Binge Days: Why they can be beneficial for your weight loss

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I realize that for some, this may work. However, I know myself well enough to know that I'm an all or nothing person. If I had a cheat day, it would turn into a week, then into a year, and then 34 years! For instance, that may happen to you as well. You mentioned Friday's were your cheat day, and then you said "Sunday" you get right back on track...is it possible you've begun 2 days of cheating in a row?

As far as rewarding myself? I do that with seeing what I can do physically, and the weight I've lost. That will always be my reward.

I was like you when I first started, then it all came naturally. Now if I over eat one day, next day will be more restricted...I am not saying it's a good or bad thing. I am just saying you can change your eating habit by giving it more time and practice...:)
  • albayin
    Options
    I am sorry for the confusion! By binge days, I mean a free day. Not stuffing yourself full of food at one time! But rather a day of eating foods you love to eat!
    Why not eat foods you love on a regular basis and simply track them towards your calorie total?

Because for some it's impossible to eat within calorie budget but still eating the food they(we) love? I don't know you but I can't give up after just one bite of brownie and how am I gonna stay within 1500 calories?...but again I don't have a good eating habit to begin with.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You talk a lot about rewarding yourself with food. I don't think that's entirely healthy. If you're having cheat days and cheat meals then you need to be careful that you don't eat away your weekly calorie deficit.

For me, it took a lot of work to get myself away from seeing food as a reward - these days I'd rather reward myself with something else, new shoes, clothes, a massage. I fit whatever I want to eat daily into my calories and my macros - works for me!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Agree with Mr.M Binge eating is simply not healthy. It represents a poor relationship with food. Rather then binge on brownies till you want to puke then swear them off for months and months why not simply try having 1 brownie and counting it towards you calorie goal? Seems much more reasonable. Also, if you have a weekly cheat meal or cheat day, you could potentially erase an entire week of dieting. This becomes more of an issue the closer you get to being lean. Just do that math. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a lb. If you are 500 calories below maintenance for 6 days then you are on track to lose the lb if you keep up with that deficit on day 7. If instead you binge and go over your maintenance by 2000 calories you have cut away 2/3 of the weeks progress. If you go over by 3000, you ruined the whole week. Rather then restricting then binging, try moderation. It's a more long term sustainable plan.

QTF. That is why I occasionally indulge myself with a favorite treat, not because I earned it because I was "good" all week, but because I want to enjoy the treat. And if I go over my calorie allotment by more than 500cals, I balance it out with more exercise or less calories the rest of the week. I don't want to continue to take 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

But mostly, I just fit my treats into my daily eating.
  • LessIsMoreCB
    LessIsMoreCB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have to avoid the stuff I used to love altogether. It was like a drug to me! I had serious physical withdrawal. Even a taste here and there gives me a headache. I just found new favorites that love me back! So much fun trying healthy dishes from different parts of the world! Take a world tour of flavor. ;)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals. I don't have cheat days. I never cheat. Because cheating implies I'm doing something wrong and should be ashamed. Instead, I eat what I want, feel good about my decisions, accept that sometimes I could've made a better decision, and lose weight. *looks at ticker* yeah, I think it works.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    For me I had one bad day where I pigged out on chocolate and felt horrible afterwards...I felt guilty plus had horrible stomach pains. I have never done that again...I still eat chocolate once in a while but it fits into my daily calories. The odd time we have pizza and I just have 2 slices and I am good. As tempting as it is sometimes having some potato chips within my calories knowing fairly well I could eat the entire bag but don't...I honestly couldn't have a cheat day because I would feel that all of my hard work just went down the drain. So in order for me to do it I don't cut anything out that I love...because I know I can still have it especially on my workout days. That is great that it works for you and you don't feel guilty. I guess everyone has their way of doing things and some things work better for others. Congratulations on your weight loss by the way :-) And thanks for sharing what works well for you!
  • melissa_tn
    melissa_tn Posts: 37
    Options
    I let myself have a treat when I have a craving, but just count everything into my daily total. If I felt like I was "dieting" I couldn't maintain, but since I'm changing a lifestyle, I'm trying to make it realistic and don't deprive myself. Then I'll be less likely to fall off the wagon and "binge". It can feel a bit like a chemistry project, but at the same time is really simple as far as you have to take in less than you use up in a day... best of luck to you!
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    I get what you're going for but using food as a reward is not good for your relationship with food. It's reinforcing that when you do something good you should eat a "cheat". Saying things like "I've earned it" or "I'll get back on tomorrow" is setting you up for failure once you stop logging. I'm all for a treat now and then, but I don't justify it with my progress. You need to make sure that when you are done dieting your lifestyle is sustainable.

