Weight loss. Smaller vs Larger

Options
After googling for an hour I couldn't find an answer/similar experience and i'm finding it hard to word my question..

Does the exact same weight loss look more dramatic the smaller you get.

Example:
Start off at 100kg, lose 10kg (No one notices). Get to 90kg, lose 10kg more (People notice)
So, basically if you lose another 10kg and get to 70kg, will the weight loss look like you've lost more than the previous 10kgs

I hope ya'll can understand my question, I don't mean "do you look different when you lose weight" but more like "does the same amount of weight loss look like more to people the smaller you get"

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    It does for me. Five pounds was nothing when I was fat and wearing clothes with elastic. Now it's the difference between looking good in a pair of jeans and looking like a hideous roll of fat stuffed into a small space.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    After googling for an hour I couldn't find an answer/similar experience and i'm finding it hard to word my question..

Example:
    Start off at 100kg, lose 10kg (No one notices). Get to 90kg, lose 10kg more (People notice)
    So, basically if you lose another 10kg and get to 70kg, will the weight loss look like you've lost more than the previous 10kgs

I hope ya'll can understand my question, I don't mean "do you look different when you lose weight" but more like "does the same amount of weight loss look like more to people the smaller you get"

Most definately. If the weight you are losing is fat you can think of it in terms of changes in bodyfat composition. For a man going from 28% bodyfat to 23% bodyfat will make very little real aesthetic changes to their appearance but dropping the same amount of physical weight starting at 15% bodyfat to drop to 10% bodyfat would make a huge aesthetic difference. Same is true of women just the bodyfat percentages would be different because women have about 8% more bodyfat than mean with the same aesthetic look (ie a 18% bodyfat woman can look about as athletic as a 10% bodyfat man)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Example:

Pretty simple question.
    Yes, the smaller you get, 10 lbs will look different, and usually more noticeable, on the smaller you get.

Thing is.....it can be harder to lose 10 lbs the smaller and smaller one gets.

If a 250 lb person loses 10 pounds it doesnt look it, but if a 130 lb person does it many times does look it.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The best I've heard it explained is like a roll of toilet paper. If you take 10 squares off a new roll of toilet paper, it doesn't get much smaller. If there's not much left on the roll, though, and you take off 10 squares, it's a rather noticeable difference.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Another way to think about it is in terms of percent total bodyweight.

If you are 300 pounds and you lose 30 pounds you lost 10% of your original bodyweight. If you make the same change later at 150 pounds 10% of your bodyweight is 15 pounds.