desire to reduce it.

And AA is a good suggestion - you don't have to be an alcoholic to pick up some wise lessons from people who have beaten the devil.
  • trish07tx
    trish07tx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Switch to dry wine...it's a start! I went from Pino Grigio to Petite Sirah and now I'm only drinking a glass/night when I do drink. Before with white wine, it was like half bottle per night, yikez!

Definitly a good plan. When I drink a Malbec.. a glass lasts me an hour. When I drink sweet wine a bottle doesn't even last an hour!
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have knocked out the booze during the week, and leave myself mostly wine in the house for the weekends (vs margaritas or calorie dense craft beers). I am not a hard liquor fan in general, so if we go out I get wine (usually red) or craft beers and try to cut it at 2!
  • trish07tx
    trish07tx Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Join AA

constructive, supportive, and displaying a keen wit! or a-hole? yeah, the second one.

Yeah.. maybe he was trying to be helpful... but it didn't come off so much that way. I don't think I need AA (though another poster did suggest it can be helpful even it you're not an alcohohic!) I just need to have folks in my life that encourage me to be heathlier which is what the post was about and which most of the posters have encouraged (and I thank you!). I am well aware that anything I put out here could be taken the wrong way and in turn some people are going to chastise me but I'm all about being honest and seeking out folks to help lift me up and whom I can help to support! And helpful tips on lower calorie options were great too. I'm going to do this folks! I am going to lose this weight! Horray for all of us that are on here trying!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Any diet that requires you to eliminate _____ from your diet is un-realistic and doomed to failure. Like most posters here, moderation is key and smarter choices can allow you to still have a drink while still being a healthy individual while enjoying a drink.