C25K not enough?

Options
I have been doing the C25K for a few weeks now and am currently working on week 3, which has 2 - 3 minute runs and 2 - 90 second runs. By the end of the 3 minute runs I am done. I can not run any more and need the break of walking for a few minutes. However, by the end of the 30 minute work out, I feel like I could do it all again. I am tired, but I still have energy left. I do not think I could increase the speed of my runs because I am so tired at the end of each of them, so what do I do? I hate the feeling of not working as hard as I can! Is there any issue with doing the running part twice before I do my cool down??

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Congrats on what you have accomplished so far, keep it up!
    I'm about to start on week 8, so i'm not too far removed from where you are right now. When i was on week 3 i thought i was going to die when i was trying to finish those 3 minute runs...and the following week when it went up to 5 minutes i was hoping i would die since i thought it would be less painful! But something happened in week 5 at the right time and i realized it was possible to do this.
    The fact that you have energy at the end of the workout is probably a good sign that you are meeting the goals needed to move on. I would suggest staying with the program so you don't burn yourself out or even get hurt and then maybe find something extra to do, even it if is walking a bit extra at the end or other exercises.
    God bless!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I don't think there would be any harm in doing an additional interval or two (or three), but I would only go for as long as you feel comfortable. If you don't think you could do the whole workout again, just stop when you feel you've done enough. I'm doing a 5K training program through Adidas micoach. The last two runs have felt really good so I've added an extra 3 minute jog to the end. I still feel really good at the end of the session and haven't had any extra muscle stiffness or the like afterwards.

Remember to give you body a good stretch out afterwards. Also, be careful not to increase the time/distance too much as doing too much too soon can result in shin splints or other issues.
  • charmwhite
    charmwhite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i would feel the same way when i was at w3 so i'd add a 60sec run at the end of the last walk but before the cool down just to push myself that little bit more. now that i'm at w5 (it took me about 6 weeks to get from W3 to W5 btw) i'm having to stretch alot more so i build that into my workout time too by stretching after the warm up but before the first run (i pause the iphone app while i do it).

keep it up! its so great once you push through to the next week!
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. To make it a more fulfilling workout, I ran a couple of extra rounds. It did not cause any problems and I felt better when I was done with my workout.