How to burn fat more efficiently

Options
I try to mix up my workouts, but I know that I'm not being very efficient. Currently this is my schedule:

Sunday---Rest day, but try to get in 10,000 steps (Fitbit)
Monday---Run Intervals: Mile 1---run at 5.2mph
All time after: Sprint at 6.8mph for one minute and alternate with Walking @ 4.3mph. I do this til I hit 45min,
then I cool down for 5 minutes.
Tuesday---H.I.T. Express class for 40 minutes. Then leisurely walk on the treadmill
Wednesday---Run a 5k at an even 5mph
Thursday---Zumba (1hr)
Friday--Rest Day (do get my 10k steps in)
Saturday---Zumba (1hr)

Every day I also walk during lunch breaks for 30 minutes. (I try to get in 10k steps every day at minimum)

I have a Kettle ball and do some exercises intermittently with that.

I have read about the "Fatburning Zone" and the "Cardio Zone". I believe my MHR is 182. I typically run at 145, and sprint anywhere between 150-160. While I want a healthy heart, what I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want is to burn this excess fat. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    A regiment of weight training will help increase muscle, which increases basal metabolism. So you are more efficient overall. Worth a 20 minute routine a few times a week.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    what I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want is to burn this excess fat. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Are you saying you're not losing fat (clothes aren't fitting looser, etc)? If so, you might be underestimating your calorie intake (common). Or maybe you just haven't given it enough time for results to show?

I agree about adding strength training by the way.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I have read about the "Fatburning Zone" and the "Cardio Zone". I believe my MHR is 182. I typically run at 145, and sprint anywhere between 150-160. While I want a healthy heart, what I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want is to burn this excess fat. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Check the date on those topics as they are debunked myths. You don't burn fat, your body burns glycogen for fuel. And then replaces your glycogen stores when you eat. Track your calorie intake and eat at a deficit congruent with your weight loss goals and keep doing what you are doing.

cheers
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You have to eat at a deficit.
    When in deficit your body looks for energy. At that point it will turn to either fat or muscle for its energy.
    That is how u will burn fat.

You could look in to intermittent fasting.
    That could be an option
  • MityMax96
    Options

Check the date on those topics as they are debunked myths. You don't burn fat, your body burns glycogen for fuel. And then replaces your glycogen stores when you eat. Track your calorie intake and eat at a deficit congruent with your weight loss goals and keep doing what you are doing.

cheers

Then how does a person get lean??
    Your body oxidizes fat at some point

Maybe I misunderstand you.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat at a deficit. I workout hard and often. My stomach has FINALLY started changing within the last 3 weeks. I would share a picture but I don't feel comfortable with that. However, I haven't lost ANY weight in over 3 months, but my clothes are nearly falling off of me. So, I started taking measurements on 4/21. I will measure again on 5/21. The scale is mean little b*tch...that for the most part can scale weightloss, but when you are down to less than 20lbs left to go until you reach a healthy weight it can be aggravating.

I just have overly informed myself of all aspects of weightloss and exercise and there are so many mixed and contradicting opinions and theories. It is exhausting. lol

Fat burning and being lean is my goal. If I strengthen my heart that is just a super plus!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Good for you.

How long have you been in a caloric deficit??

Have you re-ran your TDEE numbers to make sure you don't need to lower your calories??

If you have been in a caloric deficit for a while.....meaning 8 weeks or more....
    You could try a couple days where you eat at maintenance, with a focus on carbs and protein.....mostly carbs.
    Keep fats low.
    And then return to your deficit to get the remainder of the pounds off.

And also lift weights. :smile:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

cheers

Then how does a person get lean??
    Your body oxidizes fat at some point

Maybe I misunderstand you.

The body definitely uses the fat as fuel - but there used to be a theory that there was a "fat burning zone" for heart rate during exercise. Eat at a defecit and the body will use fat to replace the glycogen stores. (if you are using the muscles.)