And maybe if you didn't want everyone to interpret your post as eating too much you shouldn't have titled it Binge Days. A true binge day would put you between 10,000 to 20,000 calories in a single day.
  • juggie49
    juggie49 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for realizing that you don't have to avoid eating the foods you like forever. Meh The very thought of never having a slice of cheesecake or bread or a big fattening latte is just depressing.

And for those who suggest that we should eat and love only healthy foods and therefore never have to have a "cheat day": you are disingenuous. You seriously have NOTHING you like that's just a tad unhealthy or causes you to go over your calorie limit? Why do you hang out here? You're the first ones who claim that this forum is "for everyone" but you just CAN'T WAIT to prove your supposed superiority because you never have an off day. Haven't you heard that the desire for perfectionism is one of the unrealistic expectations that yo yo dieters and those with low self esteem deal with every day?

Yes, I respect those who stick to their guns. That's GREAT! But it's not great when you put others down for doing what works for them.

NO diet is sustainable long term if you NEVER treat yourself. You need to have reasonable expectations and those expectations vary from person to person.

Oh, and this DOES work. I've lost 20 pounds. I eat healthy, most of the time, and exercise regularly. But I also find a way to fit in treats. Remember, everything in moderation.

Have a good evening everyone.
  • kelCshea
    kelCshea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There's actually some scientific data to back up why "cheat meals" or "refeed meals" are beneficial to fat-loss....it's all about planning, and knowing what *type* of "cheat" is the best for you goals...

http://averagefitnessfreak.com/refeed-to-lose-body-fat/
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!! Can't stand all the negativity seriously people grow the hell up! I agree with cheat meals or days once in a while if you can handle it. If you don't like it don't do it!! Very simple :bigsmile:
  • albayin
    Options
    I honestly don't understand this rage either...but of course I didn't read every single post and don't know anything about OP's background or other posts...

I felt recently this forum was full of angry people....why is that? a little bit more calories maybe?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    There's actually some scientific data to back up why "cheat meals" or "refeed meals" are beneficial to fat-loss....it's all about planning, and knowing what *type* of "cheat" is the best for you goals...

This is the start of what I was getting at. It is not required for the majority of people. Very lean people are the exception.

Also, from memory it only boosts leptin for a short period of time.

All about leptin here. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-1.html
  • albayin
    Options

This is the start of what I was getting at. It is not required for the majority of people. Very lean people are the exception.

Also, from memory it only boosts leptin for a short period of time.

All about leptin here. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-1.html

umm...you might be under attack pretty soon since many on this forum think that Lyle McDonalds was bro...scientist. Just sayin~
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for the confusion! By binge days, I mean a free day. Not stuffing yourself full of food at one time! But rather a day of eating foods you love to eat!

I eat everyday the food that I like to eat, and I don't eat things that I don't like or care for. So everyday is a free day for me or a binge day, based in your definition.

The difference is that what I like to eat and what I don't like to eat, it may be different (in fact, I know it is!), to what you or everybody else like.

You also mention "love to eat," but I prefer "like to eat," because I like food but I don't love food. Food for me is fuel so I eat to live and not the other way around. But that is just me, so let's leave it like that.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for realizing that you don't have to avoid eating the foods you like forever. Meh The very thought of never having a slice of cheesecake or bread or a big fattening latte is just depressing.

And for those who suggest that we should eat and love only healthy foods and therefore never have to have a "cheat day": you are disingenuous. You seriously have NOTHING you like that's just a tad unhealthy or causes you to go over your calorie limit? Why do you hang out here? You're the first ones who claim that this forum is "for everyone" but you just CAN'T WAIT to prove your supposed superiority because you never have an off day. Haven't you heard that the desire for perfectionism is one of the unrealistic expectations that yo yo dieters and those with low self esteem deal with every day?

Yes, I respect those who stick to their guns. That's GREAT! But it's not great when you put others down for doing what works for them.

NO diet is sustainable long term if you NEVER treat yourself. You need to have reasonable expectations and those expectations vary from person to person.

Oh, and this DOES work. I've lost 20 pounds. I eat healthy, most of the time, and exercise regularly. But I also find a way to fit in treats. Remember, everything in moderation.

Have a good evening everyone.

We should be BEST friends! Two great minds think alike!
  • Stilllosing26
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!! Can't stand all the negativity seriously people grow the hell up! I agree with cheat meals or days once in a while if you can handle it. If you don't like it don't do it!! Very simple :bigsmile:
    You're welcome! I LOVE my cheat meals! Couldn't live without em!
  • Stilllosing26
    Options

Rock on!!
This discussion has been closed.