Lunch!

Options
CassieR6
CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
Ok, so I am usually pretty typical. Everyday I usually have a half (I mean one slice of wheat bread) turkey sandwich with just turkey, cheese, and olive oil mayo. Sometimes I will bring a salad, with just dressing, lettuce, a little cheese, and croutons. I am getting tired of the sandwich and frankly its too small! I love sandwiches though. But I feel if I made it any bigger or more interesting I would be using too many calories for lunch. So I am looking for ideas for lunch so I am not hungry all the time. I hope this makes sense. I do work in an office so I have access to a fridge and microwave. Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Have a look at my diary, it's open. May give you some ideas.
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been eating lite Italian bread. Off the top of my head, I think it's 40 calories a slice. I think the flavor is still good (doesn't taste like diet/lite) and I get a full sammich.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I usually just bring leftovers from dinner, but when I can't, I make a plougman's lunch with any cold cuts I can find, a piece of bread with avocado and hot sauce, hard boiled egg, cucumbers and sliced bell peppers, tomatoes with Montreal Steak spices... Anything that I have on hand, with a little of this and that.

You can also have a nice salad with leftover salmon or grilled shrimp, it will give you a lot of protein, and if you don't want to be bored, swap lettuce for a mix of cherry tomatoes, corn kernels, red onions and avocado or anything else, You can add healthy grains too!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Get creative with your sandwich. Add veggies, change your meat, change your bread, sauces, and so on. The possibilities are endless.
    My favorite is an everything bagel thin (110 calories), with 1 tablespoon each of lite veggie cream cheese (35 calories) and hummus (35 calories), two ounces of deli ham or turkey or sometimes I even skip this (0-60 calories), and every veggie I have to add. Cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, whatever is on hand. It's really filling, tastes all fancy shmancy, and averages about 250 calories.
  • thin2win777
    thin2win777 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You could ditch the mayonnaise and replace it with 5 cups of seasoned broccoli :)
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I had a soft taco today. 1 med flour tortilla, 1.5 oz canned chicken, 1/4c cheese, 1/8 of an avocado, salsa and lettuce. It was very good! You could also add a cup of soup to go along with your sandwich.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am in love with this. And you can eat the whole can...I eat it with 1 slice of roti, cause it's fairly low on the GI

Canned Tuna Ceviche
    Servings: 2 • Size: 3/4 cup tuna, 1/4 avocado • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 153 • Fat: 8 g • Carb: 9 g • Fiber: 3 g • Protein: 15 g • Sugar: 1 g
    Sodium: 187 mg (without salt) • Cholesterol: 26 mg

Ingredients:

2 tbsp minced red onion
    1 to 1 1/2 limes
    kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 (7 oz) can chunk white albacore tuna packed in water, (5.1 oz drained)
    1 medium seeded plum tomato, finely diced
    2 tbsp chopped cilantro
    1 jalapeño, minced (keep seeds for spicy) or you can use pickled
    3 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
    2 oz sliced avocado (1/2 medium haas)

Mix it all up. I have a lovely blood orange fused olive oil that works great with it too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Get creative with your sandwich. Add veggies, change your meat, change your bread, sauces, and so on. The possibilities are endless.
    My favorite is an everything bagel thin (110 calories), with 1 tablespoon each of lite veggie cream cheese (35 calories) and hummus (35 calories), two ounces of deli ham or turkey or sometimes I even skip this (0-60 calories), and every veggie I have to add. Cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, whatever is on hand. It's really filling, tastes all fancy shmancy, and averages about 250 calories.

This was all really similar to what would have been my suggestion! Mix it up!

I was gonna say thins instead of regular bread, especially. I haven't tried the bagel thins (putting that on my list now)...but Aldi has whole wheat "Sandwich Skinnies" for 90-110 calories depending on which variety you try...so good, and you feel more like you're eating an entire sandwich. They are also great for open faced sandwiches. I often sub them for toast at breakfast, even if I just use 1/2 of the roll (top or bottom). Easy way to save calories and feel full.