FitBit / MFP calorie logging question

Options
livingtx
livingtx Posts: 19 Member
I ordered a FitBit this week, but it hasn't arrived yet. Do you log your calories in MFP or in FitBit's website? If I log my food in MFP, will it sync my food from MFP?

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you have your accounts synced (through the "apps" tab on MFP), then you should log your food and any exercise that might not be accurately captured by the Fitbit (swimming, cycling, etc) directly into MFP. MFP will transfer that information to the Fitbit website. Make sure you record your times (start and duration) carefully if you're adding in any extra exercise, because it does make a big difference in the way the information is captured and transferred. The Fitbit site will transfer to MFP any adjustments to your daily calorie goal based on your actual activity for the day (taking into account any exercise on MFP; you typically need to give it a couple of minutes to sync properly), adding calories to your goal for extra activity and, if you enable the setting, taking away calories from your goal for less activity.
  • livingtx
    livingtx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A follow on question.... I have a Wahoo fitness bluetooth heart rate monitor. If I wear the heart rate monitor AND the FitBit, are they smart enough to sync together for an activity on MFP? or will I end up with 2 entries for the same activity (one from FitBit and one from Wahoo HR monitor)?
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    A follow on question.... I have a Wahoo fitness bluetooth heart rate monitor. If I wear the heart rate monitor AND the FitBit, are they smart enough to sync together for an activity on MFP? or will I end up with 2 entries for the same activity (one from FitBit and one from Wahoo HR monitor)?

THAT I can't help you with :ohwell: . Does the HR monitor sync directly with MFP as well? I've used a Fitbit with MFP for nearly 2 years now so I'm pretty well-versed on that front, but I've never used another device as well. Hopefully someone can answer your question! :flowerforyou:
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If they both sync to mfp then you will have 2'entries for the same exercise.
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    If they both sync to mfp then you will have 2'entries for the same exercise.

Well, if you perform the exercise while wearing the Fitbit, there wouldn't be an additional entry created for the activity on that side, it would just be incorporated with the rest of the activity for the day. The only way there would be 2 activity log entries is if the OP created one on top of the entry that (it looks like) will sync from the HRM.

I think the real question is if the HRM entry will transfer over to the Fitbit site. I don't know if the HRM transfer is designed to transfer the start time and duration information that is required to make an accurate entry to the Fitbit site, and even if so if the sync/transfer process between MFP and Fitbit is designed to pick that up. When you create an activity record on the MFP site, it transfers to Fitbit not by just adding the calories to your day, but actually overriding the calories that Fitbit thinks you burned for that time period (based on the start time and duration you enter) with the calories from the activity record.

This might be a good question for either MFP tech support or the Fitbit group - or maybe just try it out and wait and see what happens!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Not sure but if they sync they become Wabit; and terrapins always beat Wabits.