Szechuan Tofu + Veg Stirfry

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
Found this recipe in the vegetarian meal ideas section of eatingwell.com - Altered it to my tastes and added way more vegetables and it turned out great. The original recipe can be found here: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/szechuan_tofu_stir_fry.html

Here's my take on it, based on what I had on hand:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup water, divided
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar (or balsamic, if you don't have it)
2 teaspoons sugar (could use substitute if you have it)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
1 tsp cayenne, or to taste
1 teaspoon plus 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
1 10.5 ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 yellow onion, sliced
2 small zucchini, julienned into 2 inch sticks
3 very small bell peppers, red and green (we had small organics in the fridge to use up)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1/2 3.5 ounce package enoki mushrooms, cleaned

Very easy - Took about 20 mins once everything was chopped up.

1) Combine 1/4 cup water, soy sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, spices and 1 tsp cornstarch. Set aside.
2) Cut tofu into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces and pat dry. Toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch to coat.
3) Heat oil in a skillet on med-high. Add tofu and let brown on each side, stirring/turning only occasionally (every 2-3 mins or so). Remove to a plate and reserve.
4) Reduce heat to medium. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Add onions, zucchini, peppers, garlic and ginger. Toss and saute, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stir and add mushrooms, cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir the reserved soy sauce mixture and pour it over the vegetable mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Add the tofu and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more. Serve!

Makes 4 servings

Per serving, per my changes and using my specific ingredients:
Calories 192
Carbs 19
Fat 8
Protein 11
Fiber 3
Sodium 641

I had mine with 3/4 cup of cooked rice to supplement it. Can easily be eaten will all sorts of other sides. Really would have been delicious with green beans but we didn't have any on hand. In the future, I'd leave out the mushrooms. They didn't add much in terms of flavour. Also, this dish is quite spicy to my specifications, so adjust accordingly.

Enjoy!
Meag

Replies