What's the most ridiculous diet you've heard of?

Options

Replies

• EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The photosynthesis diet. Basically, no food. Period. You get water and sunlight. Granted, the only people I've ever heard of attempting this were doing it for ethical reasons (ie, don't kill anything ever, even plants), rather than weight loss reasons.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    The "lose 10 lbs in 7 days" diet that is repinned 1000000X. The one that is like, "day 1 eat all the fruit you want, except banana. Day 2 eat all the veggies you want, but no potatoes. Day 3..." I think day 5 even has a cabbage soup of sorts. Ugh.
  • Lowynes
    Lowynes Posts: 2
    Options
    My friend tried to live off of grilled cheese and Ramen noodles during his sophomore year to save money. He made it about 3 or 4 months before the complete lack of vitamin C led to him developing scurvy.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Years ago a co-worker went on the 'soup diet'. I don't know what was in the soup but she'd have it three times a day and every day of the week she could add something for lunch with the soup. For example, one day it was the soup and SEVEN tomatoes. So freakin' gross.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Had to look up this whole tapeworm thing: Because of the health risk, tapeworms are banned for sale in the United Kingdom, the same as in the United States. That doesn't mean you can't buy them — or some other potentially dangerous substance being marketed to hopeful dieters as tapeworm — online. In August 2013, the Iowa Department of Health notified public health workers about a woman who had visited her doctor after becoming ill from eating a tapeworm pill she purchased on the Internet. Mosley traveled to Kenya and obtained his parasite from cysts containing tapeworm eggs on a cow's tongue he located in a slaughterhouse. Can we just pause here for a collective "Eww!"? He ate three of the cysts and, six weeks later, gulped down a tiny camera remotely connected to an iPad to discover if he had any, in his case, welcome guests in his intestine.

That is crazy.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends massive calorie restriction, promotes snake oil "fixes" or both.

The HCG diet is a bad one. Take HCG and eat 500 calories a day. Sure, you'll lose weight, but you're not going to sustain any lean mass, so welcome to a screwed up metabolism, especially once you jump off the diet and start eating like a human again! ^__^
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    clean eating diet
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Cabbage soup diet. I was put on it by a Navy recruiter when I was a teenager. I lasted about 3 days. You do not even wanna know what happens when you eat nothing but a natural laxative for 3 days straight. Thankfully I ended up getting a scholarship and went off to college instead.
  • tenaciousdee78
    tenaciousdee78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    yep! Lol!!!

In January my husband decided he was going on a diet of just having cup a soups...it didnt last very long and he ended up feeling quite ill
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    The Air Diet

Also known as "L’Air Fooding" this French fad diet was popularized by a Dolce & Gabbana campaign. It showed Madonna and a few other celebrities holding up delicious foods to their mouths but not eating them. The concept of this diet is that you cook the food, put it on the plate, serve a setting like you were actually going to eat it and then rather than consume it, you hold it up to your mouth but do not take a bite. It is supposed to fool your body into thinking you've eaten. However, the diet is not completely without substance (no pun intended), dieters are allowed to drink water and have some salt soup (which is exactly what it sounds like: hot water and salt).

Starving people should be allowed to kill anyone who's tried this.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Exactly
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It seems like at least half of the people I know have tried that awful cayenne/honey/lemon juice cleanse or whatever. I have yet to actually meet someone who has finished it in its entirety on account of how sick it makes them. :ohwell:
    I did this once. I didn't even manage to make it a full day. I caved by dinner time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My mother bought the Beverly Hills diet book and at one point when I was a teen I was all excited to try it, but I could never figure out how to manage the logistics, like getting all the necessary food. It's totally wacky--all about not combining foods but eating all you want, but of course the rules make it quite difficult to eat a lot of calories overall, too complicated.

I remember there being lots of pineapple. I think there was a pineapple on the cover.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The baby food diet
  • jellybeans37
    jellybeans37 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    the bite diet. Don't count calories, count your bites. It actually works for some.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Anything with the words "detox" or "cleanse."
  • JBfoodforlife
    JBfoodforlife Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    The 750 cal a day diet (Invention of my own oh so many years ago...lol)... I needed to lose 30 pounds in 30 days when I was in the Marines... (Longer story, wont bore you...)... So I decided that 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, a hot dog for lunch and a McDonald's hamburger happy meal with diet coke for dinner was good... Oh and all the diet pepsi I wanted... Needless to say I did lose the weight... But plenty of days I had to stop and sit down or id pass out... Crazy!!
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done the Dukan diet? It was such a craze a few years back and I think it's still on bestseller shelves in some bookstores. I did it for a week and lost 5 lbs - got constipated, couldn't sleep, had cold sweats, gave in, gained 10 lbs right away. :flowerforyou:
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    M&M diet. Eat only M&Ms.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The "Israeli Military Diet" - my Mum did it when I was a kid, 8 day diet where each day you only eat one food:

Days One - Two: Apples (black tea/coffee allowed)
    Days Three - Four: Cheese (black tea/coffee allowed)
    Days Five - Six: Chicken (black tea/coffee allowed)
    Days Seven - Eight: Salad (black tea/coffee allowed)
  • ghostsnstuff
    ghostsnstuff Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The candy bar and coca cola diet. Not even kidding.

Seriously?