HELP! Fell off the Wagon....

Options
I am one of those emotional eaters. I always have been. It is what I was taught as a child.....that and lack of education about proper food choices and portion control have all led to my current weight. Over the last few years I have been re-educating myself on those subjects.

Here lately, I have gone from going to the gym almost everyday to sitting at home thinking about going to the gym. My reason: I feel horrible becuase I did a bit of comfort eating to drown my feelings.

I have friends that can help, I am just usually relunctant to reach out to them. Well, now I am putting it out there. I need some help to get back on that proverbial horse and take care of myself again.

Nutrition tips/tricks to help make me stay the course, workouts to help improve cardio function and stamina any and everything you can think of to help would be wonderful. Anything to help me feel a little better about myself during the day to get me to move my feet back to the car and to the gym in the evening would be a wonder.

Replies

• csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My life long weight problem is due to a lot of the factors you described. Total lack of nutritional understanding, fundamentally not understanding the relevance and importance of calories and how many calories were in any volume of food. I mean, it's embarrassing to think about it, but there it is.

The most important thing I think you can realize is that you didn't fall off a horse and you don't need to get back on a horse. You don't need any tricks. You also don't necessarily need to hit the gym for a certain number of days or for a certain amount of time, although ultimately you'll probably want to do that as you get rid of dysfunctional eating. Put simply, there is no horse. There's nothing immoral about your binge eating. Its only consequence is that you ingested the exact number of calories in that food with scientifically predictable effects on your weight and health

To start you should figure out how many calories you should eat every day (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/), plan a modest and reasonably calorie deficit, and start precisely logging your calories.

If you binge/emotionally eat after that, log all the calories. You will see exactly how many you ate and what your deficit/surplus was. You should be able to estimate pretty accurately whether you are losing or gaining fat (not losing/gaining weight, which is pretty much irrelevant, even though it will correspond with fat loss in the long term). Once I saw those honest and exact numbers, but knew that absolutely no food was off limits to me and I could build meals every day for the rest of my life with whatever types of food I wanted in them, I've found it very easy to do it every day.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am one of those emotional eaters. I always have been. It is what I was taught as a child.....that and lack of education about proper food choices and portion control have all led to my current weight. Over the last few years I have been re-educating myself on those subjects.

Here lately, I have gone from going to the gym almost everyday to sitting at home thinking about going to the gym. My reason: I feel horrible becuase I did a bit of comfort eating to drown my feelings.

I have friends that can help, I am just usually relunctant to reach out to them. Well, now I am putting it out there. I need some help to get back on that proverbial horse and take care of myself again.

Nutrition tips/tricks to help make me stay the course, workouts to help improve cardio function and stamina any and everything you can think of to help would be wonderful. Anything to help me feel a little better about myself during the day to get me to move my feet back to the car and to the gym in the evening would be a wonder.

Hi, I am going through the same thing. i am having some difficult life circumstances and feeling depressed and wanting to eat a lot to drown my sorrows. I know how bad it is, and that it is evil, but I still do it. I really am seriously addicted to food. It is horrible. I really need help. Most people don't understand or at least don't reach out to you with understanding when you have a serious weight problem knowing how bad it truly is.